I've got an HTC TyTN, Hermes200, ROM Version 220.127.116.11, ROM Date 07/22/06
2GB Sandisk MicroSD Card
Software installed on Today Screen: SPB Pocket Plus, SPB Diary 2.0
Other software in use: Pocket Informant 2007 for PIM, Copilot Live 5 for navigation, Microsoft Voice Command with tweak to use bluetooth headset with voice command, Total Commander, SPB Time, fit4cat Hermes Tweaker, VITO SoundExplorer for MP3 recording
Issues I have seen, most if not all are probably ROM related based on my past experience with early HTC Wizard ROMs (perhaps with car charger exception):
1) I get a similar slow power-on
that others have talked about in this forum. It takes 2 seconds to come up to full speed -- 1 second, nothing at all, 500msec, LCD is on, but no backlight, finally at around 2 seconds the backlight comes up -- if I toggle power within a few seconds, it comes on instantly --- it doesn't seem to be related to whether or not the MicroSD card is installed or not. Doesn't seem to be related to Pocket Plus either (turning it off of today screen doesn't change anything - haven't tested without program installed)
2) MicroSD card is not recognized after taking it out and putting it back in
-- has only happened once. I have to soft-reset to see the card again. If default ringtone is on microSD card, the ringtone instantly reverts to windows default when the card is removed (annoying). So I have copied default ringtone to Windows/Rings and then it works fine. Custom ringtones on the card for individual contacts work fine when removing and re-inserting the card (as long as the phone doesn't ring while the card is removed)
3) 500mA capacity Car charger doesn't work correctly
. If I plug the device in while TyTN is in it's power-down standby state, it starts charging. If I turn it on, it stops charging. I have to warm-reboot to get it to charge and stay on at the same time. I have another 1000mA capacity car charger - this one works fine all the time. Seems to be an issue with the charger current capacity perhaps, although when connected to a PC it always charges, and a PC USB port is limited to 500mA output current ... so it's a bit strange.
4) Strange temporary lock-ups/freezing
- every once in a while (no pattern to it) the screen stops responding to input, no buttons work except the power button. I can turn it off, turn it on again and then everything works again, and whatever I tapped during the non-responsive period suddenly responds in a rush (with bad results sometimes, depending on what I tapped trying to make the device respond :-)).
5) Cingular UMTS & EDGE experience
- I've gotten up to 850kbps near the Oakland Airport, and also around 750kbps in the Dallas Metropolitan area. (using http://text.dslrepor.../mspeed?jisok=1
- this only works from mobile phone). I've blue-tooth tethered with a laptop - it works great when phone is in GPRS mode on EDGE (still ony see 'G' indicator for both Edge and GRPS, 'U' for UMTS) - I get 120-160kbps, and connection is pretty reliable, can browse the web, get email with my laptop. On UMTS, with bluetooth tethering, even though the speed test posts such high speeds, the actual browsing experience on the laptop is slower than EDGE. Could be related to hard-coding the DNS servers - I'm going to play with that next time I travel. Long term browsing on UMTS just doesn't work - works in spurts. Have to disconnect and re-connect quite regularly to get anything working. I actually chatted with a friend using Pocket Skype on UMTS while going 70MPH on the freeway in the Dallas area for about 10 minutes.
6) USB Sync with ActiveSync 4.2.0
(build 4876)- "USB to PC" control panel in connections, I had to uncheck "Enable advanced network functionality" in order to get the TyTN to initially sync with my Thinkpad Laptop through the USB port in my docking station. After initial sync, I was able to re-check this box and everything worked. Bluetooth ActiveSync works fine as well.
7) Bluetooth Stereo Headset
- using Anycom BSH-100, get frequent audio drop-outs. Pause/Play control works fine. Still experimenting with fit4cat tweaker to see if there is a setting that will work.
8) Hard Lock-Ups
- I have had to use the stylus to soft-reset the device 3 times in the last 7 days.
9) Windows Mobile 5 Alarm Functionality
- is broken. I put an alarm in, and even though I unchecked it the next day, it kept going off at 4:15AM for several days until I used MemMaid to clear it. (argh!) I am using MortPlayer to wake up to MP3 music instead of built in alarm, and that's working fine. The mono speaker on the TyTN actually sounds richer and better than the stereo speakers on the HTC Wizard.
Other TyTN observations:
Subjectively, compared to my overclocked HTC Wizard at 260MHz
- this device runs at exactly the same speed in opening media files, launching many different programs. It does rotate the screen a bit faster than the Wizard however. TyTN camera launches faster too - that was annoying on the Wizard. I probably won't need to overclock the TyTN.
No problems so far with screen alignment or keyboard keys going bad, and I use the keyboard quite a bit.
Not using push email -just use 1 hour activesync schedule, saves battery life and I get way too many emails to get notified about every one. Syncing with my corporate exchange server on the internet for contacts, tasks, email and calendar events -- all works fine.
VITO Soundexplorer recording quality is much better than with HTC Wizard. The built in Microphone on the TyTN is higher quality than the Wizard - goes up to 16KHz, Wizard cut off at 8KHz.