Compatible GPS receiver

Guest Dr Who

Don't have a scooby about GPS, not one thing! Want to give it a whizz now I have my Vario II but want a bit of advice. Firstly, being a total cheapskate, I want to pay as little as possible, but of course I want one that is compatible with the Hermes and will work! I had assumed a wired receiver would be cheaper but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth and more expensive than a BT version. I can also imagine that having that connected to the Vario is going to suck the life out of it and with no way of charging it at the same time..........

So any advice is welcome.

I've used both Socket and Belkin Bluetooth gps's on my phone (and TomTom) works really well and means you can fix it close to the windscreen, etc when using in a car.

Wired ones tend to drain the battery of the phone really quickly as they are powered by the phone.

I've got a mate whose selling off some Belkins really cheap at http://www.demachina.com/

Elliot

Guest jimbouk

As you will need the software too (and as software piracy is a crime), you could just do what I did. A complete copilot live 6 package (inc software, maps for one country, bt gps receiver, car charger with y splitter so you can charge the gps and the phone simultaneously) for

As you will need the software too (and as software piracy is a crime), you could just do what I did. A complete copilot live 6 package (inc software, maps for one country, bt gps receiver, car charger with y splitter so you can charge the gps and the phone simultaneously) for

Guest zoidster

I love Copilot - I wouldn't have bought it by choice - but got it on an amazing deal from t-mobile (it was a mistake I think..I got the Vario, which at the time was pretty new & as sought after as the Vario II is now , C/w copilot - FREE on their lowest tariff at the time !!! yuk yuk ! - a few of us on XDA developers managed to get it , then the following day it went up to about

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm using iGO on my Hermes, and I LOVE it!

My advice:

- Buy iGo

- Buy a GPS unit seperately

I use this GPS:

http://www.semsons.com/roybluegmobd.html

which I love. It's cheap, well built, reliable, and functions as a stand alone data logger. Great for when you want to map trips without running down your PDA (or in situations like snowboarding where there's a danger of damage to a PDA), leave it in your car when it goes for a service and see where they've been etc :D

The only problem you might have is finding somewhere to buy iGo! I don't think there is a UK distributor yet (i'll double check)... more details on iGo at http://www.i-Go.com

P

Guest Trancemaster

I have a wired GPS receiver for my M2000. It doesn't drain the battery as it is powered from the in-car 12v socket, instead it actually charges the phone at the same time as powering the receiver! Only problem now is that the plug on the end is incompatible with my M3100 so it looks like a BT one is the only way to go.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
I've just got one of these today from blueunplugged. Same price as Mobilefun but I've had several bad dealings with MF so I refuse to use them anymore.

Anyway, I cannot get a thing from this GPS rec. I pair it up okay (although it always leaves the ? icon next to it in BT the device list) but I can't get anything to see it as a receiver. I'm using the demo of GPSDash and it's getting nothing. Do I need to do anything beyond selecting the serial port option in the device settings?

Sorry for not replying earlier.

The ? in the bluetooth screen is just to say its an unknown device. Or rather its not one of the bluetooth device options spec... printer/phone/pda/computer/etc. Its not meant to change.

What problems did you have with MobileFun? Ive never had a problem, although according to a mate they have been known to lie about stock levels....