Got mine on Sat - where to get one... and some first thoughts!

Guest kvl

Thought I'd put my two pence in, normally by the time I decide to post - it has already been covered.

Well, my girlfriend upgraded her phone to the M600 on Sun 28th - which meant she had a better phone than me (M2000) couldn't have THAT!, I've had my eye on the Hermes for ages, so I've been hunting and I was finally successful!

So on Thursday 3rd I went into a Vodafone shop and instead of the blank look I had received in previous shops, the sales assistant told me they were not allowed to sell the v1605 in the shops yet, but is only being sold over the telephone by Vodafone Direct (0870 0700191).

So of course I called them, telephone menu system a bit painful and annoying, but got through to a helpful guy, who had not heard of the phone, but was surprised by the specs. On a

Guest hennapod

Interesting that there's been all this talk of the M3100 and Vario II being released and now Vodafone have got there first. Are many others after this one?

It seems most want the T-mobile one. I'm going for the Orange because of the free broadband offer.

Guest markthebaggie
Thought I'd put my two pence in, normally by the time I decide to post - it has already been covered.

Well, my girlfriend upgraded her phone to the M600 on Sun 28th - which meant she had a better phone than me (M2000) couldn't have THAT!, I've had my eye on the Hermes for ages, so I've been hunting and I was finally successful!

So on Thursday 3rd I went into a Vodafone shop and instead of the blank look I had received in previous shops, the sales assistant told me they were not allowed to sell the v1605 in the shops yet, but is only being sold over the telephone by Vodafone Direct (0870 0700191).

So of course I called them, telephone menu system a bit painful and annoying, but got through to a helpful guy, who had not heard of the phone, but was surprised by the specs. On a

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Thanks for the mini review kvl :) Just gotta wait for Orange to offer me a bizarre free deal (see my other posts), or T Mobile to finally release it!

Its got to the point now, where whoever releases it first, will get me in a 18 month contract.....

If other people feel the same... theres a lot riding on this phones release date!

whos it gonna be?

Guest Stuart_f
Data to any internet site is funded by effextively swapping 20 texts for 1mb of data.

I live in the wild north of Scotland where T-mobile simply doesn't work so that leaves me with O2, Vodafone or Orange as a provider. I've never heard of the swapping texts for data deal, is this standard on all voda plans or was this a special you were quoted? Do you need to nominate in advance how many you want to swap or is it flexible? Doesn't sound too bad a deal to me if you can't get T-Mobile.

Apologies for all the questions, suppose I should phone Voda themselves and ask but I fear I may get one answer and then find out it's not true...

Guest WILBUR
I've never heard of the swapping texts for data deal, is this standard on all voda plans or was this a special you were quoted? Do you need to nominate in advance how many you want to swap or is it flexible? Doesn't sound too bad a deal to me if you can't get T-Mobile.

I had the same experience just now - they will give me 200mins + 500 texts for

Guest WILBUR
This sounds intruiging, but the question is how extra does additional data cost? If it the same price as extra texts would be, its about
Edited by WILBUR

tbh, I was more interested in getting the phone, the call plan sounded quite interesting with 500 mins and a data bundle of 500texts/60 Mb Data. My GRPS/3G settings aren't working, so I'm going to call them in a min and double check everything. Must admit I prefer to see things in writing, so if there is any problems then... Will let people know...

I was on the 4Mb plan on Orange and was ALWAYS careful, so the 60Mb will be nice... Time will tell!

As with the dodgy Hermes with the S/N before HTC630XXX..., sods law Yes I have one of those - no problems so far, but watching with an Eagle eye!

I was reading the xda developers forum and they mentioned about problems with the backlight blue screen - the funny thing was that I thought it would be great if it had this - like the M2000, but didn't realize it until I started to use it last night - Hurrah!

Have yet to use the headphones as waiting for my MicroSD card from MobyMemory and then I'll have a play.

The one thing that is nice over the M2000, is that you can click it on your belt without tipping over on one side. Seriously the M2000 wasn't THAT bad, but I'm forgetting I have the TyTN on me...

Well that was interesting.

Bless the girl I spoke to, she had not heard of the device - but she investigated further. First she said that I would have to be registered for the

Guest matho
This sounds intruiging, but the question is how extra does additional data cost? If it the same price as extra texts would be, its about
Edited by matho

Well, 2nd call to Vodafone - he couldn't find the phone. Nor the history of the previous conversation I'd had at 13:15... As he could not find the phone, he could not find any technical specs...Well we went through the basic Vodafone settings and he spoke to his technical team - their computers were down! Ahem... Well in the end he said there was nothing more he could do, and suggested I go to a Vodafone store and work out either it is a problem with the Sim card or the phone...

So at the moment have a Data Bundle and cannot use it...

Still confused about Tasks not being on the Program list - it is a very basic problem but useful all the same.

As a SPV user from the Year Dot with the Canary I've been pleasantly surprised at how much a good job Orange did from the start, from including things like Orange Backup on the Canary, to the SD card that came with my MPX200, to the spare battery of the M2000. Vodafone has been quiet on the Smartphone front and my first experience of them is that they have not been watching and taking notes... My understanding from Gears (Coolsmartphone) is that Vodafone doesn't / hasn't being in contact, I'm not sure if Paul here MoDaCo has any communication with Vodafone?!? Paul... Come on Vodafone, having lurked in the wings for a good 4 years, shows us what you have got/learnt and what makes you different from the other networks!?!

I used to use Mapolpolis on my old phone - does the job - but was wondering if there is better program people can recommend?!?

Edited by kvl

Guest matho
Does that come with stop the clock, 6 months half price and/or mobile tv for the 18 month plan? If so it's a very good deal and I might be joining you on it soon!

Can you even get mobile TV on a Hermes?

Can I be cheeky and ask what you spend a month to get this upgrade deal? Just so I know what to expect when I call.

Yes, it includes Stop The Clock. I didn't ask about the 6 month/mobile TV on 18 month contracts, but worth asking for! Actually, I reckon that they'll probably say that 6 month half price deals are only for new customers. I was on an old tarriff where I got 200 minutes to any network at any time and my monthly bill was generally around

Guest WILBUR

I'm getting really tempted to go to Vodafone -

- They have it in stock

- The text/data bundles seem not bad value

- webNwalk is excellent but I know that T-Mob has spent only 1/3 as much as Vod on its network over the past couple of years, so I am really worried that their 3G coverage might not be very good

- Vod are subsidising the handset quite a lot -

Edited by WILBUR

Guest simonclark123

I am in London and am also an Orange dealer, so the best deal for me is to get 2 x M3100 on a 2yr 2000 minute sharer tariff, use the mins for voice in other phones, then unlock the handsets for data use on T-Mobile Web'n'Walk Pro (rumour has it that I'll get HSDPA within the M25 on T-Mobile).

However, just thought I'd let everyone know that I went into Voda Cheapside today and they offered me a v1605 free on a

Well, I went into a Vodafone store and we tried a Sim Swop to determine where the problem was the phone or the sim. Yes it was the Sim, so I arranged an exchange and was going to leave the phone. BUt of course I needed to do a Hard Reset.

How to do a Hard Reset:

Turn phone off, hold down th two WM5 soft buttons, press in the stylus for about 5/10 secs, until the Rainbow screen is shown.

Anyways, I thought I'd just do a test and the GPRS and 3G worked and Tasks were back in the Office Folder.

The guy in the shop was v helpful!

So, back to installing my programs back on...

Voda do say that you can change to a more expensive or equally priced plan, but cnat change down in the 1st 9 months, so after 6 months 1/2 price, you could ask them to change you to the new

Guest h3adl0ng

I know many people are probably upgrading right now, but I thought I'd share my experience...

Called 343 as recommended in another topic - got straight through to a "we give existing customers the same deals as new ones line" - never knew about this before. The hold time was less than 5 mins. The guy asked how he could help and quickly passed me to someone in upgrades (and surprisingly passed my details to the new call handler so that I didn't have to start from scratch - must be a first!)...

anyway, on my existing

Guest proindigo

Its a case of hit and miss, I called them once, and some sarcy lady told me that they are not available. She put me through to her "supervisor" who said they aren't available. I called back the same number and spoke to a guy who seemed much happier and he said "sure they cost 49.99"

Hit and miss with orange am going to wait until t-mob gets it released.

I know many people are probably upgrading right now, but I thought I'd share my experience...

Called 343 as recommended in another topic - got straight through to a "we give existing customers the same deals as new ones line" - never knew about this before. The hold time was less than 5 mins. The guy asked how he could help and quickly passed me to someone in upgrades (and surprisingly passed my details to the new call handler so that I didn't have to start from scratch - must be a first!)...

anyway, on my existing

Guest hennapod
Its a case of hit and miss, I called them once, and some sarcy lady told me that they are not available. She put me through to her "supervisor" who said they aren't available. I called back the same number and spoke to a guy who seemed much happier and he said "sure they cost 49.99"

Hit and miss with orange am going to wait until t-mob gets it released.

Are you waiting because of the price of the handset or because of web&walk? If it's for the handset price then call again and threaten to leave.