HSDPA on Vario II

Guest Nox_UK

Guest dejul23

I was told that I needed w n w pro, but I persisted with 'technical guy' and he added it on, to be fair to t-mobile it is a new technology. The techie also said it officially goes live on sept 1st.

Guest randomelements

Well, earlier on I was getting "unable to get a server assigned IP address" but thought it might have been something to do with mucking about with the DNS servers for my connection as I was doing that at the time.

I got home and ran a speed check just out of curiosity and, hey presto, it gave a result of 1.2 megs a second - that looks remarkably like HSDPA speeds to me even though I was told yesterday I couldn't have it!!!

Now I'm not moaning that I've got a nice, speedy connection but they really do need to sort it out from the CS point of view.

Edited by randomelements

Guest Paul (MVP)
Well, earlier on I was getting "unable to get a server assigned IP address"

I've had that a couple of times over the past few days too :D

P

Guest AFK_Matrix
Well, earlier on I was getting "unable to get a server assigned IP address" but thought it might have been something to do with mucking about with the DNS servers for my connection as I was doing that at the time.

I got home and ran a speed check just out of curiosity and, hey presto, it gave a result of 1.2 megs a second - that looks remarkably like HSDPA speeds to me even though I was told yesterday I couldn't have it!!!

Now I'm not moaning that I've got a nice, speedy connection but they really do need to sort it out from the CS point of view.

If you want to double check if you have HSDPA on your contract if you sign up to My Tmobile on there webpage you can go into account summary i think it is then additional services. In there it should mention HSDPA.

Guest StuBFrost

The reason given as to why I can't have HSDPA was given as:

"HSDPA is designed to replace Web 'n' Walk pro and offer broadband style data transfer speeds. But we haven't launched HSDPA to our customer base at all. This is why we can't offer it to you right now."

So is this T-Mobile person misinformed and should I continue to argue ?

Guest randomelements

Well, it doesn't show at the moment but I know it can take 24 hours for things to actually appear.

Still, I'm not going to argue with the speeds I'm getting.

Guest AndrewH13

Before asking for it to be turned on I got 1.2 Mbits/sec. Asked CS, told it would take an hour and it then appeared on account online. Since then got 800-900 Kbits sec.

Email fine but www on and off 5-10 mins at a time although 3G square icon remains constantly on.

When page not opening, often times out with error 0x80072f78, anyone else had this or know what it means?

Guest Tommy Squeaker
When page not opening, often times out with error 0x80072f78, anyone else had this or know what it means?

Yeah i get that quite regular, dont know what it means tho :D

I had no trouble getting hsdpa turned on, havent checked on line as of yet, waiting on a pin thro the post.

I have done 2 speed tests so far, one was 79kbs the other was just over 300, ive been trying to do a third one , as its a couple of days since i recorded those rates and have since added hsdpa., but im currently having trouble registering anything.

Guess i dont live in a good area for either 3g or hsdpa :D

Folks

There seems to be a fundamental problem with web browsing and HSDPA. Im using Opera and have left the connection with the Tmob dns servers, or tried Pauls alternatives.

When it comes to data downloads, speed tests, push email etc the connection seems to work fine, but web browsing is hit and miss, and seems to be getting worse.

I seem to be spending most of my time looking at the bottom bar saying "Sending request" and just hanging for ages. Even half way through downloading a web page it stops and hangs. It seems to be worse now than when I started using it and changing the dns servers seems to make no difference.

I get a 100% signal on 3G so that isnt the problem. Also I have found my RSS reader takes forever to download new content although podcasts are really quick.#I think the only conclusion seems to be, especially as we all seem to be having the same troubles, the Tmobiles service has problems.

Perhaps as its such a new service that we should expect this, but it would be nice if Tmobile could confirm the probs and we could all stop rebooting and reconnecting and generally trying to twiddle with things trying to solve a problem that we cant actually achieve.

Im going to disable HSDPA and see if that helps any.

Rob

Guest Vibein
Folks

There seems to be a fundamental problem with web browsing and HSDPA. Im using Opera and have left the connection with the Tmob dns servers, or tried Pauls alternatives.

When it comes to data downloads, speed tests, push email etc the connection seems to work fine, but web browsing is hit and miss, and seems to be getting worse.

I seem to be spending most of my time looking at the bottom bar saying "Sending request" and just hanging for ages. Even half way through downloading a web page it stops and hangs. It seems to be worse now than when I started using it and changing the dns servers seems to make no difference.

I get a 100% signal on 3G so that isnt the problem. Also I have found my RSS reader takes forever to download new content although podcasts are really quick.#I think the only conclusion seems to be, especially as we all seem to be having the same troubles, the Tmobiles service has problems.

Perhaps as its such a new service that we should expect this, but it would be nice if Tmobile could confirm the probs and we could all stop rebooting and reconnecting and generally trying to twiddle with things trying to solve a problem that we cant actually achieve.

Rob

Yup deffo something up, was fine the day I first got the phone last week, now its slowwwww also hit and miss surfing. Will just have to wait and see like you said still a new service.

Edited by Vibein

Guest randomelements

Well, the HSDPA isn't actually supposed to go live until Friday so maybe it is a few pre-launch glitches.

Hopefully, they'll get them ironed out.

Guest AndrewH13
0x80072f78 - Yeah i get that quite regular, dont know what it means tho :D

Nor do Technical Support, initially they said send unit back if I keep getting it, then when I explained yesterday www fine through my Wireless router, they agreed it seems a service isssue. Google throws no light on it, other than Windows Update probs!

Off topic but I was initially concerned unit faulty re above. Can anyone confirm that Backlight change in Settings from 10secs to 2 minutes should be RETAINED after switching off?

Guest AndrewH13
Guess i dont live in a good area for either 3g or hsdpa :D

Do you get the 3G white square continously. I do even when no www pages will open. The next icon shows 3G with 2-4 signal strength but I assume this is Phone signal and not relevant to strength for data?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Off topic but I was initially concerned unit faulty re above. Can anyone confirm that Backlight change in Settings from 10secs to 2 minutes should be RETAINED after switching off?

Yes it should!

P

Guest jimbouk

The 3G White square purely means that the phone can receive a 3G signal - the signal strength meter next to it denotes the strength of the 3G connection.

Guest AndrewH13
Folks

Rob

If 3G network contact made, then why are emails fine but cant load a web page? I could understand if signal strength for wireless access not there and we couldnt do anything. Where do you get the 100% signal showing? And I thought if 3G not available, we would still get a slower www access. I get on for say 10-20 mins then off for 10 mins.

T-mobile have asked me to log times and postcode - not sure how I know postcode when im out and about though. They said heavier traffic could be affecting it. It does seem better mornings than evenings but I will see over a few days. Have you found any pattern to its workings?

How do you disable HSDPA - I thought only Tmob had abilty to switch on and off? As I said earlier, I had 1.2 mbps when supposidly not on (not asked for and not on account online) but still intermittant www access and occasional 0x80072f78 error when page wouldnt open.

Guest jimbouk

You can either disable HSDPA with a reg hack or fit4cat's tweaker, and thus try standard 3G, or you can set your device to only use the networks 2G network (in Phone Settings) and thus only connect via GPRS.

My guess is that the speed issues are down to heavy traffic (is that a downside to wnw) or weak signal.

Guest julianmclean

I'm not sure I've done this right. I'm not seeing the PlanetLabs splash page. When I try to open a page, I get the bubble telling me its trying to connect to "T-Mobile GPRS Test", but it hangs for a few seconds. Then it seems to connect, but when I looks back at the bubble it lists "T-Mobile" and "T-Mobile GPRS Test", so I think it is reverting to the normal settings. Any ideas?

[EDIT]

Ignore, this wrong topic!

Edited by julianmclean

Guest Tommy Squeaker
Do you get the 3G white square continously. I do even when no www pages will open. The next icon shows 3G with 2-4 signal strength but I assume this is Phone signal and not relevant to strength for data?

yeah I get the white 3g box all the time, how do you know If your connected to hsdpa or 3g?

I've just done the speed test cos today its seems to be ten times faster than it usually is and I got 240 kbs, now that is slow compared to others but it is flying compared to last night and other times, maybe it is a traffic thing.

Guest noodles-21

Phoned t-mobile asked for the HSDPA to be added i refreshed my account after i put the phone down and hey presto it's there :D

getting 1.1mb - 1.2mb/s now.

my wireless linksys wrt54gl that i ordered monday came this morning was a bit fiddly setting up the vario 2 but got there in the end.

All's well :D

Edited by noodles-21

Guest wrxppp

I used the vario2 in Portsmouth over the weekend and it to be the slowest connection anywhere to date.

3G was showing but was never a fast connection.

If HSDPA can't be found then the symbol falls back to a G.

PS now after a hard reset, I've lost the 3G symbol and it uses a U instead?

Guest wrxppp
I assume you didn't install the EXTROM wrxppp?

P

No idea what that is.

I have so little time to play with the V2 yet so many problems to sort out on it (getting BT and the modem working....)

Guest theroadwarrior
No idea what that is.

I have so little time to play with the V2 yet so many problems to sort out on it (getting BT and the modem working....)

Long time lurker... just registered :D

Got my Vario II today, so nartually first thing (almost!) i did was to phone 150 to get HSDPA added (I have WnW normal, NOT pro)

Got put through to tech, guy initially said 'its for WnW pro only'

So i pressed him, saying basically other people i know have had it added to WnW standard etc...

So then he says, ' Well i certainly CAN add it to your account, but theres no guarrentee it'll give you higher speeds, and it could cost you to use it-'

So basically he was saying;

web access under HSDPA MIGHT cost you outside of the WnW