Paul Reviews... the Orange SPV M3100

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tawse57
I have used both Agile on the M3100 (very good), and the private beta of Windows Live Messenger (truly awesome).

P

Gosh, that was quick - thanks. :D

OK, it is good to hear that you have the Live client working. I did some googling and discovered some newsgroup postings that state that Orange does not support MSN - no doubt for the reasons already explained. I found some postings from people having connectivity problems with MSN messenger losing connectivity on Orange so glad to hear it works.

Hmm, I might reconsider getting one of these now... if I can get it for free or a good price... and a sensible monthly tariff... Speaking of which, are there any rocket scientists here who understand and who can suggest a good Orange tariff - trying to figure out the minutes, texts and now data combinations is darn tricky?

Guest jimbouk

Give us a clue as to how many minutes (and to whom) how many texts, how much data etc?

(PS - not a rocket scientist)

(PPS - there is a site that is supposed to work it out for you call tariffchecker or something)

Hi this is my first post so I just wanted to ask some advice and also to say what a great review!

I have been offered an upgrade by orange to a Spv M600 (for free) and to a Spv M3100 (for

Just got mine today ...love it great device not as big as i thought .....Is everyone bypassing the orange customisation at the start?

The p990 i got is just so basic compared to windows mobile for how much i paid for the p990 (

Edited by J273

Guest jimbouk
Just got mine today ...love it great device not as big as i thought .....Is everyone bypassing the orange customisation at the start?

I was suprised when I put the m3100 and the JAMin (Prophet) side by side. It's only a little thicker and still sits happily in a pocket.

Surely the first thing all Modaco members do is to remove the orange plug in and homescreen?

Guest Paul (MVP)
-does the lack of a keyboard on the M600 inhibit the phone much?

-what about the lack of the scroll wheel?

-is the M3100 noticeably bigger than the M600?

-is it worth paying an extra

I would definitely recommend the M3100 over the M600. It is a bit bigger and certainly heavier, but the 400MHz instead of 200MHz processor makes a world of difference.

Add the fact it is 3G, has a camera flash, is a newer version of Windows Mobile 5, has the great qwerty keyboard etc. etc. and it's a simple decision - go M3100 :D

P

+ The sroll wheel which im finding to be very useful.....should be on all WM phones

As anyone tried tomtom on the m3100 .....I cant at the min as i havnt got a memory card.

Is it quicker to load than the jamin/m600?.....a pain i found on the jamin was the slow loading ...dont know if theres a difference on the m3100 with the added processor speed or is the loading speed down to ram?

Guest tawse57
Give us a clue as to how many minutes (and to whom) how many texts, how much data etc?

I currently have a Motorolla timeport 250e from about 1998/99. I've really not had a need to upgrade before but the phone is becoming faulty now plus I said I would always hold out until a good Windows Mobile phone appeared on the market - was waiting for the seemingly never to arrive in the UK Motorola Q. Had a look at the 600(?) last week oddly enough but the lack of keyboard was a no no.

I have been with Orange since about 1998, am on a business tariff and pay about

Is the SPV 3100 commonly available yet?

Is it out yet on both T-Mobile and Orange?

I'm looking to get a contract with about 400mins and 200 texts and unlimited (or high data usage) any advice on what to go for?

From what I can see so far T-mobile seems to be cheaper. And is the higher data speed available on T-Mobile (what was it again HSDPA?).

Thanks for any advice. :D

Hello again,

My wap problem was an issue with orange. They hadn't added it to my services and therefore i couldn't receive GRPS data.

Personally i've not had ANY problems with the keyboard, or accuracy with the screen. The phone volume and clarity in calls is perfect too.

Really pleased with the phone. Just need to start learning how to customise it now.

Here's a few quick snaps I literally just took especially for you Nick (hence the crappy reflections) :D

P

hybrid1.png

hybrid2.png

Hi Paul

Thanks for the effort you put into the review, very much appreciated.

Have just started bidding on a M3100 on ebay prefer the look of it to the tytn and now that Florin (wasn't he a characture outta of Magic Knights Spellbound on the ZXSpectrum?) and his gang have an unlock process i'm happy to buy one lock to orange.

However HOW DID YOU GET RID OF THE ORANGE LOGO :D

I'm assuming cos you're on such good terms they gave you one that had yet to be branded.

Do you think looking at the phone the old sugar cube trick used for other phones would work?

Thanks again

Fozza

Guest tawse57
Hi Paul

Thanks for the effort you put into the review, very much appreciated.

Have just started bidding on a M3100 on ebay prefer the look of it to the tytn and now that Florin (wasn't he a characture outta of Magic Knights Spellbound on the ZXSpectrum?) and his gang have an unlock process i'm happy to buy one lock to orange.

However HOW DID YOU GET RID OF THE ORANGE LOGO :D

I'm assuming cos you're on such good terms they gave you one that had yet to be branded.

Do you think looking at the phone the old sugar cube trick used for other phones would work?

Thanks again

Fozza

Sugar cube trick?

Guest pug205
As anyone tried tomtom on the m3100 .....I cant at the min as i havnt got a memory card.

Is it quicker to load than the jamin/m600?.....a pain i found on the jamin was the slow loading ...dont know if theres a difference on the m3100 with the added processor speed or is the loading speed down to ram?

I have just installed TomTom 5.21 and it runs at about the same speed as my SPV M500 which is much faster than a K-Jam/m600 from my experience.

Guest Sgt_Strider
You cant buy the m3100 without a contract from Orange but there will probably be some on ebay, you would need to wait for the Dopod 838 pro or the Imate JasJam to come out and they will typically be

Hi again guys.

Has anyone else who has one of these had a little problem when sometimes using the scroll bar the program your using closes? Very bizzare little thing, but something i have noticed.

I also bought the radiotimes TV scheduling stuff, but i cannot get it to autosync in any way with my device. It's becoming infuriating.

Neither of these niggles however has taken away from the joy i have of owning this phone. It's brilliant.

I nearly dropped it in my girlfriend pint of magners the other night though. Nearly cried. It had a very lucky escape. Luckily my natwest account gives free phone insurance, but i still would have cried to be without it while being repaired.

Guest MatthewNCB

Its been a few days now for those with the new 3100. Can we have some feedback from people with regard to the battery life compared to the wizard? Not looking for precise benchies although they would be nice, just a general impression would be cool

Guest jimbouk

Didn't have a Wizard, but have had an M500 and a JAMin. The M3100 seems to be offering similar battery life for me - it is running down maybe slightly more but I am hammering the wifi quite a bit and if I make allowances for that then it seems ok.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.