Activesync over bluetooth

Guest barrybryce

Guest barrybryce

Has... uhm... anyone managed to get this to work?

I've been playing around for ages and all I got to sync was a head and an ache.

I even cheated and looked at the manual AND the help files :)

Guest danwatson1974

Apparently there are people who have managed it ... but they are people with a deeper knowledge of bluetooth ports and stuff like that than I have.

Good luck .... I have been trying to get this to work for ages, but with zero success. It's a shame, because I love the idea of having my M500 sync automatically whenever I walk into the house, and it makes me feel small and stupid because I can't make it work :)

Edited by danwatson1974

If you watch all the star wars films backwards in reverse chronological order it will tell you the secret. In secret Jedi language.

If you can put up with that madness, tell me, cos I've no end of bloody bother with it.

Edited by NikLP

Guest daddyo

can't sync over BT either because my laptop created a BT com port with a number > 10

the active sync help states the com port must be numbered <10!

Any suggestions appreciated as I can't force my laptop to create an appropriate com port number even though the list of com ports only shows 4 active com ports for BT!!

Edited by daddyo

Guest Paul (MVP)

Try going into device manager and viewing hidden devices (maybe in safe mode), and deleting all the COM ports that show up there but aren't used any more?

P

Guest barrybryce

Finally got it working. To be honest I don't quite know how though, so wouldn't be much use to anyone else with the same problem.

I think trying to initiate the connection on the device while activesync was tryig to look at that port might have been the thing that clinched it...

Guest jimbouk

I have found that the activeysnc 4.x help files re bluetooth work. On my last three devices I have followed the three point system they suggest to the letter and its worked first time each time.

(But as some of you have found out, there are loads of potential issues around bt com ports - the trick seems to be to follow the process in the help files before you try anything yourself - which just doesnt seem right for us gadget freaks)!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest daddyo

thanks for the help paul,

ive looked in device manager and about 5 com ports are present

when I right click on one of them and go to advanced and then try to change the port number there is a list of com ports from 1 to 200 or so. However, the first 35 of them are "in use"!

I only have 3 BT devices that could be using these ports so I need to free the lower numbred ports up.

Any furhter suggestions appreciated as i'm sure it's the port numbering that is causing my problems

with active sync

Cheers

Guest jchamier

I was trying to get it working on my work IBM T40, which came with the "widcomm" bluetooth drivers. I found a way to switch to the Microsoft XP SP2 bluetooth drivers, but this comes at a cost - no headset support.

However once I'd done this, I was able to get ActiveSync to work reliably over bluetooth with my loan C600 (with AKU2). Its not automatic though.

When in range you have to go into ActiveSync on the phone and use the menu to choose "connect via bluetooth" which opens the connection. then you can press the SYNC softkey button. Don't forget to close the connection to save battery.

On my nokia 6230 the pcsuite application detects the phone in range and you just double click the icon in the system tray to sync.

Not sure which I prefer, PC initiated, or phone initiated.

One tip that may help get rid of duplicate drivers in device manager is to set an environment variable (control panel -> system icon -> advanced tab -> environment variables button). In the system variables section click the New button.

in the name box enter: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices

in the value box enter: 1

Click OK twice.

Now close and re-open the device manager and when you choose view->show hidden devices - you will also see devices that the system knows but are not currently connected. (e.g. the drivers for usb memory sticks not plugged in).