Using Vario II 3G as modem for laptop via wifi

Guest guffest

Hi,

I have recently got the Vario II and WnW Pro. However my laptop doesn't have bluetooth built in.

Is it possible to use the phone as a modem, either via the USB cable, or preferably over wifi?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have recently got the Vario II and WnW Pro. However my laptop doesn't have bluetooth built in.

Is it possible to use the phone as a modem, either via the USB cable, or preferably over wifi?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

i'm not sure if this is possible over WiFi - i very, very much doubt it though!

:D

Via USB = a piece of cake.

You'll need to grab the USBMDM drivers from somewhere first though.. i do not have them to hand!

Once you have those drivers, plug the USB into device, and then into PC. It will then look for the appropriate drivers. Direct Windows to where you have stored the USBMDM driver, and they shall be automatically installed.

If you have already introduced your device to your computer via USB, within Device Manager you should be able to update drivers. Once again point to where you saved the USBMDM drivers on your computer.

If that fails uninstall the hardware within device manger, and start again!

When the modem is installed, go to (on PC) -

Start, Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options

Select the Modems tab

In here you shall see the modem installed on a Com port

Highlight the modem and go to properties

Select the advanced tab. Here you can enter an "initilization command"

Type in - at+cgdcont=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk" (this IS CaSe specfic)

For anyone else reading who isnt on T-Mo, simply replace general.t-mobile.uk with your networks APN

Click on OK, and OK

Set up the connection -

In the Control Panel open Network Connections

Create a new connection

Within the Wizard -

Connect to the Internet

Set up my Connection Manually

Connect Using a Dial-up modem

Check the USB Modem on Com x and uncheck any others

ISP = [a friendly name]

Dial = *99#

Username = user

Password = pass

Uncheck to two boxes in here

Create a shortcut on your deskptop

Dial

You are now connected

Easy

Here is the driver -

USBMDM.zip

Edited by yrreP

• 5 weeks later...
Guest impossible

Im trying to get this working on my vario2 but im getting a error of 720 when trying to dial.

The status boxes in wmodem (on the ppc) all light up then all go out after the pc says "registering your computer on the network"

Ideas?

Imp

• 3 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

You'll need to grab the USBMDM drivers from somewhere first though.. i do not have them to hand!

Once you have those drivers, plug the USB into device, and then into PC. It will then look for the appropriate drivers. Direct Windows to where you have stored the USBMDM driver, and they shall be automatically installed.

If you have already introduced your device to your computer via USB, within Device Manager you should be able to update drivers. Once again point to where you saved the USBMDM drivers on your computer.

Select the Modems tab

For anyone else reading who isnt on T-Mo, simply replace general.t-mobile.uk with your networks APN

Click on OK, and OK

Set up the connection -

Create a new connection

Within the Wizard -

Connect to the Internet

ISP = [a friendly name]

Dial = *99#

Username = user

Password = pass

Dial

You are now connected

Easy

:(

Here is the driver -

USBMDM.zip

My NTL is down managed to use your guide via me Vario, I am now logon via my laptop 2 usb 2 vario II. Thanks for a excellent post.

your a STAR ......

Just concerened that T-mobile may say something about using it as a modem, am currently only using HTTP and POP3 traffic so I think il be ok, am on standard web and talk 7.50 a month.

speedtest show just under 1.5Mbps so am quite pleased

And I try this and get error message 680 - There was no dial tone...

Any ideas please?

Make sure the correct modem is being used.

In network connections right click on the connection you created, go to properties. In here you will see the modem your connection is using...

Guest emyllis

well I get error 619 now:

Error 619 - A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed.

- the lights flash until it tries to register me to the network...

If i repeat the process without restarting VModem, I Get error 680 now...

Any more ideas please? I'd love it to use this as a modem when i'm out and about.

CHeers

Guest emyllis
well I get error 619 now:

Error 619 - A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed.

- the lights flash until it tries to register me to the network...

If i repeat the process without restarting VModem, I Get error 680 now...

Any more ideas please? I'd love it to use this as a modem when i'm out and about.

CHeers

Resolved:

Changed the APN: to general.t-mobile.uk rather than internet.

Problem solved.

Phew!

And am now replying to you on this network rather than using my wifi.

Cool eh.

• 2 months later...
Guest puccaso

how do u get such a fast speed??

i got a usb2 hub (built into the xps laptop) and i just get a 243k connection

but fek that

my downloads are like 5k!!!!

i mean

i know for sur ethe modem is working

but it only connects with the gprs icon

i want it to connect with the 3g icon!! *(obviously that must meen something?)*

i mean the dude above said he's getting 1mb+ connection

and i read else where

the guy said he gets 40k downloads! I WISSSH..

how do i make this work??/

theres like no point of me having this phone if i cant ge tthis fast speed.

Guest Christopher Woods

Well can you get 3G connectivity normally? If so, it sounds like you might be dialing up to a regular ISP with the phone instead of using its inbuilt GPRS/3G connection - which will cost you extra as you're just using it like a regular modem!

I set my Vario 2 up slightly differently... I use the Wireless Modem utility, making sure that ActiveSync is closed. I set the APN in the WModem software with general.t-mobile.uk , Start the service up (and it makes the ActiveSync disconnected sound), hook it up to the phone of course!

When I first did this, I made a new dial-up connection and made sure I use the HTC USB Modem, NOT my laptop's "HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP", because then it tries to act like an old-skool cellular modem and cost me money, no thanks :D It won't work anyway, and just gives an error message if I use the *99# method to tell the phone to use its internal data connection. I must note at this point that the HDAUDIO softmodem is specific to my laptop (and its crap Realtek HD Audio inbuilt soundcard).

Unless I disable the HDAUDIO device in Control Panel, it always tries to associate itself with the dial-up connection whenever you unplug the phone (also because the HTC USB Modem entry disappears by default when you don't have it plugged in, but reassociates itsself when I disable the HDAUDIO Smart Modem entry).

Anway, most people shouldn't be affected by that - but it's something to check if, like me, you use your laptop to dial up sometimes.

One other thing to note - I use the T-Mobile default user and pass to authenticate my dial-up connection when it connects - it might not matter, but it seems to do whenever I dial up. I use "tmobile" as the username and "one2one" as the password, and it connects fine. I think user and pass work ok too, but last time I tried to dial up I left it empty as an experiment and it wouldn't have it.

Sometimes if I start the Wireless Modem software up and hook the phone up via USB, it picks it up ok but because I already have a data connection due to my push mail, I have to hit the hang up button on the phone a few times for it to drop the data connection (and then hit it again when it tries to automatically redial) before the computer can successfully make its own data connection. Aside from that and doublechecking the connection is using the right modem, it works flawlessly (when it connects!) I also get my 3G HSDPA speeds when I'm in an area of Brum with good enough coverage, which is nice :)

Guest elhornet

Ok found out how, and successfully did it. But all I can find is instructions on how to do it over Bluetooth, which is always slower. It's horrendously slow at the moment with 2 bars network coverage.

Does anyone know how to do it under OSX with a usb cable?

I have Missing Sync installed if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest yrreP
does anyone know if the above will work in vista?

thanks Steve

Yes it will, it is just that Network Connections is now called Network Sharing (or something similar). Other than that, it is identical.

Guest joepubli
I got awesome speeds over USB - over 1Mb/s (megabit).

Over Bluetooth it was kinda lame - much slower

g

How do you get 1Mb - the max mine says is 240k with usb. I checked properties and the max speed I can select there is 240k. Is there a new driver which allows faster speed?

Many thanks

Joe

• 1 month later...
Guest CryBayBee
Yes it will, it is just that Network Connections is now called Network Sharing (or something similar). Other than that, it is identical.

The modem software was not recognised in Vista, how did you manage to get this to work?

Guest yrreP

Hmm, it should be basically as above. I suppose the only possible problem is if you are using x64-bit Vista... this requires signed drivers from M$.

But... i think someone on XDA has managed to sort that already?

Anyroads, what method do you follow? Something that you will need to do (that is not necessarily mentioned above), is to start the Wireless Modem in Programmes. The should jolt the Modem to become recognised by Vista and therefore install...

If this does not solve it, can you tell me does happen?

--

-

Here they are - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...vista+modem+usb

Should do the trick.

USB_MODEM_VISTA64.ZIP

USB_MODEM_VISTA.ZIP

Edited by yrreP

Guest olearys

;)

Select the Modems tab

Click on OK, and OK

Set up the connection -

Create a new connection

Within the Wizard -

Connect to the Internet

ISP = [a friendly name]

Dial = *99#

Username = user

Password = pass

Dial

You are now connected

Easy

Here is the driver -

USBMDM.zip

Hello

I am trying to use my M3100 as a modem via USB. I have used your instructions above but I cannot get the HTC modem to install. When I connect the USB cable I get a little beep as if a new Plug and play device has been added but then nothing.

I have tried to install a new modem but it doesn't find it. I point it to the USBMDM file but it doesn't allow me to continue with the instalation.

I am not very technical so have no idea where I am going wrong

Please help

Sean

Guest yrreP

Hi,

You may need to start the Wireless Modem. Tap on Start, Programs, Wireless Modem. Start the USB Modem, and plug device into computer. This should jolt the USB Modem into becoming recognised.

Guest olearys

it's fixed now.

the modem was mysteriously appearing as a serial device on the device manager. I had to reinstall this device using the USB modem driver.

All the good now

thanks

Edited by olearys

Guest aqualand

I have the same problem as Olearys. I've disabled USB connections within activesync, started up the wireless modem, setup the APN (this is for tmobile on vario2) and selected USB as the connection type. I plug the cable into the vario and nothing happens.

I've tried this on two different machines, the second one didn't have activesync installed so shouldn't have conflicted with the USB type install but neither kicked off the hardware detection wizard.

Could this be a hardware/software problem with the phone, i've got no issues with activesync detecting the phone normally so the problem only appears when i launch the wireless modem program.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Guest Wildfire

I have been trying to do this for some time and am failing badly, I have a couple of problems that don't help.

I have vista.....I hate it with a passion

I don't have an internet connection, I am trying to d/l the drivers to my phone to then copy onto mt lappy, they change file type to .ini files and are useless.

the disk I got with the phone has drivers, but for some reason will not install to vista according to orange C/S

any ideas on how I can achieve this and get the phone and laptop working together?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tony W
First time poster here. I signed up after killing myself trying to use my M3100 as a USB modem.

Orange actually have a step-by-step guide I just found, and it works really well. It's at http://web.orange.co.uk/eps/

Phil

I posted an answer to a similar question on XDA Developers here: XDA Dev Post on USB Modem setting up. It may help. I use it with no problems with this simple set-up.

Regards