Hermes crashes far too often!

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Notes:

This is with several M3100s and a m3100 with a TTYN rom on it

My M3100 crashes regularly, and seems generally very unstable.

TomTom is a pig to get running, though once up and running it seems ok. PhonePad rarely works, and crashes seem even more regular with it running anyway.

Last week I was on holiday, used the phone daily, and charged it overnight, in the same socket etc. Each morning I awoke to find the phone had frozen, with the clock fixed at just after 8:00am every day. This seemed odd. Why the same time?!

I have a LOT of software installed, but even so, have experience crashes with only the default orange, or ttyn software on.

Are we all too in love with the device to admit its faults, or have I just been unlucky? I really don't think this is a me problem, or a orange problem - it just doesnt seem very stable.

Please note, I love the device, and won't be replacing it. Just wondered if anyone else will admit the perfect device has a few faults?

EDIT: Just to add, when it freezes, occaisionally holding the power button down (And making the "Warning, you are about to shut down" popup appear) sometimes kicks the device back into life.

Edited by MARKUKCOUK

Guest richard_d
Notes:

This is with several M3100s and a m3100 with a TTYN rom on it

My M3100 crashes regularly, and seems generally very unstable.

TomTom is a pig to get running, though once up and running it seems ok. PhonePad rarely works, and crashes seem even more regular with it running anyway.

Last week I was on holiday, used the phone daily, and charged it overnight, in the same socket etc. Each morning I awoke to find the phone had frozen, with the clock fixed at just after 8:00am every day. This seemed odd. Why the same time?!

I have a LOT of software installed, but even so, have experience crashes with only the default orange, or ttyn software on.

Are we all too in love with the device to admit its faults, or have I just been unlucky? I really don't think this is a me problem, or a orange problem - it just doesnt seem very stable.

Please note, I love the device, and won't be replacing it. Just wondered if anyone else will admit the perfect device has a few faults?

EDIT: Just to add, when it freezes, occaisionally holding the power button down (And making the "Warning, you are about to shut down" popup appear) sometimes kicks the device back into life.

Well I've had my Vario II for a week and a bit and have only had one freeze when using Opera mini (cured by a soft reset) - seems pretty stable to me, but then I was a symbian user :D

Guest hennapod

My M3100 hasn't crashed at all since I got it (on the first day it was available for telesales upgrades).

Haven't had any problems running Tomtom.

Maybe you're not unlucky, it's me being lucky?!

Yeah have to say my phone does like to freeze up.

Have to soft reset probably about ten times a day.

but i also have a lot of programs installed (although the majourity on the SD card not the main memory).

I love the phone and would not swap it but I would like a more stable and rapid device.

Tom Tom works fine for me. Normally have to soft reset to ensure it loads up fast though.

takes a long time if there are a few things on the go.

Guest Confucious

I don't have a Herpes so can't comment specifically - just thought about the time though. Isn't that the default working day start in Outlook? Might be nothing to do with it but might be worth changing it to see if it freezes at a different time.

I feel for you. I'm on my third example & it still crashes. Every morning without fail it freezes. I've done another hard reset this morning & loaded the Dopod 838Pro extended rom to see if things improve.

I nearly failed to get up for work this morning because it froze & no alarm.

I have TT5 loaded aswell but it works perfectly fine.

I'm using my Mio A701 at the moment as my main phone until I get the SPV sorted.

But like you said other than the freezing issue its a great handset & I don't really want to get rid of it. But if this freezing issue isn't sorted soon I'll have to.

Guest jimbouk

As per the other freezing thread...I would guess it is down to a third party app that is either not totally happy with WM5, poorly installed or its simply that the hermes doesn;t like having to access the storage card for certain apps when in standby?

Have you formatted your microSD in fat or fat 32?

Guest nforsans
As per the other freezing thread...I would guess it is down to a third party app that is either not totally happy with WM5, poorly installed or its simply that the hermes doesn;t like having to access the storage card for certain apps when in standby?

Have you formatted your microSD in fat or fat 32?

I've got the vario II version of the Hermes and I experience freezes only when the device is connected via Activesync while copying big files from the PC to the micro-SD card (1Gb). It happened a couple of times over the weekend - as if the problem came from the Storage card, as opposed to the device itself.

Occasional lockups on one handset with nothing installed on it and none on the one I have loaded with software. Go figure. To be fair early adopters normally have to put up with a few bugs and my Vario II's seem to have a LOT less than other devices I have had.

Guest Pondrew

No lockups with my MDA Vario II at all yet although only had it a few days and not having a Micro SD yet I've yet to install anything more then SOTI Pocket Controller, SBH Pocket Weather and Windows Live Mobile (all three installed directly onto the device).

Makes me a little concerned that once I receive the Micro SD it may reveal problems be they with apps running from the card or transferring data to the card...

...still haven't got rid of my MDA Compact II yet. Think I might hold on for a short time to be sure I don't lose the two main uses of my Pocket PC (as a sat nav through TomTom and as a music player). Would be sorry to say goodbye to the high speed data though if I had to revert to the HTC Charmer...

I probably do 3-6 soft resets a day - I've had the Vario II for 4 days. As an early adopter, this is a price I am more than willing to pay for a device this good... ironically the hw keyboard has just frozen halfway through this post, so another reset is required... I had an MDA III as my first windows phone, and then an MDA Pro... this is by far the best device I have used.

Guest jimbouk

Two soft resets in three weeks, SPB Pocketplus, snake skin, opera, copilot, windows live mobile, orange security, resco reg and file explorer, wireless today, aku23 clock,

Some but not all on microsd card.

This is about my seventh wm device and the most robust from new.

Guest jimbouk
Thinking about it, the one that is crashing has an SD card in it. Any way to format it?

Some of the addons like spb pocket plus let you format cards in the device. I recommend using fat rather than fat 32 format for these devices.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Some of the addons like spb pocket plus let you format cards in the device. I recommend using fat rather than fat 32 format for these devices.

any reason why?

when i say crash btw, i mean soft resets fix it, but usual i lose the latest smss etc

Guest jimbouk

I had some problems with my microsd card not being recognised and have read here and elsewhere that some users are having issues with fat32 formatted cards.

I formatted with FAT and havent had a problem since.

Does the Vario II come with any way of formatting the card by default? I take it file explorer doesn't do it? Maybe I will try and find a card reader. Can you format to FAT using Windows???

Guest Confucious

One point with card readers - most don't seem to read large cards, my multi card reader read my 1Gb SD card no problem but would not read my 4Gb SD card. I

No lockups with my MDA Vario II at all yet although only had it a few days and not having a Micro SD yet I've yet to install anything more then SOTI Pocket Controller, SBH Pocket Weather and Windows Live Mobile (all three installed directly onto the device).

Makes me a little concerned that once I receive the Micro SD it may reveal problems be they with apps running from the card or transferring data to the card...

This is interesting, I never thought about it, but the connection with me buying an using my 1GB MicroSD card could be connected with the beginning of it being unstable.

I've got my pop3 mail set to save attachments on the storage card, camera photos default to being stored there too.

Will have to backup the data and then give it a format to FAT. Has anybody else done the card format and seen an improvement?