Orange unlimited data?

Guest Wozbacca

and remember Orange's unlimited bundle is for current and new Premier and Dolphin customers ONLY, unlike TMobile's which can eb added as long as you've got a compatible handset irrespective of how much you spend ev month...

This could prove to be a real downer... however I am willing to wait till next week to see how this pans out... could be exactly what I need to push me over to T. But then I'll just be waiting for them to get on and release their Vario II....

I hate waiting for handsets... maybe I should just go for the Blackberry! It has IM too now you know!

Does anyone know when the Samsung Blackjack will be out on a network... don't really want to fork out for this offline.

Guest RufusA

The "Orange World Unlimited Bundle", looks very similar to the old "Orange GPRS Access Pack" of yore (circa 2003?). Both offering "unlimited" browsing but restricted to their WAP gateway.

FWIW the old Access Pack was open to anyone with a GPRS enabled phone (rather than selected tariffs) and cost just

Guest spacerace
The "Orange World Unlimited Bundle", looks very similar to the old "Orange GPRS Access Pack" of yore (circa 2003?). Both offering "unlimited" browsing but restricted to their WAP gateway.

FWIW the old Access Pack was open to anyone with a GPRS enabled phone (rather than selected tariffs) and cost just

Guest jchamier
as for traffic from the phone or via a modem could be tracked, i've notice when i have my c500 and mpx200 that there are different gateway/proxy setting for different things (MMS/WAP etc) so they may ba able to track what data comes through via some sort of configuration in the modem driver software.

Almost nobody in the UK uses mobile data (apart from people on this forum) and others with smartphones and devices. Why? Because of the unpredictable cost.

If this plan exists for unlimited, it should have a max limit, perhaps 100gig per month, for the

Guest spacerace
Almost nobody in the UK uses mobile data (apart from people on this forum) and others with smartphones and devices. Why? Because of the unpredictable cost.

If this plan exists for unlimited, it should have a max limit, perhaps 100gig per month, for the

Guest danwatson1974

I agree that data costs can mount up, and I also think that the Web 'n' Walk offer is about the only sensible one on the market at the moment.

I also think that Orange will have to follow suit very soon, or risk losing a lot of good customers.

It seems odd that Orange were at the very forefront of the Smartphone revolution with the various SPVs, and now are in danger of dropping the ball because the services they want people to use are too expensive :)

Still, on the bright side, I can remember when so called 'High Speed Data' (HSCSD) was charged at 21 pence per minute on a maximum 28.8 kbps ;)

I also think that some of the convergance solutions, and the increase in WiFi availability will render the whole debate obsolete by some time in 2007 .... we will all be using WiFi on our smartphones and pocket PCs.... even for voice calls - hence all the Networks (and CPWs) scramble to own their own ISPs and provide you with a wireless modem / router.............

Cheers,

Dan.

Edited by danwatson1974

Guest chucky.egg

I think the 3G minutes are for video calls, not sure though.

But for me, using under 200min and 150txt but LOADS of data, it's a poor deal.

The advantage of WnW is that you can add it to any bundle (or even PAYG), so I don't have to pay for "allowance" that I'll never use.

Guest dhardy

I've just got off the phone to OCS - was holding for 21 minutes :-(

the new unlimited GPRS/3G tarrif is available from the 22nd August on business tarrifs, she wasn't clear on the details, just the date it kicks off ......

Guest magic_peanuts
Depending on the meaning of the 'cross net minutes - 450 for 3G phones' from Orange could mean TMob is the best value or possibly Orange Panther.

3G minutes are extra minutes given if you connect a 3G phone to Orange

Guest Dr Who
3G minutes are extra minutes given if you connect a 3G phone to Orange

Seems odd - is that because you have paid more for the handset or because they intend to shaft you for data charges at some point, I wonder?

If this includes unlimited texting and data it definitely stacks up against the FlexT tariffs. Just noticed that on The Register this is meant to apply only to 18 month contracts unfortunately.

Just found this on a previous Register article,

"The 'Panther' package - "For people who like all the extras". Not in a massage parlour way, one presumes. ***Comes with inclusive 3G minutes***. They would give the most expensive package the coolest name."

Which makes it sound like it is for video calling. In which case Orange just became uncompetitive again! They really could do with being a bit more clear on the website.

Edited by Dr Who

Guest pd.ryder
The advantage of WnW is that you can add it to any bundle (or even PAYG), so I don't have to pay for "allowance" that I'll never use.
Same here. I don't use much of my current 'allowance' (120 x-net mins + 250 text for

Guest nforsans
Same here. I don't use much of my current 'allowance' (120 x-net mins + 250 text for
Edited by nforsans

Guest hotphil

It does kinda look like they're trying to play catchup but just can't get the numbers to work in their budgeting system/get it signed-off!

I really would be interested to know what percentage/numbers of people they've got on their retention system as leaving to go to T-Mobile for the unlimited data.... bet it's quite scary.

Guest pete.major

I really don't understand where the operators are coming from on data charges. I'm on O2 with no extra bundles and I think they charge me

Edited by pete.major

Guest WILBUR
I went in to Voda to ask about the TyTN (darn tmobile has not brought it out Vario II yet). I asked them about their data prices and they told me that their data bundles are to be DISCONTINUED in Sept and they have no unlimited data option.

I talked to Vodafone CS the other day - and they said the instead of data bundles, what they have is something like Flext - except that instead of everything being swappable, you can only swap your texts allowance for other data services. She said that if a tariff gave me (say) 500 texts, I could use that for 500 texts (obviously), 25MB (at 20 texts per meg) or 166 MMS (3 each) or any combination of the above.

This sounds very reasonable - but i've been unable to confirm it with anyone in a shop. If true it would be great value - shame they haven't got any HTC phones to go with the tariff...

and re the Orange

Edited by WILBUR

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.