Tornado Radio Update 4.1.13.19_02.37.01

Guest merwin

Guest merwin

EDIT awarner As this is not from an official source use this cab at your own risk.

This is supposed to fix most of the "searching" problem in the tornado/faraday devices in North America.

NOTE: This radio version has been reported to be not compatible with Celltrack

The nk.nbf file can be found here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/30421834/nk.nbf.html

A pre-packaged version (created by me) can be found here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/30432029/Tornad....37.01.zip.html

The pre-packaged version was uploaded using a non-premium account so it will be deleted in 30 days.

The nbf contains Radio 4.1.13.19_02.37.01 -- It does not contain any OS, so it will only update the radio. It should only take about 30 seconds to flash.

I've had mixed reports about the effectiveness of fixing the "searching" problem, but it's definately worth a shot for anyone having problems.

Edited by merwin

Guest Pondrew

Just to clarify, and to ensure members don't install this unecessarily, am I right in thinking this 'Searching' issue is one specific to North America? Where members in North America have been complaining about the Tornado spending long periods of time searching for signal...

just installed it, i was having that searching for network problem and so far it seems alright.

updating process went flawless, and the only thing different i notice is that i don't see the EDGE triangle logo anymore, but just the normal triangle logo.

Guest The Doctor

flashed it and tbh its not worth it really. can't get celltrack working with this radio version and signal strength seems worse.

flashed back the imate aku2 gsm section and all is good in the world again :D

phil

Guest merwin
flashed it and tbh its not worth it really. can't get celltrack working with this radio version and signal strength seems worse.

flashed back the imate aku2 gsm section and all is good in the world again :D

phil

Odd... it seems to have increased my signal strength. Maybe it's a North American thing... although, the nk.nbf is tagged as CHS (Chinese Simplified). It most likely came from a Dopod phone.

Edited by merwin

Guest The Doctor
Odd... it seems to have increased my signal strength. Maybe it's a North American thing... although, the nk.nbf is tagged as CHS (Chinese Simplified). It most likely came from a Dopod phone.

probably designed to improve reception on the 850/1900 MHz bands.... which arent in use in the uk (900/1800Mhz).

So as pondrew said its probably a north america specific issue.

Phil

Guest merwin
probably designed to improve reception on the 850/1900 MHz bands.... which arent in use in the uk (900/1800Mhz).

So as pondrew said its probably a north america specific issue.

Phil

I completely agree. I updated the original post to reflect that it's to counter a problem in North America, and also it's effect on CellTrack

Guest slstewart

Could someone please direct a smartphone challenged newbie :D to the step by step directions for installing this update. I have downloaded the packaged file but I can't seem to get it to install.

Thanx in advance :D

Guest merwin
Could someone please direct a smartphone challenged newbie :D to the step by step directions for installing this update. I have downloaded the packaged file but I can't seem to get it to install.

Thanx in advance :D

What are you trying to do to install it? You connect your smartphone (turned on) to your computer (with activesync on) and run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe

Follow the steps there and you should be fine.

Edited by merwin

Guest slstewart
What are you trying to do to install it? You connect your smartphone (turned on) to your computer (with activesync on) and run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe

Follow the steps there and you should be fine.

Followed all the steps and when the progress bar comes up I get error 294, (invalid vendor ID).My phone is an application unlocked 2125 on the cingular network using the software from spv- dev site and I have been able to load other unsigned software with no issues. I'm not completely ignorant only slightly challenged so please have a little tolerance.

Guest sleewok

I'm rather curious to find out if this will increase my overall battery life. I'm not sure if this would have an affect on the battery life. My phone would constantly go into a quick search, and then say "home" followed by "cingular". After this update it seems that I have a solid connection to Cingular (no longer going to a quick search, home, then cingular).

I'll post my results.

Guest flywest

another newbie question here,

so i run the romupdateutlity.exe and when I get to the screen that it will now update my ROM to the current version I get confused. Will it flash my whole phone or does it know to just grab the radio file somehow and update it only???

Guest The Doctor
another newbie question here,

so i run the romupdateutlity.exe and when I get to the screen that it will now update my ROM to the current version I get confused. Will it flash my whole phone or does it know to just grab the radio file somehow and update it only???

the update contains the GSM radio section ONLY. it will leave your OS as it is so all your programs, messages, settings etc will be safe :D

Phil

Guest tamanaco
the update contains the GSM radio section ONLY. it will leave your OS as it is so all your programs, messages, settings etc will be safe :D

Phil

I'm in the US. If I install this Radio Update in my Qtek 8310 and makes things worse... how do I regress to the previous version? I want to try it before I buy it.

Thanks

Guest flywest
I'm in the US. If I install this Radio Update in my Qtek 8310 and makes things worse... how do I regress to the previous version? I want to try it before I buy it.

Thanks

I would like to know the same. I am in the US but have a Qtek8300. I dont know if this update will have negative consequences since only the US versions have the HUMP or bigger antenna. ROM may be built to take advantage of that.

Guest The Doctor
I would like to know the same. I am in the US but have a Qtek8300. I dont know if this update will have negative consequences since only the US versions have the HUMP or bigger antenna. ROM may be built to take advantage of that.

The new radio version is designed to improve reception on the 850MHz/1900Mhz Bands (the ones in use in the USA)

However should you wish to revert to the previous radio version follow the same steps in the first post but use the attached files instead. Your phone must have CID= 11111111

Phil

previous_radio.zip

Edited by The Doctor

Guest bopgun
The new radio version is designed to improve reception on the 850MHz/1900Mhz Bands (the ones in use in the USA)

However should you wish to revert to the previous radio version follow the same steps in the first post but use the attached files instead. Your phone must have CID= 11111111

Phil

I doubt this is designed to improve reception on the 850/1900 mhz bands. this radio update is originally from an Orange C600 ROM, I believe. as far as I know (and I'm in the US, I'm not that familiar with Orange) they don't use those bands in Europe?

I don't doubt that it may help the 'searching' issue, but I don't think it's designed for North American GSM issues.

This is more likely a Dopod ROM as it was in chinese. Not Orange. Either way, since Dopod is in Asia, I guess they still dont use the bands. Maybe it is something else, not just the bands.

I can't flash this to my T-Mobile SDA (US). the flash utility gives me an "Invalid Vendor"error. Any thoughts?

ROM version: 1.0.14.0

OPERATOR version: 1.9.19.16

Radio Version: 4.0.13.20_01.09.00

Just updated it on my Dopod 577W running the Qtek 2.0.9.0 firmware. Works fine - fixes the frequent Home Service messages. Seems to have improved the battery life too. dow you need to unlock and change the CID of the phone to the super CID to get round your issue. Also your software looks pretty old - AKU2?

I can't flash this to my T-Mobile SDA (US). the flash utility gives me an "Invalid Vendor"error. Any thoughts?

ROM version: 1.0.14.0

OPERATOR version: 1.9.19.16

Radio Version: 4.0.13.20_01.09.00

You need to use SPV Services tool to Set your CID to all 1's (SuperCID).

Guest existential

I just used this updater on my T-Mobile US SDA, and now it won't turn on. It will display the T-Mobile logo screen, and then go black. I've tried to hard reset, but after it asks me to put in the 0, it goes blank again. When I plug it in, an orange light will come on for about 4 seconds, and then go off for about four seconds.

Eek! Did I just brick my new toy?

Update: Now when I try to turn it on or hard reset it just does nothing. /sigh

I just used this updater on my T-Mobile US SDA, and now it won't turn on. It will display the T-Mobile logo screen, and then go black. I've tried to hard reset, but after it asks me to put in the 0, it goes blank again. When I plug it in, an orange light will come on for about 4 seconds, and then go off for about four seconds.

Eek! Did I just brick my new toy?

Update: Now when I try to turn it on or hard reset it just does nothing. /sigh

boot the phone into the bootloader (3 color mode) and run the the original firmware flash... you can find that here:

http://www.htcamerica.net/support/tmobile_SDA_downloads.html

When you run the flash app, it will wait a little bit and then say that it couldn't detect the phone, and ask you if you want to run the emergency flash. Say yes to it and it should start flashing the original full firmware back onto the phone.