Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest Syphon Filter
I wish I understood what you're on about but er, well done anyway!

should say re-image i think.

Paul's sticking a 32bit OS on there (I assume so he can get ISA running).

Guest Paul (MVP)
are you hoping to allow msn messenger to work as i couldn't connect last night on the modaco proxy?

Yes I am, I hadn't done anything to get it working thru the MoDaCo proxy, but will do my best once I have the proper proxy in case (that was just a quick test).

Here's my current thinking:

- Provide a reliable, fast standard web proxy with caching and compression - HIGH PRIORITY

- Provide a reliable, fast SOCKS proxy - HIGH PRIORITY

- Function correctly with DirectPush - HIGH PRIORITY

- Function correctly with Windows Live Messenger (out soon) - HIGH PRIORITY

- Function correctly with Pocket MSN (soon to be replaced) - MEDIUM PRIORITY

- Provide a reliable, fast SMTP proxy - LOW PRIORITY

Finally, it will probably do some other cool stuff I haven't thought of yet :D

P

Guest andyfitter

Tried adding the test proxy details to my M3100 and it has all gone a bit wrong. It didn't seem to work, and was giving me '502' errors so I thought I'd go in to 'connections' and go back to direct connection rather than through a proxy.

However, under 'My ISP, everything has disappeared, and the only entry that is left is 'Add a new modem connection' All the existing setup has gone, including all the APN setup etc.

No big deal I thought, I'll restore the backup I made previosuly.... And it's still the same!

So... I thought I'd redefine the APNs, Orange WAP and Orange Internet... I tried, but the device complains that they are already defined, even though they aren't visible under the My ISP settings.

Any ideas what has got broken?

I could do a hard reset and go back to yesterdays backup, which I'm hoping will work, but don't really want to have to.

Andy.

Guest Paul (MVP)

:D

That's a bit weird!

Sounds like you've selected a different connection to use for your 'internet' connection.

I don't have my device to hand to check where the settings are (in network connections I think)... anyone else care to lend a hand?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

1and1 seem to only offer an automatic image for Server 2003 x64 Standard, or Server 2003 Web, no non x64 Standard.

So... After all the horror stories about 1and1...

I phoned them, got a UK person straight away (after about 2 rings), and he's loading the image I need onto the server.

Kudos! :D

P

Guest Syphon Filter
Tried adding the test proxy details to my M3100 and it has all gone a bit wrong. It didn't seem to work, and was giving me '502' errors so I thought I'd go in to 'connections' and go back to direct connection rather than through a proxy.

However, under 'My ISP, everything has disappeared, and the only entry that is left is 'Add a new modem connection' All the existing setup has gone, including all the APN setup etc.

No big deal I thought, I'll restore the backup I made previosuly.... And it's still the same!

So... I thought I'd redefine the APNs, Orange WAP and Orange Internet... I tried, but the device complains that they are already defined, even though they aren't visible under the My ISP settings.

Any ideas what has got broken?

I could do a hard reset and go back to yesterdays backup, which I'm hoping will work, but don't really want to have to.

Andy.

Dude, not sure what has happened here, take a look at the settings repository here (at MoDaCo) and re-enter you standard settings. Then follow Pauls instructions from earlier in this thread and create the new connection with the appropriate DNS and proxy settings.

1and1 seem to only offer an automatic image for Server 2003 x64 Standard, or Server 2003 Web, no non x64 Standard.

I phoned them, got a UK person straight away (after about 2 rings), and he's loading the image I need onto the server.

P

Good to hear. I am looking for a hosted exchange server for 5 users or so I'll take a look at 1and1.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Good to hear. I am looking for a hosted exchange server for 5 users or so I'll take a look at 1and1.

The base server I have just bought will be perfect for that.

If you need any help setting up, i've been there, done that (although now moved to 4smartphone, have you considered that as it's only 5 users?)

P

Guest andyfitter
:D

That's a bit weird!

Sounds like you've selected a different connection to use for your 'internet' connection.

I don't have my device to hand to check where the settings are (in network connections I think)... anyone else care to lend a hand?

P

Think I've fixed it - in connections -> advanced -> select networks it was set to 'My ISP'. By changing it to 'Orange World' it works again. Pretty sure this isn't how it used to be though :-(

Guest Syphon Filter
The base server I have just bought will be perfect for that.

If you need any help setting up, i've been there, done that (although now moved to 4smartphone, have you considered that as it's only 5 users?)

P

Cheers for the offer, I'll pocket that for when I need some help :D

I am still at the "looking into" stage so I will consider 4smartphone for sure. Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep you posted (via PM or something). Oh yeah if you have a minute P I am in the IRC channel, got something interesting/weird to talk to you about regarding Orange.

Anyway, this is way off topic. Sorry.

Guest adchaffey

P

Wow! They must have spent some of the massive wad of cash i send them every month on their customer support then!

:blink:

That's a bit weird!

P

Ok connection brilliant yesterday and back to beign as slow as Orange now with the usual "Locating..." message. So whatever config was done needs to go back lol

Guest Pandemonium
Brilliant, I finally got ISA installed without locking myself out :D

Configuring now (and coding CamerAware final changes at the same time, lol!)

P

Thought I'd give the proxy a try today, but I keep on getting asked for username and password? Isn't the username "plus" and password "proxy" still?

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's here people... first iteration of our own dedicated MoDaCo Proxy, exclusively for PLUS members! :D

We've been testing this evening, and we've pulled 4MB speed thru the proxy no problem, so HSDPA won't be maxing this baby out :D

Watch for a post in the Plus area shortly on how to receive a username and configure!

P

PS Fully working with Browsing, direct push and Windows Live Messenger. Pocket MSN Messenger seems to be down for me altogether atm, proxy or no proxy!

Guest Syphon Filter

Paul,

Is there any chance that you can set up temporary usernames/passwords that work for 24hrs from the time that you PM them to a user (say five active tops at any one time). So that we can see the difference for ourselves?

Also, what is going to happen once the server starts to get loaded up with more users?

This would be THE benefit I would sign up to Plus for. But I would need to "sample the goods" so to speak.

TIA

Syphon...