My new Orange M600 - Questions

Guest carlosp_uk

Guest carlosp_uk

H'lo all.

I've got a new Orange M600, I love it. The wifi means I can finally do so much more with my device and not having to get the stylus out all the time is great too, compared to the M500. Love the photo contacts too! I think we all know that Windows Mobile still has a long way to go in terms of funcionality and sometimes the sheer idiot oversights of this o/s make me incredibly annoyed, but that's another thread.

Anyway, I've got a couple of questions I've not been able to find the answers to online. Please would anyone that knows be able to help me? Here goes...

1. Syncing an IMAP email account and deleting emails

I can sync up my IMAP email account with no problems - very happy. However, when I delete the emails on my pocket pc, and then re-sync (ie click send/receive again), the emails aren't actually deleted from the server! Is there any way to actually get these changes synchronised up, so I don't have to go in and delete the same emails all over again when I access the account from another computer?

2. The default 'Outlook Email' account

I don't sync emails with outlook. I haven't even ticked this sync option on Activesync. So how do I get rid of the "Outlook Emails" account in messaging, or at the very least hide it so I don't have to scroll through it every time I move between my various accounts.

3. MMS over wifi

Is this possible? If I'm connected to my home wireless network and send a text message, the M600 still connects to GPRS to send the message. I'd much rather send it via the internet and save some money. Not possible?

4. Downloading .cab files in Pocket IE

Wanted to install the freeware program 'xnview' to view/edit my images. I thought I'd save myself some time, so rather than turning on my desktop PC and going to the xnview.com website, I browsed to it via wifi on my PPC instead. However, when I clicked on the .CAB link, it actually downloaded the contents of the .cab file into a new browser window rather than giving me the option to save the file somewhere. Is this a problem with the webserver, or the PPC? Is there any way to simulate the functionality of the desktop version of IE where you can right-click on a link and "save as" ??

5. Syncing my music files wirelessly

Almost the last question, I promise!

I have a linux box with a samba network share hosting all my mp3 music. Brilliant, love it, works like a charm. I have a 4Gb SD card to take out on the road with me. HOWEVER.. ..if I want to get music sync'd up onto my pocket PC I currently have to take out the SD card, put it into a PC and copy across the files manually (or using WMP10 on the desktop computer itself). Which is annoying as the whole point of having wifi should be that you don't need to use a separate computer!

Now, don't get me wrong, I do know you can copy files from the network using the built-in (or another) explorer app, but that's not what I mean. I'm talking about proper sync'ing here, i.e. either sync-up using ID3 tags, or at the very least just mirror the contents of a given folder / check for new music files.

It would be wonderful if there was a program, that runs on the M600 itself, that was able to synchronise a remote (network) music library with the storage card in this way. Does such a program exist? I could then set my M600 to connect automatically overnight and sync up my music collection. (if it's possible to auto-launch a wifi connection, I wouldn't want to leave the wifi on overnight, my M600 would melt the table)

6. Activesync over wifi

If anyone ever works out how to get round this limitation they can have one of my kidneys. But given that you can't (grrr i have to use bluetooth) is there a way.. ..to make your favourite web pages available offline WITHOUT using Activesync? What I'm saying is that, without turning on any other PCs in my house and JUST using my wifi net connection, can I automatically make my favourite web pages available for offline browing on the tube each day?

Thanks in advance for this list, and I hope the answers in this thread will help other people experiencing any similar issues

Carlos

Edited by carlosp_uk

Guest chucky.egg

1. IMAP - Never used IMAP, but I believe that the data is stored on the server, and not your device, so deleting it from your device wont necessarily delete if from the server. I'd google it personally

2. Outlook Emails - I dont know of a way to hide it, and it's a built-in account so theres no way to delete it that I know of either

3. MMS over WiFi - In theory it could be possible, but I suspect that the networks will block it from anything other than a connection made on their network.

4. Download CABs - Mine doesn't do this, but I'm sure that other people have reported this. Try searching for it

5. Sync music over WiFi - I dont know of any software that will sync file selections like that (WMP is the only app that I know of that syncs music selections). If you find an app to sync you can use SK Schema to schedule turning WiFi on at (say) 1am

6. Download web pages - I'm sure I've heard of an app that can grab HTML pages automatically, but for the life of me I can't think of the name. Again you could use Schema to enable WiFi to get the pages... if you can find the app

Guest pd.ryder

I would imagine (6) could be adressed using an AvantGo client - I used to use it on my Palm(spit!) a few years ago. Check out their website for device support. :)

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest prusling

Have a look at Airscanner AirFix Beta at www.airscanner.com to enable activesync over wifi - that said I've never got it to work on my Universal...

Guest carlosp_uk
Have a look at Airscanner AirFix Beta at www.airscanner.com to enable activesync over wifi

Hi, thanks to everyone for suggestions. Unfortunately, AirFix doesn't do what you think it does! See the text in red on this web page: http://airscanner.com/downloads/airfix/airfix.html

"Please note that AirFix is not designed to allow ActiveSync over a WiFi connection."

I have to use Bluetooth for Activesync. I'm still looking for a tool that will enable my bluetooth connection -> load activesync -> sync up -> disable bluetooth, at the moment I have to keep doing the whole process manually via the comm manager!