Some simple M3100 questions

Guest Ged_UK

Hi, sorry, this is a repost of a comment on the end of the review. Wasn't sure where the best place for it was, so I've put it here as well. Please delete if inappropriate

I've got a few questions about the M3100 that i'd really need answered before I try to work out an affordable way of getting one!

I currently have an SPV C600 on Orange, and use it as my mp3 player. I use a stereo bluetooth headset, but i had to purchase a little program (Bluecast) in order to get the sound through the headphones. Often this doesn't shut down properly, leaving the phone not producing any sound so i have to turn off and on again.

Does the M3100 properly allow me to use Bluetooth headset without this program?

If not, is there an adaptor to let me plug in normal headphones into their (pointless) USB socket (I have weird ears and in-ear headphones always fall out!)

The M3100 comes with Excel and Word I believe, is that right?

Anyone experimented with Tasks functionality? My C600 doesn't handle tasks brilliantly (can't set due dates, alarm times and sometimes doesn't acurately synchronise completion back to the PC).

This is a general question, and please excuse my Mobile naivity, but if i buy one off eBay or wherever (and get it unlocked if necessary), can I just take my current SIM card and put it in the new phone?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work on the site!

Guest richard_d
...If not, is there an adaptor to let me plug in normal headphones into their (pointless) USB socket (I have weird ears and in-ear headphones always fall out!)

The M3100 comes with Excel and Word I believe, is that right?

Anyone experimented with Tasks functionality? My C600 doesn't handle tasks brilliantly (can't set due dates, alarm times and sometimes doesn't acurately synchronise completion back to the PC).

This is a general question, and please excuse my Mobile naivity, but if i buy one off eBay or wherever (and get it unlocked if necessary), can I just take my current SIM card and put it in the new phone?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work on the site!

No adaptor as yet (although people have rewired the existing headphones to create one) - I'm sure there will be one available soon..

Excel and Word, yes.

Most people seem to use an add on for task/diary management - what I've set has worked okay though.

If it's unlocked or on the right network and your SIM is 3G then should be fine.

Richard

No adaptor as yet (although people have rewired the existing headphones to create one) - I'm sure there will be one available soon..

Excel and Word, yes.

Most people seem to use an add on for task/diary management - what I've set has worked okay though.

If it's unlocked or on the right network and your SIM is 3G then should be fine.

Richard

Thanks, that's helpful. The adaptor isn't an issue if the bluetooth works out of the box. Do you know if it does?

Guest richard_d
Thanks, that's helpful. The adaptor isn't an issue if the bluetooth works out of the box. Do you know if it does?

I've only used it for transfering files between mobiles - there's a thread on recommendations for Bluetooth Headphones that addresses problems people have had...

Richard

I've only used it for transfering files between mobiles - there's a thread on recommendations for Bluetooth Headphones that addresses problems people have had...

Richard

Thanks again. The headset isn't a serious issue as i know i can download workaround software, it's just annoying having to reboot (and requeue my music!) when the sounds don't reset properly.

... I use a stereo bluetooth headset, but i had to purchase a little program (Bluecast) in order to get the sound through the headphones. Often this doesn't shut down properly, leaving the phone not producing any sound so i have to turn off and on again.

Does the M3100 properly allow me to use Bluetooth headset without this program?

I'm using the itech clip S35 as a stereo BT headset and it works pretty well

You can plug in any headphones into the headset (I plug it into the line in jack on my car stereo to play music in the car/use handsfree through the car speakers (although in this mode the other caler is getting some serious echo effects which I have not resolved as yet!)) but also occasionally plug in my own headphones.

You can set the itech as a handfree and/or a wireless stereo device independently.

When the itech is switched off or if you go out of range the sound is transferred to the phone ok

The only issue i'm having at the moment is that when you come back into range the headset function reconnects ok and calls can be taken through the headset ok but the stereo output is not. For example if you were playing an mp3 in stereo over BT and you then went out of range/disconnected for any reason, stereo sound would then transfer to the phone speaker and not reconnect to the headset automatically when back in range. You have to enter BT settings, uncheck the wireless stereo option, save, recheck the wireless option and it reconnects. I'm hoping this will be fixed in a rom update.

Sound quality is pretty good in my opinion although this can be very subjective and dependant on the quality of mp3.

hope this helps.

I'm using the itech clip S35 as a stereo BT headset and it works pretty well

You can plug in any headphones into the headset (I plug it into the line in jack on my car stereo to play music in the car/use handsfree through the car speakers (although in this mode the other caler is getting some serious echo effects which I have not resolved as yet!)) but also occasionally plug in my own headphones.

You can set the itech as a handfree and/or a wireless stereo device independently.

When the itech is switched off or if you go out of range the sound is transferred to the phone ok

The only issue i'm having at the moment is that when you come back into range the headset function reconnects ok and calls can be taken through the headset ok but the stereo output is not. For example if you were playing an mp3 in stereo over BT and you then went out of range/disconnected for any reason, stereo sound would then transfer to the phone speaker and not reconnect to the headset automatically when back in range. You have to enter BT settings, uncheck the wireless stereo option, save, recheck the wireless option and it reconnects. I'm hoping this will be fixed in a rom update.

Sound quality is pretty good in my opinion although this can be very subjective and dependant on the quality of mp3.

hope this helps.

I have an iTech too, a Blueband i think it's called, perfectly happy with it.

I have an iTech too, a Blueband i think it's called, perfectly happy with it.

Ged_uk

do you get the reconnect problems with stereo - i.e. do you have to manually reconnect when out/back into range?

Ged_uk

do you get the reconnect problems with stereo - i.e. do you have to manually reconnect when out/back into range?

Don't think i've ever gone out of range, the phone is usually in my pocket!

Thanks again. The headset isn't a serious issue as i know i can download workaround software, it's just annoying having to reboot (and requeue my music!) when the sounds don't reset properly.

There is no equivalent for bluecast on the Hermes yet. Someone has come up with a reghack on XDA developers that seems to work if you use the .cab file posted but not if you set the registry keys yourself.

There is no equivalent for bluecast on the Hermes yet. Someone has come up with a reghack on XDA developers that seems to work if you use the .cab file posted but not if you set the registry keys yourself.

OK, i'm confused now! Would i need a bluecast equivalent or will it run the stereo automatically from the box?

Hi. I am venturing into the rocky lands of smartphone/Pads having not previously had more than a Nokia 6111 :( The M3100 seems to be what I am looking for and reading this thread you guys seem to know what your talking about so hear goes...

1. I want to be able to access my office emails from my phone wherever I am - will the M3100 do this? If so how, as my understanding of WiFi is that you need to be in a 'zone' and I really have no knowledge of 3G

2. How easy is it to move Office documents to my phone? Do I need to use Activesync to convert them into 'pocket' format, or can I move them to the microSD via a card reader and have access from my phone?

3. What is the usability of Office documents on the handset? If I get a powerpoint attachment can it be easily viewed/amended? How limited is the functionality of Excel? etc

4. Will my life be better for having one or will it be taken over by 'never leaving the office' syndrome and 'playstation thumb' :rolleyes:

Guest gmatharu12

I think your off topic lol, but hey...

1. Aslong as you can access your office emails from home using the internet, then you can do it with 3G but will cost you depending on your Provider, alternativly... use Wi-Fi, you'll need to be within a wireless network, your home's wireless network most prefably.

2. Office documents can be moved back and forth using a Card Reader yes, no need for converting, although you may lose "some" formatting when opening any complicated documents using Pocket Office.

3. Sorry, un-sure (Never actually used a M3100 or Pocket Office for that matter)

4. Hopefully someone can answer this one for me too.

The M3100 seems like a great device, but its just a shame about the few hitches like Crashing while Charging.. SMS disappearing.. Screen Alignment..

Its alot of cash to gamble on to be honest (well when your 16 yrs... it feels like it is anyway).

Guest richard_d
As I understand the Pocket Powerpoint, you can view presentations, but not amend them. You can amend Word and Excel

Correct. Excel only has limited functionality, but you can do the basics. I find them useable enough.

Richard

Guest richard_d
4. Will my life be better for having one or will it be taken over by 'never leaving the office' syndrome and 'playstation thumb' :)

Women will suddenly find you irresistable, your boss will give you a pay rise and the sun will always shine :(

or... I don't know - personally I leave work at work and only check personal emails on it :rolleyes:

Richard

Women will suddenly find you irresistable, your boss will give you a pay rise and the sun will always shine :(

or... I don't know - personally I leave work at work and only check personal emails on it :rolleyes:

Richard

Wow, what do you think my husband will have to say about women finding me irresistable?

Could be worse...

Guest richard_d
The M3100 seems like a great device, but its just a shame about the few hitches like Crashing while Charging.. SMS disappearing.. Screen Alignment..

Its alot of cash to gamble on to be honest (well when your 16 yrs... it feels like it is anyway).

Personally I haven't had any of these problems (yet :rolleyes: ) (Vario II 632 serial no.) and it seems the phone companies are quite quick to exchange when it's a hardware issue. To be honest when you buy a newly released device rather than one that's been around for a while you do take the risk of suffering the real world teething troubles phones/PC's etc. have. Personally I'm amazed at how stable WM5 seems compared to my previous experience with Nokia's Symbian.

Richard

Guest richard_d
Wow, what do you think my husband will have to say about women finding me irresistable?

Could be worse...

Sorry I'd always associated 'Buffoon' with male behaviour :rolleyes:

As to what your husband will have to say, I'm not going down that road...

Richard

OK, i'm confused now! Would i need a bluecast equivalent or will it run the stereo automatically from the box?

Sorry to raise this again, but i still don't understand whether bluetooth stereo headphones will be able to connect straight from the box and play mp3s (rather than acting as a handsfree headset)