PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,227 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
I do, but I haven't tested it yet. I'll wait till my microSD arrives :)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Devices:Touch HD
  • Twitter:@NikLP
I can't see any excuse for not just putting a damn standard sized socket on all these things from the start?!

hooded

hooded

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:SMT 5600

I can't see any excuse for not just putting a damn standard sized socket on all these things from the start?!

Yeah I agree. Its a big enough device that there would be room for the traditional 3.5 mm socket. It must cost more to have 1 custom socket than 2 standard ones. There must have been some reason they went through so much extra work to design a new connector. It might simply be the same reason every other phone comany has proprietary connectors: to extract extra money from the customers on accessories. I would say that it would be unlike HTC to do this, but then again they were always an OEM manufacturer and wouldn't have gotten the benefit of expensive proprietary accessories. Now though.... who knows?

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond
maybe they and the networks got fed up with their inability to put a reliable jack socket in their device? just think how many spv's have gone back with faulty headst switches!

Touch HD runnign Dutty's latest rom

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Milestone
More likely, HTC wants to *aggressively* (ahem) promote their own brand of headsets - see, they produce/sell headsets now, and own socket is nothing better to keep rivals out of competition :)

Edited by Ingvarr, 15 August 2006 - 07:59 AM.

sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:HTC WM7 TomTom
  • Devices:HTC Touch HD
As anyone got TomTom working on the SPV M3100?? What version do u need?

Nokia 6110i / Nokia 6210i / Nokia 8310i / SPV Classic / SPV E200 / SPV C500 / SPV C600 / SPV M3100 / HTC Tytn II

Check out my blog

Rob.P

Rob.P

No.1 the larch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Media, Technology
  • Devices:Galaxy Note II
  • Twitter:@Patchworkcow
Paul, why can't you get friendly with O2 like you are with Orange, I wanna know when this is coming out on their XDA range. I emailed XDA a few days ago and they didn't have any idea of it or if/when it would be coming out. Be buggered if I'm going back to Orange just to get the phone.

Could PM me your supplier for the Dopod could you?

Interesting Times

(SPV>E200>C500>Qtek9100>Vario2>Touch Dual>Touch Pro2>Desire HD)

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,227 posts
I'm happy to talk to O2, but it requires them to want to talk to me too... which they don't seem to :)

Oh well!

Can't remember who I bought my Dopod 585 from, but I brought my 818Pro from this guy on eBay. He doesn't seem to have many dopods on there atm, maybe drop him a message?

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

Rob.P

Rob.P

No.1 the larch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Media, Technology
  • Devices:Galaxy Note II
  • Twitter:@Patchworkcow
Cool thanks Paul, I'll have a go at making some inroads on O2 for you as well.

Interesting Times

(SPV>E200>C500>Qtek9100>Vario2>Touch Dual>Touch Pro2>Desire HD)

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

More likely, HTC wants to *aggressively* (ahem) promote their own brand of headsets - see, they produce/sell headsets now, and own socket is nothing better to keep rivals out of competition :)

Other than the need to charge/sync device when using headset (which is a biggy), surely with A2DP and the ability for the Mini-USB to carry sounds, surely the combined mini-usb port is a good idea?

I wonder if the top of the device is kept clear of ports/IR windows/card slots etc, so that the antenna has best chance of giving good reception? I have always believed that there are massive variances between handsets (even the same models) when it comes to phone signal strength. I know that I had loads of replacement phones (see my sig) over the years and have found big differences in signal strength between the same models (and not always getting better - due to model improvements) ... but my 3100 seems to have very strong signals both on 3g and gsm (and gprs) wherever I am.

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Milestone
The top of device is kept clear because there are chips there on the PCB, simply no place for stuff you wrote.
Face it - when you have to squeeze like 2x times more chips on the PCB of same size, youll have to sacrifice something else. Everything comes for a price.

Edited by Ingvarr, 15 August 2006 - 11:42 AM.

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Paul could you comment on the A2DP on this device? That is of course if you have any bluetooth headphones laying around. I'm very curious about the performance of this as it could make the proprietary USB headphone port more excusable.

And has anyone confirmed the problems Syphon Filter was having with music over BT and wifi on at the same time?

Kausor

Kausor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Pro 2

I thought the missing phonepad would be a problem (as an ex-prophet user) but I have been using the sliding keyboard so much, I haven't really noticed it isnt there (or even thought about trying to load one up from my prophet).

The boot up time is a revelation! I never turned my prophet off (as I was fed up with waiting for it to boot) but have turned the M3100 off twice (in 24 hours).

The devices responsiveness is very good and the battery seems to be lasting as well as my prophet with similar usage.

The headset using the USB port would be an issue - but I await a splitter - and at least the m3100 wont suffer from the HTC headset socket switch problem!

Hello,

Sorry to ask a thick question from a Newbie.
I've got the M500 (currently); may I ask when you do use the keyboard to dial a number what appears on the screen if the 'virtual keypad' is missing?

Have I misunderstood the very detailed and good review by Paul, or is my question useful??

Thanks
Kausor

rand

rand

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:IT, Golf,Gym,Reading+drinking

Hello,

Sorry to ask a thick question from a Newbie.
I've got the M500 (currently); may I ask when you do use the keyboard to dial a number what appears on the screen if the 'virtual keypad' is missing?

Have I misunderstood the very detailed and good review by Paul, or is my question useful??

Thanks
Kausor

Kausor, you still have the virtual keyboard but you cannot use the virtual keyboard to text now as T9 has been removed as an option. You can dial with the horizontal keyboard if you wish but i just use my contacts and the new jog wheel it works brilliantly

proud owner of the HTC Touch HD2

jfran

jfran

The wapfreak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact V, HTC Desire
  • Twitter:@jmfran
there is a dial pad for making calls, however whats missing is the facility to do predictive text

hth

Jim

--
Jim

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
The missing phonepad keeps confusing people. With these devices, you have a number of ways of inputting text into your device - and although there is a letter recogniser and a block recogniser (like early palms) the two most popular were the keyboard and the phonepad. The phonepad was an onscreen virtual keypad much like the keypad on a normal mobile phone. You could use T9 predictive text typing on it (or simple ABC or 123). With the 3100 (and other Hermes) the phonepad option is not available and thus onscreen data input is now restricted to the onscreen keyboard, letter recogniser etc.

The phone's dialpad is a completely different matter - and the M3100's phone dialpad is very similar to all previous pocket pc phone editions (except for the VIDEO Call button and some tweaking to how it behaves when you are mid call etc).

I personally do not miss the phonepad but I am 40 (and thus didnt grow up with playstation thumbs and 300 texts a month when I was a teenager).

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
Can someone add a photo of this in their hand(s). I'm getting sick thinking how much I want one. I'm waiting for this to pass! :)

-Nick

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,227 posts
Here's a few quick snaps I literally just took especially for you Nick (hence the crappy reflections) :)

P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
I think I'm starting to NEED one now! :)
Isn't one planned for Cingular this year?!

-Nick

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,227 posts
A little bird told me Cingular would ship the TyTN with the HTC branding... just vicious rumours tho of course :)

P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users