Paul's current favourite COMMERCIAL Hermes software...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest richard_d
Since advice after my last post, I did a hard reset, installed Spb diary, weather and plus and all is running well on my machine. No slow downs, or any other hitches.

I think that I must have just been unlucky with my original install, everything is great now, and I can highly recommend this software. I haven't installed time though, on my previous machine I installed it in an attempt to correct my alarm problem, touch wood, I now no longer have an alarm problem since installing checknotifications and using it every day.

They need installing in main memory rather than on the storage card. I found Pocket Plus slightly slowed things - mainly loading the today screen but it wasn't bad. I tried SPB Diary, and whilst it was excelent, I don't use the PIM functions enough to warrant it. I haven't tried SPB Time yet. SPB AirIslands is worryingly addictive btw...

Richard

• 1 month later...
iGo 2006 - IMHO the ultimate Pocket PC sat nav app, no UK supplier yet though :) - www.i-go.com/en/

Can I ask why you think iGo is better than Tom Tom? I have only used Tom Tom and not iGo so I would be interested in why you think I should swap?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MikeWard1701

I too would recommend the Spb apps, having a bit of alarm trouble atm though.

Seems that since I installed either Spb Diary/Time my alarms (set up in WM clock) don't sound with their specified sounds but use the default reminder sound instead. Though I could just transfer them into Time.

Might try a hard reset to fix it.

For those of you who are trialing or considering Spb Pocket Plus, Diary, Time, and/or Weather. All 4 are now available as the Spb Today Suite, at a reduced price too.

I'm reltively new to putting extra software on my PocketPCs, with My MDA Compact I only used what was on it and what came on the T-Mo CDs.

But the Vario II is a different type of beast and should be used accordingly.

• 1 month later...
Guest fraktal

iGO GPS software:

maybe I'm wrong but I had a browse around the iGO site, and they all seem to be on miniSD cards. The Hermes has only a MicroSD slot...?

• 4 weeks later...

I would also recommend SBSH products, mainly PocketBreeze that now also handles contacts and calling them directly from the Today screen. This is a soft that I first always install on my PDs (or after a HR).

I also recommend POcketFitaly that is my prefereed SIP on PPC. It has some problems to become the default SIP but I will try some software solutions that are actually proposed on the forums).

For a light but efficient alarm clock, I would recommend Chronos wich is perfectly reliable on my TyTN.

I am an (not very) old fan of the HP calculators and I love Lygea's HP 15C emulation on PPC.

Of course Textmaker is a very nice full-fledged word processor (I do not really use planMaker on my TyTN).

To finish, Sprite backup does perfectly what it is supposed to do : allow me to make full and scheduled backups on my MicroSD card.

Thanks a lot for this list and also the freewares one, on the other post!

Best regards,

• 1 month later...
Guest Wildfire
Can I ask why you think iGo is better than Tom Tom? I have only used Tom Tom and not iGo so I would be interested in why you think I should swap?

I managed to get a trial copy of Igo to try on my M3100.

I have used Tom Tom for many years now both in standalone and on the M5000, i am very used to the UI and its functionality, it has its shortcomings, but on the whole its not a bad piece of software.

The Igo is very different to Tom Tom, the UI has many levels, it it less of a pictorial menu structure.

The map display has a lot more detail, it has a lot of handy features such as auto night setting (based on sundown time), over speed warning.

the Igo doesnt look to have a postcde search facility, i found this a bit of a drawback, some of the destination search was a bit out of sync when compared to Tom Toms intuitive way.

The map itself is smaller with the Igo, the info bar does take up a lot of space, but then whilst on the move you shouldnt really need to be looking at the map.

Verbal instruction is a lot better with the Igo, a lot more in time and through, i found it a lot harder to misunderstand what it was telling me, some of Tom Toms insructions car a bit vague at time.

The map is a LOT more up to date than Tom Tom, i find that most irratble thing about Tom Tom, they are soooo behind with up to date mapping.

Overall i would choose the Igo over the Tom tom, especially if you travel in Europe a lot, it does take a bit of getting used to but it has more fo a fluid motion to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you get igo for the UK? If so, where from?

You can...ahem...use a certain filesharing network (name omitted to protect the innocent) like I did and it is good but not without it's problems. Switched back to TomTom after one journey!

• 3 months later...
Guest Elwyn 3100

There is quite a raft of GPS software out there as well, I'm not sure what you've tried but I've had a go with a few that give you GPS information rather than Sat Nav :)

With my work I get to travel a lot, but I already have quite a good directional sense and use maps a lot more than the SatNav (Navigon Navigator 5). I tend to use SN merely for navigating at the other end (the complicated bit) or driving through new cities and the like. Oh. And London B)

Anyway, so, yeah. GPS Software.

GPS Tuner (Megalith Software)

This shows a whole raft of information that it can collect from the GPS. Satellite information, direction, Altitude. Deal with waypoints, tracks, routes and you can load you're own maps as well. (Commercial Software).

GPS Viewer (Free/Limited Access)

I think this is some basic diagnostic software for the Holux GPS receiver. I 'found' it online somewhere after I bought a Holux receiver of ebay that turned out to be a Holox! Oops.

Anyway, it gives you're basic GPS info. This has the added ability that you can "scan" for a GPS port, or select one manually. Under GPS Status it lists the actual satellite information, date, time, lat, long and DOP. Lower down it has you're direction, speed, altitude and PDop. Basic diagnostic info is good enough for it, but although it's installed it doesn't use much memory and isn't used much for other.

GPS Dash (Commercial)

This is an amazing bit of software and I totally love it! Had a few issues with crashing a while back, usually after it's been on for a 12 hour day of driving and stuff, but I think that was user error :/

When you start it looks like a bunch of car speedo's. You've got an amazing chose of what you want in those little dials. 5 small dials and one large one, it has a day and night scheme and comes preinstalled with "profiles".

You can also manage routes, waypoints, charts, maps as well as see the raw GPS data. Tap on a "dial" and you can see that one in full screen. Each of the dials can show the following:

Speed, Accelleration, Milage, Altitude, Ascent Rate, Altitude Gain, DPos (Current, Max, Min, Average)

Navigation (Heading, Distance, ETA), Time (Local, UTC), Reception (SigQual, SatID).

Maspware GPSMeterPE (Commercial).

This is a new bit of software I've not tried out yet but looks promising :P Looks like it has full screen capabilities too...

Memory Map (Commercial)

You might have heard of this already. It gives you an OS map to follow on the screen. If you want to know where you are with OS type acuracy then this is the software for you ;) But it is pricey. I think mapping for the entire country is about £900 !!!!! I've got West Midlands and Wales :D

As for other "Commerical" software I've also got PocketIRC which seems a lot easier to use than WMIRC. Alas can only use one server at a time but for the time being this is ok for me :D

This is now where you tell me I've posted in the wrong place B)

Guest Elwyn 3100

Likewise, I have used TomTom (and it's grandfather on the Psion!) and prefer my own SatNav software. This is down to personal preference in a way as everyone has their own choices, as I'm sure you know :) :P

TT is a bit restrictive for me. Although you can use full postcodes this rarely works for me as my employer rarely gets the right postcode for the job anyway. Also I drive something a bit larger and slower than a car, so it is an added benefit that I can instruct the SatNav software that I'm driving a "lorry" and not to take me down some narrow small road just to take "5 minutes" off a journey!

However, if you come back down to it, it's not always the best plan to just blindly follow the sat nav! You'll probably think of me as prehistoric but I always carry a map with me anyway and often like to know where I am rather than just follow the satnav...

Before you say "TT for everyone, everything else is rubbish", try it and see with an open mind ;) :D

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I've also started using IGo as well.

The map data is identical to TomTom I.E. if TomTom says take the third exit and there are only two then IGo does exactly the same :) and you can get just the UK map with full postcode support.

I agree with Wildfire as I can customise IGo much more than TomTom allows you to and I feel that its voice capabilities are far superior to TomTom also IGo has specific safety camera support rather than a general POI warning system which ignores cameras which are facing away from you :P

Guest mdhensley5
Gotta Have Wisbar advance 2 and wisbar desktop, makes the hermes look even slicker....I know.... i didnt think it was possible either.

I also got Worms World Party and its a stroke of genius

Yeah, I love WAD. It's like having a new phone every week. :)

Guest Elwyn 3100
CoPilot 7 is better than TomTom anyway IMHO

What do you use Elwyn?

:) :P Navigon Navigator 5 ;) :D

I know it's 2005 but it works for me and I can't yet afford a new copy. If they updated the maps and not the software I think I'd manage but the last time I checked V6 doesn't work too well with my phone B) B) But I like it :D