• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

adge

adge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Devices:SE Xperia X1

I had that, but it's not persisted following a reset. I think it may be something to do with one of the SBP Today screen apps I had installed at the time.
[d]

Mine still does this all the time unless one of the messaging apps is runnning.

I'm not running the SBP Today apps. I wonder if it's the T-mobile today plugin that causes it ?

Adge

Mr.Clark

Mr.Clark

Ninja

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013

Screen Alignment is a known fault, and requires replacement by the vendor under warranty. One way to test it is to draw some horizontal and vertical lines in Notes, and see if the offset is substantial enough to be more than just poor calibration. It's intermittent - there's more info on these forums.

I think the consensus is that some people do have battery problems, but it's harder to quantify....
[d]

I assume that they are not using the wifi constantly or leaving it on continuously? If they are the battery will die very quickly.

Ditto Bluetooth - I can get 48hrs light - moderate use out of the battery not using bluetooth or Wifi.

I doubt he'll have WiFi on, but he may have bluetooth on.

48 hours doesn't seem very long... I can get at least 3 days out of my Exec, probably more. Is the Hermes battery that much weaker?

Thanks for that, anyway. I'll check the screen alignment tomorrow.

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Devices:Touch HD
  • Twitter:@NikLP
I've had a number of issues, some of which seem to 'auto-resolve' after hard/soft resets...

My "favourite" (when I was stuck in Greece with no way of properly hard resetting) was when my alarm would not turn off, at all! It woke me up at 7am all right (grumble), but then wouldn't stop! I had to mute the whole handset, but it would still vibrate anyway! Yup, even with vibrate turned off...

Anyway, I had a backup with me, which I duly installed. Then exactly two hours later, it happened again. Except this time there was no alarm set, or anything. BE WARNED - backups are not necessarily as thorough as you think they are! The culprit (although why the alarm started sounding again anyway, when there was no evidence to suggest it was still set) turned out to be SPB backup.

So, NOTA BENE! If you are abroad, and you are restoring from backup (SPB) - you MUST ensure the following:

- restore your clock settings to your "home" time.
- check your "home" time is correct relevant to where you are (ie make sure if you are in Europe (GMT+2) that your clock is at GMT)

Otherwise, the backup gets very confused and everything really does go a bit wobbly...!

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
(Put this in a seperate post to avoid confusion)

Another couple of doozies to report also. Contrary to an earlier post, I also had a problem whereby my backlight would constantly reset itself to turn off every ten seconds. This is really bloody annoying. However, for no apparent reason it seems to have auto-corrected. After about 5 backup installs. I had originally had to switch the backlight auto power off to infinite to stop this happening.

My all-time favourite rears its ugly head again, as well. "Cannot start camera device. Camera is already running". I KNEW THAT! I STARTED IT! I WAS TRYING TO TAKE A PICTURE!!

Swine! Taking Panorama pictures then switching back to normal camera mode seems to trigger this abomination. Also the camera sometimes 'forgets' that it's supposed to be taking 2M shots and drops down to a much smaller size apparently on its own. Also the flash is total crap...

I can't be doing with the camera crashing though, there's no way to kill the process and I have to reset the unit to get it to come back on, which is a total pain in the butt.

Also, YET ANOTHER camera compaint... I use WMP a lot. I use it in the street. Sometimes I like to take pictures in the street. So, I don't necessarily want starting the camera app to totally kill WMP, DO I? What the hell is that all about? It happens EVERY time...

There's FAR too many bugs with this unit. I would happily downgrade if there was another unit even close to this one. Of course, I expect other power users to come back now and say, "hmph, never happens to me..?", but that's par for the course innit? :rolleyes:

richard_d

richard_d

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2

Another couple of doozies to report also. Contrary to an earlier post, I also had a problem whereby my backlight would constantly reset itself to turn off every ten seconds. This is really bloody annoying. However, for no apparent reason it seems to have auto-corrected. After about 5 backup installs. I had originally had to switch the backlight auto power off to infinite to stop this happening.

My all-time favourite rears its ugly head again, as well. "Cannot start camera device. Camera is already running". I KNEW THAT! I STARTED IT! I WAS TRYING TO TAKE A PICTURE!!

Swine! Taking Panorama pictures then switching back to normal camera mode seems to trigger this abomination. Also the camera sometimes 'forgets' that it's supposed to be taking 2M shots and drops down to a much smaller size apparently on its own. Also the flash is total crap...

I can't be doing with the camera crashing though, there's no way to kill the process and I have to reset the unit to get it to come back on, which is a total pain in the butt.

Also, YET ANOTHER camera compaint... I use WMP a lot. I use it in the street. Sometimes I like to take pictures in the street. So, I don't necessarily want starting the camera app to totally kill WMP, DO I? What the hell is that all about? It happens EVERY time...

There's FAR too many bugs with this unit. I would happily downgrade if there was another unit even close to this one. Of course, I expect other power users to come back now and say, "hmph, never happens to me..?", but that's par for the course innit? :rolleyes:

hmph, never happens to me :(

Richard
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous phone - Nokia 6630, Previous Mobile Windows Device - IBM z50 !

dskeeles

dskeeles

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
Rather than specific bugs, just an overall impression:

I currently have to soft-reset my Hermes at least once a day, with usual reasons being:
- It slows to a crawl for reasons unknown
- Skype hangs the system on loading
- Keyboard suddenly stops working

As for battery life, when using it in the same way I used my P910i, the battery nearly makes it through one day. This is with frequent internet access via 3G, but with no WiFi access, and little of the MP3 playback / Video streaming I bought it for.

[d]

jecuk

jecuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Devices:SP5

My all-time favourite rears its ugly head again, as well. "Cannot start camera device. Camera is already running".... Swine! Taking Panorama pictures then switching back to normal camera mode seems to trigger this abomination.

I just had this happen several times while travelling - first time I have seen it in a couple of months of ownership. It seems to be caused by moving the camera through the various modes other that straight camera. I never took panorama shots but certainly went through that mode. Always took a soft reset to fix.

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond
My four month old 3100 has recently started being a pain on activesync.

If I connect the device to the laptop, nothing happens, then when I reset the device, after restarting it tries to connect (even though I am no longer connected to the laptop)!

It started after spending three days in Spain with Paul...but I dont remember lending him my phone so I don't think he nobbled it...but I was very very drunk.

Touch HD runnign Dutty's latest rom

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

...but I was very very drunk.

Well that never helps, but it's definitely the handset.

On top of all the other crap I've been experiencing, I now have... THE SCREEN ALIGNMENT BUG! Tadaaaa! That's happened four or five times in the last couple of days. And there's more!

My 3G won't connect now either! Agile/IE all hang whilst attempting to connect, despite the fact the the unit reckons it's connected?? ALSO! The slider is now irritatingly loose!

This brings the number of complaints I have about this machine above the 'ridiculous' threshold! :rolleyes:

Orange really are daft sometimes when it comes to these units. It appears they've "tested" them as exhaustively as usual...

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

I currently have to soft-reset my Hermes at least once a day, with usual reasons being:

As for battery life, when using it in the same way I used my P910i, the battery nearly makes it through one day. This is with frequent internet access via 3G, but with no WiFi access, and little of the MP3 playback / Video streaming I bought it for.
[d]

I would appear to have been very lucky. IIRC I am packing two 632 units and neither has developed a problem, no slow downs, no hangs, no weird bugs, etc, etc. The only one I consistently get is that if I swap between portrait and landscape the keyboard has caps lock permananently on and if you click to turn it off it reappears on the next letter, but I can cure this by pressing 'dot' then caps lock. I very occasionally get something weird happening but having owned a first edition E200 and C500 the number of bugs I am getting on this handset is very, very small. My screen does seem to lose alignment very slightly on the transition between portrait and landscape also but I don't think this is the infamous screen alignment issue - its just off by a few pixels.

dskeeles

dskeeles

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

I would appear to have been very lucky.

This is my second Hermes after my first went back with the screen alignment issue. I'm usually resigned to these kind of problems because I tend to go for beta software, install every app out there, etc. I have been quite cautious with the Hermes, however...

Still, I suspect the freezes requiring resets could be a software/app issue, or when a network connection is slow enough to hang an app using it. I've been meaning to look for a Datalogging task manager, if one exists (something like Bootvis for XP), but haven't had time yet.

I'm starting to feel that a PDA/Phone is too crucial a device to have to require regular analysis/debugging/rebuilding, however!

d

nav007_2000

nav007_2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hello all,
I was wondering if someone could help me.
I use mail2web for push email. TO do this my GPRS is always on. However, during the day I might want to switch on my wifi card so that i can browse the net or speak to a friend via skype. Even though my V6015 connects to my wifi router, it still tries to access webpages using GRPS. I want it to use my wifi card and not the GPRS. Can I somehow set this up so that when i use internet explorer, by default it uses the wifi card and not GPRS?

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Hello all,
I use mail2web for push email. TO do this my GPRS is always on. However, during the day I might want to switch on my wifi card so that i can browse the net or speak to a friend via skype. Even though my V6015 connects to my wifi router, it still tries to access webpages using GRPS. I want it to use my wifi card and not the GPRS. Can I somehow set this up so that when i use internet explorer, by default it uses the wifi card and not GPRS?

You can use Paul's free NoData utility! Available here! While you have GPRS/WAP disabled, your unit will obviously default to WiFi :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

nav007_2000

nav007_2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

You can use Paul's free NoData utility! Available here! While you have GPRS/WAP disabled, your unit will obviously default to WiFi :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that. IS there a utility that could probably switch gprs back on?

richard_d

richard_d

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2

Thanks for that. IS there a utility that could probably switch gprs back on?

Pauls utility does that - it's a toggle

Richard
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous phone - Nokia 6630, Previous Mobile Windows Device - IBM z50 !

MPXtricky

MPXtricky

Rayman Rules!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S2 4.0.3
I've got mine set to connect with Wi-Fi when it's turned on and I don't need to turn GPRS off with any utility. I found the info in a thread somewhere here at Modaco - can't remember where it was though :rolleyes:

Pauls utility does that - it's a toggle

LushUK

LushUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:E200 & E500 & M1500

When sending text messages the receiptant complains they receive two or even three of the same message. In the sent items folder there is only a single message. Anyone else seen this?

Yes, if you are using the SPB Pocket Plus product, the close button feature in the settings is the cause.

Go to your spb settings, highlight the close button, click feature options, then go to the EXCEPTIONS tab, and find tmail.exe in your windows folder and select that as an exception - this keeps it from minimising the sending of the text message, which is sending numerous times because it isnt closing proplerly.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by LushUK, 09 November 2006 - 06:03 PM.

Of the choice of two evils, I pick the one I've never tried before!

http://www.thegeneva.com

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Yes, if you are using the SPB Pocket Plus product, the close button feature in the settings is the cause.

Go to your spb settings, highlight the close button, click feature options, then go to the EXCEPTIONS tab, and find tmail.exe in your windows folder and select that as an exception - this keeps it from minimising the sending of the text message, which is sending numerous times because it isnt closing proplerly.

Hope this helps! :D

Alternatively, what you must do is turn on a notification for 'SMS Sent' and wait for that notification before clicking the close button, after clicking send in the message window. That definitely works - takes a couple of seconds generally. If you are using SPB PPlus and have 'Alt+Tab Switching' switched on, the mail app will appear in that list, if you set it up as described by LushUK. If you don't mind that, then either way is good! :)

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Hello all,

I found that it only works like this if you let the wifi detect your network on its own THEN add the passkey. If I input the wireless settings before connecting to the network it would always try and use the 3G, if I do it the other way then it worked normally. Annoying because I had to turn the SSID on on my router so that I could detect it then turn it off again.

dwj

dwj

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Devices:Xperia X1

[d]

I am also experiencing this on my m3100. No bugs (yet) except I have to soft reset at least once a day because the whole thing just freezes up. Software I have installed is just the same as I had on old m500 which was ultra reliable. Think I had to soft reset that one maybe a couple of times in a year! Progress I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users