working smartphone snes emulator(s)! and avalon5's new smartsnes

Guest mikeeey

Guest mikeeey

well after many long weeks of trying just about every snes emulator i came across two that when u use them together work perfect (well almost).

First you'l need masterall's version of pocketsnes, which you can download down below (PocketSNES.rar). And you'l also need the version of smartsnes made by AvAlong5 (sm_rtsnes_eng_.exe) (also downloadable down below).

First Run masterall's version of pocketsnes and enable the sound. Click here for enabling sound so it works

Now run AvAlong5's version of smartsnes and load a rom and try it out for yourself. Make sure youve put the roms in the same directory as smartsnes.

It doesnt appear to play 4mb roms but the only one i was tryin was super mario rpg

I'm using a t-mobile sda and hav it clocked at 264mhz.

I got best results with sound when:

in pocketsnes settings:

Sound emulation on

Enable Echo off

Stereo off

Reverse Stereo off

Interpolate Sound on

Envelope Height Reading on

Alt Sound Decode on

Fix Frequency(it acually makes it worse) off

Audio Quality 8bit

Sample Rate all the way low

smartsnes options:

only thing that really makes a difference is frameskip wich i had turned on at 2. but sometimes at 0 it played nice and smoothe too.

supprisingly i clocked it back to 180mhz and it played the same as it did as 264mhz. i restarted it jsut to make sure and it still played smoothe at 180... :)

hope it works! ;)

keep scrolling down and avalon5 posted a new smartsnes

Edited by mikeeey

Guest zfunk007

I tried what you said but I fail to see the advantage. I get better results when I just use PocketSNES. I can get close to full speed out of some games by simply using that program with my phone overclocked. I don't see how running 2 programs at once can help considering the fact that it takes up more of the phones memory and slows it down. I ran Super Mario World with the method you mentioned and it ran very slow compared to the speed I can get out of just using PocketSNES with my phone overclocked.

I have a Cingular 2125 Smartphone over clocked to 264Mhz. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I don't see the benefit. Please post your results if you have tried it. I am curious to see how it works.

Guest Jamma14
here i am friends,

here's Sm@rtSnes V2 (translate in english 4u) with sounds options....

go to options-sounds-enable emulation and synchro....YOU MUST RE-LAUCH SM@RTSNES TO ENABLE SOUND!!!

you will found french version on:

Smartphone france

Sincerly, AvAlon5

:)

Merci beaucoup Avalon!

It works very well!!

But a few suggestions:

--"Portrait" and "Portrait large" are the same

--Enabling "Smooth Stretch" in these modes does nothing

--Therefore if wanting to play a game in portrait, the game screen is always just a small square at the top of the phone screen - could you make put this square in the centre of the screen as it is in landscape unstretched?

--Any chance of adding support for Super Metroid as well? ;)

Thanks a lot, James

Guest mikeeey
I tried what you said but I fail to see the advantage. I get better results when I just use PocketSNES. I can get close to full speed out of some games by simply using that program with my phone overclocked. I don't see how running 2 programs at once can help considering the fact that it takes up more of the phones memory and slows it down. I ran Super Mario World with the method you mentioned and it ran very slow compared to the speed I can get out of just using PocketSNES with my phone overclocked.

I have a Cingular 2125 Smartphone over clocked to 264Mhz. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I don't see the benefit. Please post your results if you have tried it. I am curious to see how it works.

well u dont run both at once. u run pocketsnes first and enable the sound. now exit it. run smartsnes, and there ya go.

for me now if i run pocketsnes its the same as smartsnes but before i did this pocketsnes doesnt work as well. so i guess this fixed both the programs lol.

Guest mikeeey
here i am friends,

go to options-sounds-enable emulation and synchro....YOU MUST RE-LAUCH SM@RTSNES TO ENABLE SOUND!!!

Smartphone france

Sincerly, AvAlon5

thanks avalon5! ;)

loading a save doesnt work tho..

and is there anyway it could play games that are 4mb? such as super mario rpg? if it helps i do hav a snes emulator that worked with super mario rpg but there was no sound.

hmm acually i cant find that one. but i found one that played Kirby Super Star wich is 4mb. and a lot more games that smartsnes cant. Theres no sound tho. also somethin about it makes it play mario kart normally. if u try to play it on smartsnes everything is all squished together and u cant really play.

ill keep looking for the other one tho

if u somehow could take the codes of this version of pocket snes and smartsnes and put it together (with the sound working lol) it would hopefully play a lot more games and run better.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest zfunk007

Ok, well why would it make any difference then if I open one program, close it, and then open another one. If the program is closed why would it effect another program? Why would that make smartsnes work any better? And Super Metroid works great on Pocketsnes with sound enabled. Very playable.

Guest mikeeey
Ok, well why would it make any difference then if I open one program, close it, and then open another one. If the program is closed why would it effect another program? Why would that make smartsnes work any better? And Super Metroid works great on Pocketsnes with sound enabled. Very playable.

because smartsnes uses pocketsnes's audio coding. the way to activate the music is to go into pocketsnes and enable sound and sync. u then exit out, and open it back up and load the rom. well instead u open pocketsnes, enable sound and sync, close it, open smartsnes and load ur rom. The only way to get the sound to work is by enabling it and then closing it and then opening it again. but now u dont hav to worry about using both programs cuz avalon5 has posted a new smartsnes that combines the sound options from pocketsnes and puts it in smartsnes. so... now life is easier. too bad it doesnt play 4mb games, or save doesnt work. if u havnt downloaded that one yet its the 4th comment down from the top.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest mikeeey
thanks avalon5! :)

loading a save doesnt work tho..

and is there anyway it could play games that are 4mb? such as super mario rpg? if it helps i do hav a snes emulator that worked with super mario rpg but there was no sound.

hmm acually i cant find that one. but i found one that played Kirby Super Star wich is 4mb. and a lot more games that smartsnes cant. Theres no sound tho. also somethin about it makes it play mario kart normally. if u try to play it on smartsnes everything is all squished together and u cant really play.

ill keep looking for the other one tho

if u somehow could take the codes of this version of pocket snes and smartsnes and put it together (with the sound working lol) it would hopefully play a lot more games and run better.

o nvm i guess saves do work. u just gota hav more than 1 so it can highlight it and u can select it.

Guest avalon5

hi everybody,

in fact there'is no secrets :

Pocketsnes and Sm@rtsnes are THE SAME PROGRAM ,just optimized.....

Smartsnes is stand alone....

as i know, ALL the roms i've ever test works...

For super metroid Sounds MUST be enable(just due to the digital voices) you will find it on rom hustler...(google is your friend...)

sincerly,

AvAlon5

Guest mikeeey
hi everybody,

in fact there'is no secrets :

Pocketsnes and Sm@rtsnes are THE SAME PROGRAM ,just optimized.....

Smartsnes is stand alone....

as i know, ALL the roms i've ever test works...

For super metroid Sounds MUST be enable(just due to the digital voices) you will find it on rom hustler...(google is your friend...)

sincerly,

AvAlon5

so avalon would u be able to make a smartsnes based off the pocketsnes i uploaded like 3 or 4 posts up? cuz it plays more games and bigger file sizes. it still doesnt play all games but a lot more tho

Guest mikeeey
meh, no mater, what speed a you getting, i see no difference between the two emus speed wise

well now they're the same but before i did this pocketsnes didnt work, it was slow, the sound was bad. then i did this and its like their both the same program now.

i get a perfect speed if i hav it at a frameskip of 0 and all the sound turned to the lowest quality.

or

frameskip 2+ and the sound at the highest quality (if u must hav good sound lol)

the main games i test this on is super mario world and legend of zelda linnk to the past and gradius 3. cuz those are the 3 games im playin at the momeny. i havnt tried super metroid but i did run it once just to see if it worked and it did.

hows yours workin for u?

o and also i hav it clocked to 264mhz

Guest zfunk007

Hey, I've been messing around with this new version and I will say that it's great. The speed does seem to have improved a bit for some games. Super Metroid runs almost perfectly along with Super Mario World, Castlevania 4, Contra 3 and Joe and Mac. Street Fighter 2 Turbo works pretty well also. I keep mine on frame skip 4. Any less than that and the games don't seem to run at full speed. I will mess with more games to see. My phone is also overclocked to 264 Mhz.

Also, Final Fantasy 3 runs at just about full speed. Although I heard from someone that you can't get past the part with the snow in the intro without the game freezing. I will try to find out at some point.

Guest mikeeey
Hey, I've been messing around with this new version and I will say that it's great. The speed does seem to have improved a bit for some games. Super Metroid runs almost perfectly along with Super Mario World, Castlevania 4, Contra 3 and Joe and Mac. Street Fighter 2 Turbo works pretty well also. I keep mine on frame skip 4. Any less than that and the games don't seem to run at full speed. I will mess with more games to see. My phone is also overclocked to 264 Mhz.

Also, Final Fantasy 3 runs at just about full speed. Although I heard from someone that you can't get past the part with the snow in the intro without the game freezing. I will try to find out at some point.

well sometimes the display settings affect how the game runs and could cause it to freeze, such as the transparency setting bein turned on or off.

super metroid worked fine for me and just now when i try to play it has the nintendo logo and then goes black and freezes and then no applications work till i restart the phone. and now at this very second it doesnt even show the nintendo logo anymore it just freezes and i hav to restart.

im restarting now..... :)

did this happen with anyone else?

anyone that can run it rite now wats your current settings?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Jamma14
well sometimes the display settings affect how the game runs and could cause it to freeze, such as the transparency setting bein turned on or off.

super metroid worked fine for me and just now when i try to play it has the nintendo logo and then goes black and freezes and then no applications work till i restart the phone. and now at this very second it doesnt even show the nintendo logo anymore it just freezes and i hav to restart.

im restarting now..... :)

did this happen with anyone else?

anyone that can run it rite now wats your current settings?

You need to have sound enabled as avalon said or it won't get past the logo...and if that doesn't work and your are able to, try deleting your .srm save file as it might have become corrupted and it is crashing when it loads the sram.

James

Guest mikeeey
You need to have sound enabled as avalon said or it won't get past the logo...and if that doesn't work and your are able to, try deleting your .srm save file as it might have become corrupted and it is crashing when it loads the sram.

James

hm yea iv tried all of those and that didnt really work... but i found out that u cant hav any frameskip. everytime i launched it with frameskip it wouldnt work. then i launched it without frameskip and it played fine. so i went back into the setting while it was playin and enabled frameskip again and it froze.

so yea frameskip is doin it.

can anyone acually play it with frameskip turned on?

Guest mikeeey

James

acually i found out it was just the auto frameskip being turned on that did that. u can still set the number of frames to be skipped but just to set auto frameskip. so ignore my last post

Edited by mikeeey

Guest zfunk007

Super Metroid has always worked well for me. Frameskip and all. One of the best running games I have tried on this emulator. If anyone else has any status reports on how other games run let me know so I can try them as well.

Guest mikeeey
Super Metroid has always worked well for me. Frameskip and all. One of the best running games I have tried on this emulator. If anyone else has any status reports on how other games run let me know so I can try them as well.

has it ever just quit the program while u were playing? not with just super metroid but with anything?

• 3 months later...
here i am friends,

Smartphone france

Sincerly, AvAlon5

Hi avalon5,

I'm trying to get your software to work on my Tmobile Dash (HTC Excalibur), but it does not seem to support the QVGA landscape screen. If i set it to landscape, the game will not run. If I set it to portrait or portrait large, it runs the game, but does not display correctly. The image is centered ("nintendo" will be centered on the screen), but the right side is cut off and wrapped around to the left side.

Do you have plans to update the software? Do you know of any workarounds for this?

Other than the display problem, the emulator works great. sound plays and speed is excellent.