Guest SkUk21

Guest chrisgibson.com

I'm also very keen to see this working! I'll match SkUK21's "reward" if anyone has a proven solution :)

I wouldn't even need to make calls from Line 2 -- I just want to be able to give business contacts a specific number that they can call me on, without my having to faff around with multiple handsets/SIM cards and so on. I gather that the M2000 supported incoming calls on Line 2, but that the M3100 doesn't...?

Any advice would be very gratefully received!

I just want to be able to give business contacts a specific number that they can call me on, without my having to faff around with multiple handsets/SIM cards and so on.

Slightly off topic, but on devices that support Line 1/2, is there any way to determine which line the incoming call is from? I wanted to have a business line as I'm never in my office to answer my landline, and could consequently get the office calls forwarded to my Line 2 using a divert. I wouldn't want to answer my business calls with a straight 'hello' though! :)

Guest chrisgibson.com
Slightly off topic, but on devices that support Line 1/2, is there any way to determine which line the incoming call is from?

My understanding is that a device that supports a genuine Line 2 will clearly identify a call on the second line, and you should be able to set a different ring-tone and so on. SkUk21 should be able to confirm this though!

The only network operator that offers this in the UK is Orange, AFAIK. T-mobile used to offer it [called "Prority Line"] but it was withdrawn in February after they "upgraded" their network and were no longer able to support it.

I also asked Vodafone if they had a similar service, and they looked at me as if I was mad ["You want what? A second line? On one handset?!"]. I can't believe it's so difficult in the 21st century to get two telephone numbers directed to one mobile...

Guest jimbouk

I use an 0870 number diverted to my mobile - but of course it doesn't tell me that its from there.

I assume that Orange's Line 2 would involve a pay monthly contract for the second line (ie I cant use my old orange number that I converted to PAYG a while back)?

I use an 0870 number diverted to my mobile - but of course it doesn't tell me that its from there.

Therein lies the bummer! <_<

I assume that Orange's Line 2 would involve a pay monthly contract for the second line (ie I cant use my old orange number that I converted to PAYG a while back)?
Not sure... I enquired about this SO long ago I can't remember.

My understanding is that a device that supports a genuine Line 2 will clearly identify a call on the second line, and you should be able to set a different ring-tone and so on.

I think that would be best, but I can't recall if that's how it works. I think it didn't on the handset I had at the time, so I didn't get it.

Guest chrisgibson.com

Correct. Line 2 is effectively a separate pay-monthly contract, although IIRC Orange offer a

Guest SkUk21
My understanding is that a device that supports a genuine Line 2 will clearly identify a call on the second line, and you should be able to set a different ring-tone and so on. SkUk21 should be able to confirm this though!

yup - that is correct. it should say line 1 or line 2 when you receive an incoming call on the respective line!

Guest SkUk21

hi, yeah thats correct. in essence it works as two seperate contracts but on the same SIM. the second line rental is discounted by 33% (i think!)

I also asked Vodafone if they had a similar service, and they looked at me as if I was mad ["You want what? A second line? On one handset?!"]. I can't believe it's so difficult in the 21st century to get two telephone numbers directed to one mobile...

It really isn't difficult at all - just associate the customer's IMSI (SIM number) with both of the customer's 2 MSISDNs (telephone numbers)... whether they've got the systems or processes to do this is another matter...

There's the more information on Line 2 on the Orange website.

Hmmm, didn't realise the restriction about not being able to use Line2 abroad. As I occassionally travel abroad with work and may even want to go on holiday myself sometime, the Line2 solution doesn't look as though it would be a complete solution for me... Ah well, back to lugging 2 handsets about... Or I may have a look at Dual SIM Adaptors... :)

Edited by matho

Guest SkUk21
Hmmm, didn't realise the restriction about not being able to use Line2 abroad. As I occassionally travel abroad with work and may even want to go on holiday myself sometime, the Line2 solution doesn't look as though it would be a complete solution for me... Ah well, back to lugging 2 handsets about... Or I may have a look at Dual SIM Adaptors... :)

Orange are working on and will release soon full line 1 functionality on line 2. watch this space!

Guest chucky.egg

I use Flextel and you can set the number of the incoming call to be either the originating number, or your Flextel number... which was nice

Guest jimbouk
I use Flextel and you can set the number of the incoming call to be either the originating number, or your Flextel number... which was nice

ALthough then you cant see who's calling you or save new customers phone numbers without asking them...which isnt.

Orange are working on and will release soon full line 1 functionality on line 2. watch this space!

Does this mean that you will be able to switch between Line1 and 2 and received calls on both numbers? Did you get any type of time scale?

Edited by Wam7

Does this mean that you will be able to switch between Line1 and 2 and received calls on both numbers? Did you get any type of time scale?

The Orange website isn't very clear, but you can already receive calls on both numbers if you sign up to the Line2 service. The only restriction seems to be that you can't make calls on Line2 outside the UK, but Line1 should be OK. SkUk21 reckons that this restriction will be solved shortly.

Guest bronksy

Ok Here's the rundown.

Line 2 on handsets that handle it...you can switch between the 2 lines by pressing (usually) the hash key. You can receive calles on either line no matter which one is selected, but the outgoing call is affected by the line you are selected on.

It wasn't possible to receive texts on line 2 (it would just come through as normal, and when you replied it would come up as your line 1 number)

On windows PPC devices (I think Smartphones can use L1 and L2), I've not had line 2 for a couple of years, but it used to be that the phone would accept the call (but the ringtone never sounded) so you didn't know the call was coming through (useless) and you had to dial voicemail and then type in your PIN to listen to your line 2 messages.. a real pain in the ass.

So PPC devices and line 2 (at least a while ago) were not a happy partnership. I haven't heard anything different over the years to suggest that this is different.

Also, Line2 didn't (and i assume still doesn't) work whilst roaming, so in the good old days I would everyphone line 2 to line 1 when i got to the airport...

You do indeed need another tariff for your line 2 line.. I cancelled my line 2 about 2 years ago and had a fantastic tariff.. 5 quid a month for 60 mins off peak minutes.. line 2 chat 60 it was called...there's no way you could get that now!

Oh the good old days.. where everything worked!

You could of course..

get a SkypeIN number, or something like that and divert it to your mobile, therefore you could give out this and it would just ring your phone, so people dont have your real number.

Or you could use your office number and then use everyphone to divert the calls to wherever. This is of course on business tariffs only...

Or get a free 0845 number or something similar. We used to have a 0207 number that we could divert wherever vial the phone or web interface.. depends on how much you dont want people to have your main number..

I gave up on all this in the end..and just put my mobile number on my business card. Its all a logistical nightmare... so I sacked it off and just had one number!

The Orange website isn't very clear, but you can already receive calls on both numbers if you sign up to the Line2 service. The only restriction seems to be that you can't make calls on Line2 outside the UK, but Line1 should be OK. SkUk21 reckons that this restriction will be solved shortly.

A few days ago I put my sim; Line1 (Virgin OVP)/Line2 ED50 in a M3100 and this is what happened...

1. When I made a call it would go from Line2 (no visible way to switch to Line1)

2. When I called my Line2 number it gave an 'unobtainable' message.

3. Calling my Line1 number worked fine.

A fix for me would involved being able to switch calling between lines, receiving calls on both lines and knowing which line a number is calling on. Did the old fix for previous WM5.0 phones do this?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SkUk21
2. When I called my Line2 number it gave an 'unobtainable' message.

3. Calling my Line1 number worked fine.

i have the same issue - have you noticed that when you call your line 2 number, you lose reception for around 3/4 seconds??????

any solutions?

Guest danktuft

So, how do those dual sim adapters work out? I have a work SIM and now a T-Mobile one, it would be double cool to be able to use both in the same phone.

• 1 month later...
i have the same issue - have you noticed that when you call your line 2 number, you lose reception for around 3/4 seconds??????

any solutions?

I will have an answer for that question in a few days although it's probably a month later than you needed it.

Is there any more info on a fix for this?