Any thoughts on a SSH app

Guest jtsaint

Guest jtsaint

When our webservers go down we get a text message so we can sort out the problem. Usually a reboot etc. Wouldnt it be great if we could log into our servers using SSH and enter the necessary commands.

Do you think this would be possible? Would there be any port access issues with GPRS/ORange?

What do you lot think?

Guest spacemonkey

For normal unprivileged apps, I'm not sure. I have a feeling that unprivileged apps might be able to access network librarys which actually do the privileged GPRS mojo. So, I would hope that an unprivileged app as you suggest could be built.

Pocket IE does support SSH so hopefully all that stuff is included in the librarys. What are you thinking? like a SSH Telnet?

Guest jtsaint

Yep exactly that - do you know the application PUTTY?

Basic a client that can connect to a server and perform command line input. It would have to be encrypted though - ie SSH

Guest jtsaint

Just downloaded a pocket pc 2002 client PockeTTY and it launched! Although the keys dont work and the screen needs a rework. Now need to find one that comes with the code!

• 1 month later...
Guest pxtigermoon

Has anyone heard any further news on this? Or even bog-standard telnet?

Just something so I can do very mission-critical things like reboot an IRCd etc. :)

heh.

P.

Guest benjymous

Well, I'm working on an irc client (and irc is basically just glorified telnet)

Currently I've only been able to get it to connect over a piggybacked cradle connection

Once I've got it working, I'll happily tidy up the source and release it in a way that'll be useful to others

Guest fraser

Don't make a telnet app! It will only encourage people to use telnet. You should be using SSH all the time, except perhaps if you connect to the serial port of a network device. That's the only time you should use telnet!

Telnet puts your login password in clear text, as well as all traffic during the session. Very easy to capture.

PuTTY is simply a telnet app that goes over the SSH protocol, much the same as SCP is RCP but over the SSH protocol - the app itself is irrelevant, it's how the traiffic gets there that's at stake.

Hence an SSH telnet app is precisely what we're after!

:)

Guest benjymous

I didn't say I was making a telnet app :)

I said I've got the basics of a telnet style protocol working, so that could be modified to support the ssh protocol instead

Guest jtsaint

I didnt get anywhere with this - i asked the guys a pocketty to do it but they woudnt. ( this app boots up but requires stylus )

I think that this could be a real killer app for this phone.

• 1 month later...