Post your bugs/issues here

Guest benzo

Guest richard_d
Hi & thanks for that idea. I have spb pocketplus, pocketbreeze diary& weather, tomtom 5 & a few games. Will load skype at some point too. Thats about it I think. I just switched it on to check if there was anything else & guess what!? Another soft reset to get it working!

You're not using batti with Pocketplus are you? Two battery monitors together has seemed to cause problems for some.

You're not using batti with Pocketplus are you? Two battery monitors together has seemed to cause problems for some.

No, Not familiar with batti. If its a software conflict maybe pocket plus & pocket breeze? Shouldnt be really, but its very annoying. Think I'll try a hard reset and reinstall everything. Maybe experiment between phone memory & the storage card & see if there's any difference.

Guest jimbouk

Will definitely be a conflict between WM5 and one or more of the third party apps.

I would hard reset then re-install the apps one at a time and leave it a day or two between installing each app so that you can identify the culprit.

Will definitely be a conflict between WM5 and one or more of the third party apps.

I would hard reset then re-install the apps one at a time and leave it a day or two between installing each app so that you can identify the culprit.

Thanks for help. I'll try that. I assume the culprit app would have to be running? I could enable the close button on SPB pocket plus in that case. I disabled it purely as I was too lazy to figure out the execeptions rule for messaging to stop that problem of people recieving the same text twice as has been discussed on the forums plenty times.

Guest pkiddie

Hi,

Now this is an interesting one tested on two Vario II's. If you add a garbage IMAP email account with random addresses/username and password, using EmailWiz, and once successfully added, immediately soft reset the device (sometimes necessary as we all know), the e-mail account dissapears from the 'Messaging' window.

I think the device still allocates space for it (I deleted my g-mail just to test a mates theory) and even though I can't access this garbage IMAP email account I can't put my g-mail account back on as the device complains saying 'There is insufficient space to create an account', using EmailWiz. Adding a new account through the Messaging windows is to no aviail either, I tap on Tools... New Account and the device just seems to sit there doing nothing. The above seems to trigger this weird behaviour, but my mate has tried this with a valid IMAP email account and it seems to do exactly the same thing.

Just to be complete, heres my ROM n Radio version:

ROM - 1.21.110.3 (06/19/06)

Radio - 1.05.05.00

Protocol - 32.36.7010.04H

Anyone tested this or can validate it? Also, does anyone know where all e-mail accounts are actually stored on the device - need to recover that one e-mail space for gmail!

Cheers,

Paul

Think Ive cracked it. May have just made mistake of putting some apps on storage card. I have done a hard reset & installed all spb apps etc to phone memory & fingers crossed havent had the "not waking up from standby" problem since. Hope that helps someone else with that bug.

Guest richard_d
Think Ive cracked it. May have just made mistake of putting some apps on storage card. I have done a hard reset & installed all spb apps etc to phone memory & fingers crossed havent had the "not waking up from standby" problem since. Hope that helps someone else with that bug.

Any Today screen plug ins should always be installed to the device.

Guest daedalia
My M3100 is less than 48 hours old, I charged it, used it and let it discharge comepletely to try and prolong battery life and no all I get is No Signal and no access to the phone menu. Ive tried looking on the XDA Developers site but cant seem to get onto it.

I got given the M3100 as the M600 I had broke down four times in 5 months! Im not the SPV's biggest fan at the moment.

CAN ANYONE HELP? IS IT A HARDWARE PROBLEM?

That is the worst thing you can do to a Lithium-Ion battery, they are designed to have their charge topped up and discharging them completely shortens their life-span. Nickel-Cadmium batteries are the ones you have to completely discharge before charging.

Guest fawkesey

On my M3100 I have a Voicemail Notification that will not clear no matter how many times I go to my voicemail or dismiss the notification.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it, eg., registry hacks?

Also ActiveSync has a habit of opening up randomly when I'm miles away from my PC.

After 3 weeks I love the phone, but think the operating system sucks! Only a MS-powered phone could come with a special button that reboots the thing.

Guest cjgarside
On my M3100 I have a Voicemail Notification that will not clear no matter how many times I go to my voicemail or dismiss the notification.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it, eg., registry hacks?

Also ActiveSync has a habit of opening up randomly when I'm miles away from my PC.

After 3 weeks I love the phone, but think the operating system sucks! Only a MS-powered phone could come with a special button that reboots the thing.

Hello,

Voicemail Notification

I have had this problem. I read on a different thread (that also solved it for me) to call your own phone from a different number and leave yourself a voicemail. Then call your voicemail from your handset, listen to the message and delete it. Wait a few seconds then end the call to voicemail.

It was suggested that sometimes the voicemail service doesn't send the command over the network that a voicemail has been acioned on and so the voicemail notification is still present. Doing the above should work and remove the notification. AFAIK its a network issue rather than a handset/operating system issue.

Activesync Self Starting

As for activesync, I did the following which helped (again from a different post):

1) Connect and start up AS on your handset.

2) Tap the menu tab/soft key and tap "Add Server Source".

3) Configure a server source with a dummy IP address, user id, password and domain name; these do not have to be real.

4) Once configured you should have another sync source show up on your main AS screen...continue on.

5) Tap the menu soft key again and you should see that the sync schedule option is no longer greyed out.

6) Change your schedule from a timed automatic start of AS to manual under both fields

7) If you try to sync now, AS will try to contact your imaginary exchange server and that will take forever until it times out, so you can now delete the exchange server from your list of sync sources. Your changes to the sync schedule will remain and will survive soft resets too.

Regards,

Chris

YET ANOTHER PROBLEM!! and replacement handset coming...

My usb connector failed this afternoon. On the tram. My headphones packed in working all of a sudden, and the carriage consequently filled with dodgy Metal, eminating from the back of my handset. Rather annoying.

Further to that, plugging the handset into my PC revealed I had also lost the ability to sync! Although confusingly it would still charge.

AND my earpiece started distorting again yesterday (reason for last replacement),

AND the screen still misaligns

AND the WMP fault still occurs

AND when are Orange going to get us a damned ROM update for all this??

Guest jimbouk
YET ANOTHER PROBLEM!! and replacement handset coming...

My usb connector failed this afternoon. On the tram. My headphones packed in working all of a sudden, and the carriage consequently filled with dodgy Metal, eminating from the back of my handset. Rather annoying.

Further to that, plugging the handset into my PC revealed I had also lost the ability to sync! Although confusingly it would still charge.

AND my earpiece started distorting again yesterday (reason for last replacement),

AND the screen still misaligns

AND the WMP fault still occurs

AND when are Orange going to get us a damned ROM update for all this??

I am amazed at your bad luck. I know about 40 M3100 owners and all but one are happy with their devices - admittedly I look after about 15 of them as part of support contracts - but none have experienced the problems that you list.

The one guy who isn't happy with his is experiencing connectivity problems which I think is just down to a weak transceiver.

The only problem with mine is where the coating on the back of the screen module is flaking off (where my right forefinger rubs against it when in landscape mode)!

Guest daedalia

No matter what I do sometimes my device will refuse to use third party software input panels. Some resets they'll work, others they wont. Anyone else?

I am amazed at your bad luck. I know about 40 M3100 owners and all but one are happy with their devices - admittedly I look after about 15 of them as part of support contracts - but none have experienced the problems that you list.

The one guy who isn't happy with his is experiencing connectivity problems which I think is just down to a weak transceiver.

The only problem with mine is where the coating on the back of the screen module is flaking off (where my right forefinger rubs against it when in landscape mode)!

I think a lot of the software problems have been caused by Agile Messenger, but there's been SO many of them it's almost unbelievable. Maybe it's Pocket Plus as well or something. I got my new handset saturday morning, and I think I must have reset it about 10 times by the end of the weekend! I'll probably have to check through all my software and see how it goes...

Guest stripeycat

Something i've noticed on my 3100 is that the Today clock is incredibly sluggish... most noticeable when i've got DeviceLock running, the topbar clock is correct but the larger Today screen clock remains at the time is was when i applied Devicelock...! Or when it comes out of sleep, it takes two or three seconds to update? Has anyone else had this?

Guest SoftDog

Hi there,

Does anyone have an issue with the buttons on the handset not responding if the phone has been off for a while or rings after a period of time?

I have 2 issues:

1) when you turn the phone on the buttons on the device don't work for quite some time. The RING and HANGUP buttons don't work. If I push the MESSAGING button after a while the messages appear and then the buttons function as usual. this usually seems to happen when the is LOCK enabled then turned off.

2) the phone rings and I can't answer it using the buttons, only the touch screen. I can answer the phone using the touch screen just not with the buttons but once answered and hung up on screen, the buttons start to work.

Having played about with the settings, not using lock helps with the first problem but the second one still occurs occasionally. I am not sure if this is related to PIN security which goes on after 2 hours. I have turned this off to see if this makes any difference and I will let you know what i come back with.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to stop it happening? I am using the Orange SPV M3100 and have only had it for a week.

Thanks!

Guest jimbouk
I think a lot of the software problems have been caused by Agile Messenger, but there's been SO many of them it's almost unbelievable. Maybe it's Pocket Plus as well or something. I got my new handset saturday morning, and I think I must have reset it about 10 times by the end of the weekend! I'll probably have to check through all my software and see how it goes...

I am a really strong believer that a lot a third party software has the capacity to screw up devices - and that whilst the developers test their own products, they do not test them with other third party apps. Hence the problems when people have xxxxxxxxxx installed alongside yyyyyyyyyyy. Similarly MS aren't responsible for what the networks pre-load and how they set up the devices.

Whilst the fact we can load so many apps and customise our devices is a major attraction of WM devices, it comes with the risk that its easy to break them to.

I would try running it with just the orange rom for a few days - and without restoring anything from backups - and then add one app at a time - to see which one (or which combination) screw it up.