PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Trust me to forget to take pictures with the slider open :), i'll take some later ;)

Benchmark wise, I have benchmarked the device with Muff's benchmarker, and will post some comparisons soon.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
Permissions fixed, you can now attach files in replies (apologies).

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

iam

iam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:SPV m3100
Hey all. First post here, so i thought i'd start by saying great site.

My spv m3100 is coming on Tuesday and i really can't wait to get my hands on it. Not used this kind of phone before so really looking forward to having such a powerful device in my pocket.

The one thing most people comment on with this phone is the lack of phone pad. Having never used it before i know i won't miss it as such, but is there and would it be worth getting a replacement for it? Having a number pad on screen when wanting to make a call just seems like common sense to me, and i'm interested to know how easy it is without one. Is there a program out there that will replace this missing element. I know on your free stuff thread you put a link to Tengo, Paul. It seems to just be predictive text though, which i'm not too fussed about now i have a qwerty keybaord included, but does tengo give a large 'number pad' for dialing numbers?

Also wondered how easy it was to connect this to a WiFi network and how good it was when connected? Any advice from people who have experience of these devices would be great.

Really can't wait till Tuesday to have a go myself.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
The pad for dialling is still there, 'Phone Pad' in this context is ONLY the T9 element.

WiFi working very well, seems to be more reliable than it was on my Prophet.

P

Posted Image

rand

rand

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:IT, Golf,Gym,Reading+drinking

The pad for dialling is still there, 'Phone Pad' in this context is ONLY the T9 element.

P

Thanks for the great review. I have ordered one of these before reading the review and hope i will be happy. I have used most of the SPV and XDA units and this does look like the best so far. I now need to deceide if i keep mt Asus PDA which has a built in GPS device or sell it and use a bluetooth unit with my phone.

I look forward to seeing the update on the review and pics shortly.

Thanks again Paul :)

proud owner of the HTC Touch HD2

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond

P

My prophet was always pretty reliable on wifi, but the 3100 hasn't missed a beat yet. If orange's 3g wasn't so fast I would use it even more!

Touch HD runnign Dutty's latest rom

iam

iam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:SPV m3100

P

Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul. Good news about the WiFi too.

M

blackparagon

blackparagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500
Just ordered mine from orange. 100 to upgrade from my c600. Sold my C600 on ebay for 80, so only really costing me 20 to upgrade.

Bargain!

AximMarkSD

AximMarkSD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:Axim x50
I'd eat my Verizon early termination fee if/when t-mobile brings this to the US. i figure it's as if i bought my phone without a contract when i signed up. six of one, half dozen of another. sort of an option on leaving, if you will. if i stay, i get the subsidized price, if i leave i'll pay you full price then. yup, i think i just talked myself into it.

Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Devices:Motorola MPX 220
Hi Paul, if you can post higher resolution shots of the phone in closed and open position that would be great!

Why do you say that wifi on the hermes should be better than on the prophet?

What is the highest security feature that the Hermes support?

boyo69

boyo69

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

You won't be disappointed, it's an awesome device.

I now sit here however with the M3100 and the TyTN and wonder if despite the fact that the M3100 is the pretty sister, the TyTN is the one that you would rather live with ;)

Hmm, wonder if that's an analogy too far :)

P (on the wine :D)

hi Paul

i think i am in the same position as you !!!

love the look of the orange unit (and i will simply unlock and pop in the t-mobile sim) but the htc tytn does seem to have the better key layout on the bottom...................

any further thoughts on beauty vs ergonomics??!!!

Mark

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Hi Paul, if you can post higher resolution shots of the phone in closed and open position that would be great!

Why do you say that wifi on the hermes should be better than on the prophet?

What is the highest security feature that the Hermes support?

They both support WPA and WEP. The prophet wifi was good - but the hermes is excellent - I have used it at home, work and in public hotspots and the signal strength is good and the speed of negotiating an IP connection is outstanding.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
I have both devices, and i'm using the M3100.

That probably says it all :)

I'm getting used to the M3100 button layout now.

I am running it with the HTC Homescreen/dialler/comm manager themes tho!

P

Posted Image

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Milestone
Can somebody please explain exactly how Hermes WiFi is better then Prophet's/Wizard's without just saying that "its better"?

Thumper Net

Thumper Net

The artist formerly known as Peekie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
Guess your wife paul gets the ugly duckling then :)

gadget freek , rabbit mad english guy trapped in Holland

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Can somebody please explain exactly how Hermes WiFi is better then Prophet's/Wizard's without just saying that "its better"?

I don't know if the AKU2.3 rom has actually improved things or not. From my own experience the wifi is more resilient (in that the range seems longer, the connection is faster when you turn wifi on - although that may simply be down to the faster processor?).

With regards to changes, the new rom has obviously tweaked a few things - for example you have a tick box to auto turn off the wifi after two mins of being disconnected (very handy battery saver if you move out of range and forget to turn it off yourself) and the WLAn settings interface has been updated slightly. When you have finished a wifi session, and click on the wifi icon on the top bar, instead of offering to open comm manager, it offers to turn off wifi (which is a simple time saver).

I think the fundamentals are basically the same - ie the authentification is the same (WPA and WEP) but have found mine to simply more reliable (although the prophet was still perfectly usable).

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts

Guess your wife paul gets the ugly duckling then :)

What are you trying to say! ;)

Actually, she wants to stick with her Prophet!

P

Posted Image

zen123

zen123

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
I noticed the speaker outlet hole is a bit small & on the underside of the device. How's the loudness? Sound quality is unimportant, just the loudness. I usaully have the phone in my jeans pocket I must be be able to hear it when, say, walking down a busy street. When laying flat on a table is the sound muffled to the point where you can't hear it across a room.

I got rid of my HTC Prophet because I could never hear it ringing. I'm using a Mio A701 at the moment, great gps implementation but too many deficiencies in the phone part.

My Phones :

LG Optimus 2X

Iphone 4

Samsung Galaxy Tab

mwright

mwright

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S2
  • Twitter:@mwright_tw

Just ordered mine from orange. 100 to upgrade from my c600. Sold my C600 on ebay for 80, so only really costing me 20 to upgrade.

Bargain!

How did you manage that!

According to retensions they are out of stock for upgrades and have been since the 11th when I tried originally :)

Posted Image
Support community cinema.
Visit the Electric Palace

hooded

hooded

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:SMT 5600
Paul could you comment on the A2DP on this device? That is of course if you have any bluetooth headphones laying around. I'm very curious about the performance of this as it could make the proprietary USB headphone port more excusable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users