HSDPA on Vario II

Guest Nox_UK

Guest Nox_UK

Firstly, Hi, & thanks MoDaCo, you told me when the Vario II was in stock :D and I now have one in my hands!!! I'm very happy.

First (probably stupid question) though, is how do I tell if HSDPA is enabled or not? i'm gradually going through the quick start guide, then manual lol.

Nox

Guest gingerprince

Go to www.speedtest.net (or similar) and test your speed. If you get >300Mbit/sec (ie more than 30KB/second) download then you'r on HSDPA :D

There's probably a more direct way to check but Im not blesses with the posession of such a device :D

Guest rickwookie

I got this using http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ :

post-53305-1156255267_thumb.jpg

Anyone know any good tests that do upload speed as well that will run on WM5? I usually use http://www.adslguide.org/speedtest/ but that needs java. (Can I install java on this device???)

[Edit:] Before you ask, no I didn't do the test while I was connected to my PC as this would have used my ADSL broadband connection. That's 2Meg anyway. You'll just have to trust me that this IS HSDPA!

Edited by rickwookie

Guest Snoopstah

I've signed up to 'My T-Mobile' on their website. If I go there click 'View Account Info', click 'Mobile Phone Summary', and click 'View or modify additional allowances and services', I have, amongst other things listed, an item reading:

HSDPA 384k Uplink

Guest WILBUR
So that looks like a way you can check for sure if you have HSDPA enabled on your account.

hmmm - I don't have anything apart from my Relax 25 voice plan showing in the "Mobile phone summary" page - but I've just phoned to check and I do have WnW Pro on my account - and I am getting about 800kbps transfer speeds....

Guest WILBUR
Did you click ''View or modify additional allowances and services' from the mobile phone summary page?

ah - apologies. I do indeed have "HSDPA 384k Uplink" and "web 'n' walk professional" listed under additional services

Guest mattie01

my hspda was off by default, they are turning it on for me, but it will be activated at my next billing cycle :D oh well i can cope till then

thast strnage just did a speedtest from bandwitdh place and i got 773.1kilobits a second.. surely thats faster then normal 3g?

Edited by mattie01

my hspda was off by default, they are turning it on for me, but it will be activated at my next billing cycle :D oh well i can cope till then

thast strnage just did a speedtest from bandwitdh place and i got 773.1kilobits a second.. surely thats faster then normal 3g?

Can someone tell me whether HSDPA is standard on the

Guest mattie01

the reasons why i have stated that my dspda was off by default was i checked under the settings in "my t-mobile" like others on here have said.

and when i called t-mobile they said they would turn on web and walk pro but as the month has already stated i would have to wait till the next billing month till W'n'W pro was enabled... but i would prob pay the extra 2.50

as so i can use it as a modem.

the t-mob guys stated to me, that upgrading from the 7.50 W'n'W enabled me to use the hspda access and to use it as a modem.

and he did quote it at

Guest blade-jac

How would t-mobile know if you used the phone as a modem??

Does it just refer to using the Sim in a modem card???

I Can't find anything to prove which one has HSDPA, although CS said you needed pro for fast internet..

Other think is some people said something about getting a "U" for there data carrier at the top of the screen.. mine says 3G

I have the standard web n walk and get 800Kbps which is a little fast for standard 3g and slower than my colleagues 3.5G Tmobile datacard which was well over 1mb

Im so confused :S

Guest blade-jac
I have just added HSDPA to my non pro account... and it shows in 'my t-mobile'.

The device doesn't indicate HSDPA in any way.

P

Did you do this online or with Customer services?

I take it was a phone call as per guys above !

Edited by blade-jac

Guest julianmclean

So, I'm a bit confused now. If you can get HSDPA on WnW Standard, and I've not heard of any port blocking then what exactly does WnW Pro get you?

I know in theory it is modem use, and someone told me you need Pro to actually download files (which I can't believe), but I'm not convinced they can detect model use very easily, especially if it is occaisonal use.

I was planning on going with Pro, but the more I hear, the more it seems pointless, and I'll just argue and upgrade later if I need it.

Any thoughts?

Guest steveA

I've got the standard W'nW and after reading the above posts phoned T Mobile today and asked for HSDPA to be enabled on my account.

CS had to put me through to a techie and werent able to give me a direct number for them. Before the phone call I did a speed test from www.bandwidthplace.com which resulted in under 300kbps. After the phone call to T (about 20 mins later and a restart), I did the test again and got 1.2 mbps :D

I also asked the guy what the difference between W'nW and the pro was. The ONLY difference is the pro allows you to use your phone as a modem. According to the techie, both also have the same fair usage policy

I also asked the guy what the difference between W'nW and the pro was. The ONLY difference is the pro allows you to use your phone as a modem. According to the techie, both also have the same fair usage policy

BUT can they tell if youre using the phone as a modem anyway??

Guest steveA

My guess would be no. What protocol does HSDPA use? Is it its own protocol or does it use TCP/IP?

BUT can they tell if youre using the phone as a modem anyway??

Guest Snoopstah

I can't see how they could tell if you were careful - but things like Windows Update automatically checking for new patches would pretty soon give it away.