WebIS update FlexMail 2007

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
logo.gif

WebIS, developers of leading Pocket PC replacement mail application FlexMail 2007, have released an update adding a number of features to their already well-respected client.

Release '2007 Build 981', dated August 23rd 2006, adds some pretty significant features making it worthy enough of a news post, specifically:

# NEW Full Featured Rules Engine
# NEW Folder Searching
# NEW Fast Database Engine
# NEW Meeting Request support
# NEW Addressbook Auto-Complete
# NEW Reply/Forwarded Flags support
# NEW IMAP IDLE for non-SSL account
# NEW Powerful Per-folder Synchronization settings
# NEW Assign Sent/Drafts to IMAP Server folders

Add this to the fact that the application already has some excellent features including HTML mail support for IMAP / POP3, GMail POP3 SSL support, SMS support and Pocket Informat integration, and IMHO the application is well worth at least a trial install!

You can find out more at WebIS and purchase / download a trial at MoDaCo FairDeal.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think! :D

P

31.png

Guest Webreaper

Looks like a really good alternative to Pocket outlook. Scuppered only by the fact that unlike PO, I can't use left/right keys to move between accounts, which makes it a royal PITA to use one-handed. Shame, as I'd have loved to use the client-side rules processing. :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm using it pretty much in the same view style as the regular messaging app, I just like the preview-pane down the bottom to save me opening every message.

I'd like to be able to rename 'ActiveSync' to 'Exchange' like I can with the built in app, and i'd love HTML read support for Exchange too. I've mailed these suggestions and a couple of others to them of course :D

P

post-1-1156424708_thumb.gif

Guest Sonicr360

I wanted to add to this post, so apologies if I repeat anything.

I have been searching for a "decent" Email client. I have tried quite a few 3rd party apps and to be truthful I always ended up back at Pocket Outlook.

When I came across FlexMail2006, I felt the product looked to provide the functionaility I was after, as well as extra additions like HTML and Signatures.

However, on my XDA EXEC, the main problem, was the memory foot print. It was simply TOO large and too slow.

On a GPRS connection, retrieving mail was starting to become a pain, so I reverted back to P.Outlook and used this. Not surprisingly, it was quicker, but it would be - its basic email functionaility!!

Yesterday I downloaded FM 2007. Am I impressed?

YES!!!!!!!!!! Its a huge leap forward, not just in memory, but performance. In fact, GPRS performace was JUST as quick as P.Outlook! I do not use Push Email, but I am 95% sure its there - at the end of the day its a mail client, that retrieves emails. Correct me if I am wrong anyone - but the only issue I do see is whether you get notification that "push" mail is there (which you get for Pocket Outlook!)

HTML is nice to have, and its great for POP3 - but why still NOT via Active Sync.

On one of their forums, a reponse was made and it had something to do with the way emails are placed via Active Sync - So I cannot blame the product. Also remember, P.Outlook does not do this.

Could be a design issue - but would be very nice to have.

The product also sits nicely in the taskbar - again, its performance is greatly increased, and overall I would strongly recommend this.

As well as the functionaility, the VIEWS you can setup, means the product can be configured to suit your requirements.

Overall, its a strong product to use and even if you trial it, you will either like it, and make it your default mail and SMS client or uninstall it!

For me, the XDA EXEC has ALWAYS been to replace my Dell Insprion Laptop - I am very, very close do doing this from a functionaility point of view.

HIGHLY recommend the trial - up to you if you buy :D

Thanks for reading.

Simon

Guest Confucious

How do you get rid of this? I installed the trial on my Exec and it doesn't appear in the remove programs list and like a fool I have made it my default mail client.

Problems I've had:

1) No notification of Push Email - major disaster and that alone would make me want to revert to pocket Outlook.

2) I have lost 2 texts - they come up with a notification and I read them but when I went into Fleximail they have disappeared never to bee seen again.

3) Replying to texts sometimes just puts boxes in the Too address - a memory problem? A real pain.

4)Sometimes will not work without a reboot - can't remember the exact error but something likw wsmail.exe not a valid aplication - works fine after a reboot bunt can't access it at all until I do.

5) Everything just seems much harder work than with PO.

6) Main reason I tried it was for HTML email support but I still get "your email client does not support HTML"

Now I want to remove it and can't find how to!

Any ideas?

Ta

PS Installed on SD card on a HTC Universal - your experience may be completely different from muine but I just want plain Pocket Outlook back!

Guest Sonicr360
How do you get rid of this? I installed the trial on my Exec and it doesn't appear in the remove programs list and like a fool I have made it my default mail client.

Problems I've had:

1) No notification of Push Email - major disaster and that alone would make me want to revert to pocket Outlook.

Under the SETTINGS option, for the Notification Tab, is anything selected (ie: Notify when receiving new email)?

2) I have lost 2 texts - they come up with a notification and I read them but when I went into Fleximail they have disappeared never to bee seen again.

Unsure what you mean! SMS Messages I guess? turn it off - do not integrate SMS messages with the application?

3) Replying to texts sometimes just puts boxes in the Too address - a memory problem? A real pain.

you do not have to integrate SMS - perhaps turning it off?

4)Sometimes will not work without a reboot - can't remember the exact error but something likw wsmail.exe not a valid aplication - works fine after a reboot bunt can't access it at all until I do.

If its on a Storage Card, my guess is when you turn on the device after its gone into standby, the card probably has not been fully recognised - reboot yes would sort it.... waiting a bit longer may have also helped.

5) Everything just seems much harder work than with PO.

Go back to PO perhaps ?

6) Main reason I tried it was for HTML email support but I still get "your email client does not support HTML"

Well I have 4 POP3 accounts - all get HTML

Now I want to remove it and can't find how to!

Well if its on your card, use Add / Remove and if this fails, remove it from the list and remove from the Storage Card. Depending on whether you turned on the feature to make Flexmail your DEFAULT Email client, what should happen (after a reboot) is PO comes back to normal.

I assume you took a backup of your system though, right? In case you had to revert back? <_<

Guest Sonicr360
You mean other than just 'remove programs'? :D

P

Paul, how are you getting on with FlexMail ?? Any issues or problems on your side?

Cheers

Simon

Guest Confucious
:D

Guest Sonicr360

What about launching POUTLOOK from the Windows directory itself? or maybe, re-install the flexmail, turn OFF the option to make it the default, then:

1) close down flexmail

2) reboot

3) uninstall - remove any files on the storage card that may be present

4) reboot again.

HTH :D

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, how are you getting on with FlexMail ?? Any issues or problems on your side?

Cheers

Simon

I uninstalled it i'm afraid due to a couple of minor annoyances. Stupid things that bug me like not being able to rename 'ActiveSync' to Exchange, the folder not updating when new direct-pushed mailed arrived, and something else I can't remember.

It has potential... but it's not there for me personally yet.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Any idea how to turn OFF the option to make it default? I can't see how to.

It's in the preferences menu (if you still have it installed).

P

Guest Sonicr360
I uninstalled it i'm afraid due to a couple of minor annoyances. Stupid things that bug me like not being able to rename 'ActiveSync' to Exchange, the folder not updating when new direct-pushed mailed arrived, and something else I can't remember.

It has potential... but it's not there for me personally yet.

P

It sure does - reral shame, but looks like the notification(s) do not seem to work on XDA Exec WM5 - not sure if its device related of OS related. Push does appear to be an issue.

I still think its the better client out there, but if you really want notifications (and it does not bother me either way), may want to look elsewhere until the issue(s) are fixed.

Shame really, but I still think its a great product. just little nags may not suit all :D

Simon

Guest Sonicr360

Just to add to my reply, has anyone actually PURCHASED Flexmail 2007 rather than the trial version? I noticed the online help goes into great details about setting up the notifications.... .wondered if purchasing the product unlocks certain settings perhaps??

Simon

Guest Confucious

OK - can't find a preferences menu but did find a tab with check boxes for set as default mail client and set as default SMS client - bith of which were not checked (I didn't think I had set it as default but it is so I assumed I had)

This morning I went to use it and it said the Beta had expired so i couldn't access my mail or SMS - luckilly I have 3G so after navigating about a dozen pages I downloaded anmd installed the new cab - onnly to be told it has expired and I need to ebter a registration code.

I now can't access my mail or SMS and caan'y uninstall this virus (AKA Flexmail)

Does anyone have any idea how I can get Outlook back as my mail / SMS client?

I have emailed WebIS but as yet have no reply.

I am lost without email and SMS - HELP!

Guest Sonicr360

can I clarify something? you mentioned "Beta" - were you running the Beta version of FlexMail 2007, rather than the TRIAL version that you can download?

Did you have a full backup? If so, wonder if trying a Hard Reset (drastic I know!)

Simon

Does anyone have any idea how I can get Outlook back as my mail / SMS client?

I am lost without email and SMS - HELP!

Sounds like a job for HardResetMan! (His secret weapon is a small pointy thingy) :D

Guest Confucious

I thought I was running the Trial - it came up with Beta has expired.

I had no idea it was a beta.

Full backup? That's what I tell other people to do. I have sprite backup but domn't know when I last did one.....

A hard reset is a last resort but it looks like I might have to resort to it.

Guest Sonicr360
I thought I was running the Trial - it came up with Beta has expired.

I had no idea it was a beta.

Full backup? That's what I tell other people to do. I have sprite backup but domn't know when I last did one.....

A hard reset is a last resort but it looks like I might have to resort to it.

I have just been going through the registry, and the sad part is, webis, hardly uses it! essentially, the uninstall and then soft reset puts poutlook.lnk back to default (in other words your normal email client).

Sorry to hear of this, but it may be a Hard Reset may be the only option.

As a rule, I tend to (but not often) backup before installing trial software - although I have uninstalled the product now (as a test) and its back to the bog standard outlook.

There was no mention of BETA expired :D Sounds very bad to me though

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hang on, hang on peeps.

There is a way around this if you have uninstalled and the default hasn't reset or similar.

Install a decent explorer on the device (e.g. Resco), then rename tmail.exe to tmail.exe.old, and tmail.lnk to tmail.lnk.old (both in the \Windows directory), then soft reset.

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.