MicroSD card hanging phone?

Guest andy_martin77

Guest andy_martin77

I've just took delivery of my Kingston 1GB MicroSD card and all is not going well.

Using TomTom on it causes the entire phone to hang. This can happen in various places, there seems to be no real pattern to it. It can hang when running the initial config screens or if I manage to get passed them it will always hang when trying to enter a street/city name. Normally I can get a few characters in to typing the name and then it will freeze. Only a soft reset will bring it back.

I've tried formatting the card on the PC as FAT and FAT32 but neither seem to improve things.

Anyone else had issues with reading from MicroSD cards hanging their phone? - up until now the phones been rock solid

BTW: It's a SPV M3100. Nothing else is installed - it's just been hard reset

EDIT: > Reading a bit further on this site it's starting to sound like I'm not the only one with problems with MicroSD. Can anyone confirm a 1GB card works ok with TomTom5? I really need to get my GPS working for next week and don't like the idea of going back to reading maps!

Edited by andy_martin77

Guest nforsans
Mine freezes when I transfer files from the computer to the Vario II's 1GB microSD card while connected via Activesync. It does not freeze otherwise.

Could it be the storage card?

I've got definitely a problem with my microSD card -I suppose that's what it is: When I transfer big files to my SD card while connected via Active sync the phone freezes and all I can do is a soft reset.

I've got definitely a problem with my microSD card -I suppose that's what it is: When I transfer big files to my SD card while connected via Active sync the phone freezes and all I can do is a soft reset.

I am beginning to suspect that the miniSD is crashing one of my phones. Connected via Activesync I had to forcibly close explorer windows on my laptop about 10 times trying to copy some photos off the storage card. I have removed it now and think this is definitely something that needs looking at in any ROM updates.

Guest nforsans
I am beginning to suspect that the miniSD is crashing one of my phones. Connected via Activesync I had to forcibly close explorer windows on my laptop about 10 times trying to copy some photos off the storage card. I have removed it now and think this is definitely something that needs looking at in any ROM updates.

has anybody else got any problem when copying music/pic files from desktop to SD card via Activesync?

And do we know why it happens?

I've just took delivery of my Kingston 1GB MicroSD card and all is not going well.

Using TomTom on it causes the entire phone to hang. This can happen in various places, there seems to be no real pattern to it. It can hang when running the initial config screens or if I manage to get passed them it will always hang when trying to enter a street/city name. Normally I can get a few characters in to typing the name and then it will freeze. Only a soft reset will bring it back.

I've tried formatting the card on the PC as FAT and FAT32 but neither seem to improve things.

Anyone else had issues with reading from MicroSD cards hanging their phone? - up until now the phones been rock solid

EDIT: > Reading a bit further on this site it's starting to sound like I'm not the only one with problems with MicroSD. Can anyone confirm a 1GB card works ok with TomTom5? I really need to get my GPS working for next week and don't like the idea of going back to reading maps!

I have a SPV M3100 running TomTom 5.21 with a 2Gb Micro card and I haven't experienced any problems at all.

Guest andy_martin77
I have a SPV M3100 running TomTom 5.21 with a 2Gb Micro card and I haven't experienced any problems at all.

Can I ask which brand and where from? I need to order another compatible one asap.

Cheers,

Andy.

ive got a varioII with a 2gb microsd from mobymemory i think its a sandisk and have not experienced any crashes.

the only time the card does something funny is when i take it out when the phone is still on. I have lots of programs installed on the memory card so they dont work for ages when i put it back in. Ive solved this by turning the vario II OFF (ie fully off not just the phone part etc etc) then take out my card do my stuff put it back in and then re switch on the phone. this seemed to solve all my problems to do with programs on the memory card acting strange after id taken out and reinserted the card. (basically ive lost hotswap abilities but thats ok as i only have one MicroSD and the only time i take it out is to copy stuff to it from my card reader as its quicker that way rather than using activesync)

other than that though not experienced a single hang with the card.

JEREMY

have you tried reformatting it using FAT and not FAT32 ive read elsewhere that this seems to solve most problems.

Sandisk are good so it shouldnt be the card

JEREMY

Edited by Guest

have you tried reformatting it using FAT and not FAT32 ive read elsewhere that this seems to solve most problem.

Sandisk are good so it shouldnt be the card

JEREMY

Just reformatted my Sandisk 512Mb to FAT and inserted it into my other, non-crashing, Vario II, so I will see if this helps my crashing phone or kills my stable one.

Sandisk 1GB, no problems here.

Although I would advise anyone copying lots of files or large files frequently to use a card reader instead - for the sake of time and to avoid issues with ASync.

Guest Trancemaster

I've had problems with copying files from my 1Gb Toshiba Micro SD in the phone to my PC in that it gets about halfway and then drops the connection. I just put it down to Active Sync being absolutely shite. Other than that, its fine, though I haven't tried installing Tom Tom yet, I still use my M2000 for GPS as the screen is bigger.

Guest billybear

I've got a Vario II with sandisk 2GB micro card, from mobymemory, and run Tomtom 5.21 with no problem & have transferred & played MP3 files (about 7 hrs on same charge!) also no problems. I play them with TCPMP (new name for Betaplayer). I think I used a multi reader for most of the file tranfers as its quicker. Did have a problem getting Tomtom to work initially as I just copied it off my MDA compact SD card. solved by loading update on top and the reactivating. no problems since. touch wood. have also downloaded a podcast to card and played no problem.

Guest nforsans

Same problem as Transcemaster's - the problem is not about accessing files or programmes stored on the storage card, but when transferring (copyin g/pasting) files from the PC to the SCard via Activesync.

When I run progarmmes / access files located on the card from the Vario II, i have nbo problem at all - evrything works fine and the device does not hang. It does however when accessing the card via Activesync on the pc.

Hi Andy, I get the same problem with my sandisk 1gb micro SD. I've worked out how to get past it, but not what causes it.

When the phone locks, hold the power button until you get the warning about losing unsaved data. Choose "No" to cancel the shutdown and Tomtom works fine again.

Would love to know why though!!

Guest andy_martin77
Hi Andy, I get the same problem with my sandisk 1gb micro SD. I've worked out how to get past it, but not what causes it.

When the phone locks, hold the power button until you get the warning about losing unsaved data. Choose "No" to cancel the shutdown and Tomtom works fine again.

Would love to know why though!!

That's weird! - Thanks for the tip though. I'll give it a go and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly enough when I pull the card out without closing all the files, and I reinsert the card, subsequent SAVEs will corrupt the file...

If I pull out the card while the phone is on, File Explorer and Excel etc still think the card is there and I can browse it! Just not open any files.... almost like it's cached the file listing or something.

Annoying! Almost lost an important file.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FatGaffa
Yep spot on that fixes it. Cheers.

Now just to find out why?

I have a SanDisK 1 Mb card and am experiencing the same random freezing in TomTom 5.21.

I have found that if you press the Windows start button once the TomTom software responds again. Not a perfect solution so I think I will try a new Micro SD card.

Keep me posted if you find a permanent solution.

Is there a Rom update anywhere for the Vario 2 ?

Regards

FatGaffa