Orange SPV3100 as a modem on a laptop with 3G?

Guest amshowman

Guest amshowman

Hi,

I'm probably going to get an Orange SPV M3100 and I was wondering about the 'wireless modem' option on the phone. If I was using this with my laptop (via USB) can I use the phone's 3G connection, or is it limited to GPRS?

Thanks for any help,

Andrew

Hi,

I'm probably going to get an Orange SPV M3100 and I was wondering about the 'wireless modem' option on the phone. If I was using this with my laptop (via USB) can I use the phone's 3G connection, or is it limited to GPRS?

Thanks for any help,

Andrew

Should be fine, the speed doesn't bottleneck anywhere "this" side of the handset.

I'm hopefully setting mine up like Laptop > BT > M3100 > 3G, which should be good fun!

Not set up any handsets as a modem yet, but so far ASync 4 is looking decent (now I've got a WM5 device, anyway :D)

Guest amshowman

Thanks for your reply. Having failed miserably trying to connect an old SPV phone to a laptop for use as a modem, I think I'll try it connected by USB, rather than avoiding further complications with Bluetooth. I hope there will be a good guide with the Orange phone on how to us it as a modem.

Thanks for your reply. Having failed miserably trying to connect an old SPV phone to a laptop for use as a modem, I think I'll try it connected by USB, rather than avoiding further complications with Bluetooth. I hope there will be a good guide with the Orange phone on how to us it as a modem.

No prob. I also failed with those devices. I have been greatly encouraged by the improvements in Bluetooth 2.0 and WM5/ASync4 though. No, really.

Orange don't know their collective arse from their elbow. There's stuff out there on t'internet.

I will be trying this myself later today most likely as my bandwidth was just added, so I will post findings in a new thread and link across to that from here. If you're lucky... :D

I'm not sure what's going on with this.

I've got the modem to connect thru USB. But weird stuff is happening. Images that aren't cached are appearing on the screen completely different to how they appear normally. Grey-ish. Off. Naff, basically. A forced refresh has seemed to fix that (just thought of it half way through that sentence) but still weird.

Are Orange forcing stuff through a proxy? Also my own website (which I can't imagine anyone connecting to) had the same problem. I can't think why they'd want to downgrade the image quality, or indeed how it would be achieved?

I've spent quite a lot of time on this, but I won't post any more until I've fixed it so I can connect thru both USB and Bluetooth. I think despite the fact that Bluetooth uses more power, and similarly is not charging simultaneously from USB power, it is much more convenient in terms of use, as there's no wires, disabling/re-enabling of ASync ports, etc. Although I could be wrong, as I've not fixed the damn thing yet.

More on this later as promised.

I can't think why they'd want to downgrade the image quality, or indeed how it would be achieved?

Somebody else reported this very thing recently, although I thought they said they found it on TMob. Can't lay my hands on the link at the mo, but basically if they downloaded an image off t'internet on the phone they synced it to their PC it was much lower res than the 'same' image downloaded onto the PC.

Somebody else reported this very thing recently, although I thought they said they found it on TMob. Can't lay my hands on the link at the mo, but basically if they downloaded an image off t'internet on the phone they synced it to their PC it was much lower res than the 'same' image downloaded onto the PC.

Yeah, I was actually referring to when I use the phone as a passthru modem for the PC though?

The images on the PC screen are the problem?! Force refresh works, like I said, but it's still weird.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest amshowman

After much fiddling with the settings I've managed to get my phone to work as a modem for my laptop through a USB connection. It's a pretty quick connection, just a shame Orange don't have any cheap data packages.

• 2 weeks later...
After much fiddling with the settings I've managed to get my phone to work as a modem for my laptop through a USB connection. It's a pretty quick connection, just a shame Orange don't have any cheap data packages.

Are these settings on Modaco anywhere?

Are these settings on Modaco anywhere?

I'm writing a guide for this. I didn't want to post it anywhere until I had worked out how to get it to connect thru bluetooth as well, though.

Which, frankly, is a total horse's ass.

I'm writing a guide for this. I didn't want to post it anywhere until I had worked out how to get it to connect thru bluetooth as well, though.

Here's a quick guide for using your handset as a modem via USB - http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=245798&hl=

It's the same for BT really, pair the devices, ensure you install a BT modem via Dial-up Networking, and off you go!

Here's a quick guide for using your handset as a modem via USB - http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=245798&hl=

It's the same for BT really, pair the devices, ensure you install a BT modem via Dial-up Networking, and off you go!

Aaah. I have had the USB connection working, but not the BT. Having rechecked the article you pointed at (and not long ago being FINALLY made aware of where the connection string sits) I notice it says case sensitive.

I had so far gotten away with it by setting the APN in the Wireless Modem app, but this seems to fail for BT. [edit: I haven't been back and tried this yet but -> ]

Is there any requirement to check incoming/outgoing ports in the BT Configuration (a la ASync via BT)?

Edited by NikLP

Great, I'll hang fire for your guide :(

Cheers :rolleyes:

Great, I'll hang fire for your guide :)

Cheers :(

Seems unlikely it will be this week... Maybe I will just get and write a USB only guide and do the other one another time then.

Would it be really awful of me not to include screenshots? :rolleyes:

Seems unlikely it will be this week... Maybe I will just get and write a USB only guide and do the other one another time then.

Would it be really awful of me not to include screenshots? :rolleyes:

USB guide will be just fine...for the time-being :)

Screen shots, of course, would be a bonus :(

Seriously, text instructions would be fine!

Is 230.4 kbps the fastest connection speed I can get on my laptop using the M3100 as a modem?

Boo! is there any point me doing it any more?

You can't look for much more than 30KB/s until Orange get PDASNADPAPSD installed and running I don't think dude.

Guest SteelyDan

I've found that USB is much faster than BT. I know it's not 100% accurate but I got 2.1Mbit on the bandwidthplace speed test the other day (T-Mobile WnW pro).

I've also experienced the degraded image quality issue - perhaps a transparent proxy scaling the images for PDA sized screens to reduce traffic?

I've found that USB is much faster than BT. I know it's not 100% accurate but I got 2.1Mbit on the bandwidthplace speed test the other day (T-Mobile WnW pro).

I've also experienced the degraded image quality issue - perhaps a transparent proxy scaling the images for PDA sized screens to reduce traffic?

There's little point in using BT unless it's really inconvenient to have the cable present anyway, eh? Also I would never expect BT to exactly match the tech specs (in any case) as it's just a bit crap all round isn't it, let's face it?

The proxy idea would be the only reasonable rationale as far I'm concerned (unless someone has a cleverer idea), it's not too bad, but it would be better if we could switch it off somehow.

Note though - If you force-refresh the page it removes the proxy's cache of the image files. Also, it won't affect any images that are already cached.

Boo! is there any point me doing it any more?

I found the instructions while browsing so thought I'd save you the trouble of writing it up from scratch :rolleyes: