ActiveSync trouble! Grrrr...

Guest jce_hope

Guest jce_hope

Hi all,

I'm at my wit's end here trying to get my MDA Vario (= HTC Wizard = QTec 9100 = O2 XDA Mini S = Orange SPV M3000 = i-mate K-Jam = Dopod 838 ...) to sync with ActiveSync. Every time I try I get a different problem. Sometimes nothing seems to happen, sometimes I get 'device isn't recognised', sometimes it connects as Guest, but doesn't Sync, a couple of times it has started to Sync and then failed (In which case Code 43 was registered in the device manager, other times I have had 'Code 10', but often there is no code). Exactly once, it worked perfectly -- I thought I was home and dry, but next time I tried I realised it was just lulling me into the old false sense of security!

I have tried a couple of USB cables, including the one shipped with the item, either via a powered USB hub or directly from the one USB socket on my laptop.

Mostly, I have been trying to use ActiveSync 4.2, but I have also given ActiveSync 4.5 Beta 2 a decent going over, with no more success.

The Vario is running Windows Mobile 5.0 (OS 5.1.195)

I'm using a Dell Latitude with a PIII running Windows XP Professional version 2002 with SP2. There is only USB1 on the laptop. I'm just using the XP firewall on the laptop, though I have tried running the sync with the firewall off -- with similar results.

This would be such a lovely device if I could get it to work! Its all so random -- what's going on?

Many thanks for any illumination you can shed on this...

Joe

--

Hi all,

I'm at my wit's end here trying to get my MDA Vario (= HTC Wizard = QTec 9100 = O2 XDA Mini S = Orange SPV M3000 = i-mate K-Jam = Dopod 838 ...) to sync with ActiveSync. Every time I try I get a different problem. Sometimes nothing seems to happen, sometimes I get 'device isn't recognised', sometimes it connects as Guest, but doesn't Sync, a couple of times it has started to Sync and then failed (In which case Code 43 was registered in the device manager, other times I have had 'Code 10', but often there is no code). Exactly once, it worked perfectly -- I thought I was home and dry, but next time I tried I realised it was just lulling me into the old false sense of security!

I have tried a couple of USB cables, including the one shipped with the item, either via a powered USB hub or directly from the one USB socket on my laptop.

Mostly, I have been trying to use ActiveSync 4.2, but I have also given ActiveSync 4.5 Beta 2 a decent going over, with no more success.

The Vario is running Windows Mobile 5.0 (OS 5.1.195)

I'm using a Dell Latitude with a PIII running Windows XP Professional version 2002 with SP2. There is only USB1 on the laptop. I'm just using the XP firewall on the laptop, though I have tried running the sync with the firewall off -- with similar results.

This would be such a lovely device if I could get it to work! Its all so random -- what's going on?

Many thanks for any illumination you can shed on this...

Joe

--

:rolleyes:

Code 10 is not good. It meas that your computer does not have enough resources to install the hardware correctly. Remove your device from within Device Manager, and then try to temporarily remove some hardware within Device Manager (Network Adaptors, Bluetooth etc) - which will all reinstall after a reboot), and re-introduce your device. See if it installs OK...

If it does, when you reboot, you *should* have enough resources available to install the rest of the hardware...

Try disabling devices you dont use in device manager like Floppy Disk Controller, Modem etc to free up resources for the CODE 10 error.

For general Activesync issues like UNKNOWN DEVICE or Green Spinning Wheel of death when syncing

Sometimes you may need to delete registry keys in these locations (any that relate to WINDOWS MOBILE or POCKET PC or CRADLE SYNC)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}]

and sub keys off CLASS key (look through for any that relate to WINDOWS MOBILE or POCKET PC or CRADLE SYNC)

Then look for same again under ENUM registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB]

Next, we need to ensure that Windows Mobile isnt left behind in network bindings.Look through and delete sub keys relating to Windows Mobile Only here - DO NOT delete Network clients subkeys etc JUST subkeys that relate to Windows Mobile Or Pocket PC on the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network]

Driver Deletion to prevent UNKNOWN DEVICE (prep for re-install of Activesync)

DELETE all relevant files beginning OEM*.INF and OEM*.PNF in C:\Windows\INF - Otherwise UNKNOWN DEVICE will reign again. Check each one in notepad before you actually delete to check the file is related to Windows Mobile Or Pocket PC or Cradle Sync. (file examples OEM1.INF, OEM23.INF etc)

Mobile Device - Activesync cleanup

Also remember to delete any sync setup in ActiveSync ON THE MOBILE DEVICE itself and to ensure that under options USB sync is allowed

And Finally....

After you have done this, UNINSTALL activesync then reboot INSTALL Activesync again, reboot then finally connect your device.

After this, you will no longer get a spinning wheel trying to sync or Unknown device !!

Edited by unisoft

Every time I try I get a different problem. Sometimes nothing seems to happen, sometimes I get 'device isn't recognised',

--

Forgot to mention that the above is not too good either. This essentially meas that the device is not identifying itself to the computer correctly. If you were not using as 4.2 i'd suggest using that.

Maybe consider getting your device looked under via the warrnaty - check out your Serial Number... HT 5 42 (e.g) would mean that your device was made in 2005 and week 42. You should get a 15mnth warranty after that production date in leiu of a missing purchase order thingo.

Guest jce_hope

Immense thanks for the replies so far!

And yet ... Arrrgggghhh!

OK, so I have tried disabling floppy drive and modem in device manager. Also checked the resistry for Windows Mobile/Pocket PC/Cradle keys (found none) and C:\windows\inf for oem*.inf and oem*.pnf files (found twenty paired files, of which 3 were related to Windows Mobile or Windows CE and which I moved to an out-of-the-way location).

Uninstalled and reinstalled ActiveSync 4.2. Hard reset on the phone.

Plugged it in - it didn't work -- but, it also didn't work in a new manner...

This time it seemed to install as a 'Generic RNDIS' device. It turned up in Device Manger under Network Adaptors (previously I think it always popped up under USB controllers) as Windows Mobile Device #3 (that's suspicious ... why #3?). First time it got to this point OK, but didn't connect or sync.

OK, so now it's turned up in Network Connections I figured I could follow the advice given in

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/hel...oreoptions.mspx

(previously there was nothing under network connections, so I couldn't follow this). However, everything was as it should be.

NEXT time I try to connect, more or less the same thing happens, except this time, under device manager -- Network adaptors it registers as before, but this time it has the yellow /!\ of doom and is claiming Code 10 again.

How many different ways of not working can this thing clock up? I guess I should try it on another PC wehen I get the chance. Perhaps there's something up with my USB port? (though everything else seems to work OK.

Does any of this give any further clues? I reckon you can all guess how much this is doing my poor befuddled head in...

Joe

Guest Jasonkruys
Immense thanks for the replies so far!

And yet ... Arrrgggghhh!

OK, so I have tried disabling floppy drive and modem in device manager. Also checked the resistry for Windows Mobile/Pocket PC/Cradle keys (found none) and C:\windows\inf for oem*.inf and oem*.pnf files (found twenty paired files, of which 3 were related to Windows Mobile or Windows CE and which I moved to an out-of-the-way location).

Uninstalled and reinstalled ActiveSync 4.2. Hard reset on the phone.

Plugged it in - it didn't work -- but, it also didn't work in a new manner...

This time it seemed to install as a 'Generic RNDIS' device. It turned up in Device Manger under Network Adaptors (previously I think it always popped up under USB controllers) as Windows Mobile Device #3 (that's suspicious ... why #3?). First time it got to this point OK, but didn't connect or sync.

OK, so now it's turned up in Network Connections I figured I could follow the advice given in

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/hel...oreoptions.mspx

(previously there was nothing under network connections, so I couldn't follow this). However, everything was as it should be.

NEXT time I try to connect, more or less the same thing happens, except this time, under device manager -- Network adaptors it registers as before, but this time it has the yellow /!\ of doom and is claiming Code 10 again.

How many different ways of not working can this thing clock up? I guess I should try it on another PC wehen I get the chance. Perhaps there's something up with my USB port? (though everything else seems to work OK.

Does any of this give any further clues? I reckon you can all guess how much this is doing my poor befuddled head in...

Joe

Try getting hold of a copy of activesync 4.1 or 4.0, I have never been able to get 4.2 or 4.5 to sync with my universal.

Try getting hold of a copy of activesync 4.1 or 4.0, I have never been able to get 4.2 or 4.5 to sync with my universal.

Don't use 4.0!

It is pants. Even Microsoft stopped supporting it soon after its relase...

I don't believe the problem to be with AS, more the fact that your system does not have enough resources to handle the device correctly.

The device appearing in Network Connections as a LAN (WM Based device) is a good start, but to still see Code 10 is not...

Double check what is happening within DM

The #3 suggests that this is the 3rd time your computer has seen this device... are you using the same USB port everytime (this wont really affect the handsets ability to Sync though...)? Make sure that Windows Mobile Device and Windows Mobile Device #2 are still not lurking around within Network Adaptors...

You are almost there, see if you can make a last ditch attempt to look in DM for hardware you can temporarily uninstall.

If all else fails i suggest trying on another PC, see how the device reacts. if it plays up once again, that may well indicate an h/w issue. Otherwise you can safely assume the issue is local on your pc.

All

Activesync 4.2 and (even better) 4.5 do work fully with these phones !!!!

Please refollow my post EXACTLY looking for any Windows Mobile/Windows CE/Pocket PC related registry keys in the locations given. Try to disable as much hardware that you dont use as possible.

Also in your BIOS, disable any serial ports, parallel ports (if you dont use them that is !) and if you have a sound card disable the onboard sound if there is any. This will free up resources before windows has even booted.

If your BIOS has this option Plug & Play OS or Pnp OS or similar then set it to NO. This will enforce IRQ settings and memory address ranges by the BIOS and WIndows will not try to be clever in forcing various devices onto ONE IRQ.

Generic RNDIS sounds ok to me, so long as there are other devices detected at same time of this.

The point about deleting the OLD cache of Activesync drivers via the OEM*.INF and OEM*.PNF files, is that it will force PNP to use the new drivers from the fresh Activesync installation. It will then copy these to the INF folder with names such as OEM12.INF for example...

To avoid UNKNOWN DEVICE in the future NEVER NEVER disconnect the phone just as you have plugged it in. You must let Activesync do its thing until it says synchronised, else you may find yourself getting UNKNOWN DEVICE often !

DO NOT USE ACTIVESYNC 4.0 - You will go mad ! Its a pile of ****

Best bet: Install Activesync 4.0 first then do uninstall afterwards. Reaon say to do this, is that AS 4.0 has two VERY VERY VERY VERY important hotfixes for Windows XP wrapped inside for USB synching !!!

The files updated are (from memory):

USB8023.sys

USB8023x.sys

These are VITAL updates for the RNDIS mechanism used to sync.

Uninstalling AS 4.0 will leave these hotfixes behind as Installed as they are an OS update wrapped within an application install (bad on Microsoft's part - they should have been global Windows Update offerings)

85010014 Sync Errors:

If you are getting the above error message see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912241/en-us

Firewall Issues with Detecting of Device:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912240/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911423/en-us

Edited by unisoft

Also in your BIOS, disable any serial ports, parallel ports (if you dont use them that is !) and if you have a sound card disable the onboard sound if there is any. This will free up resources before windows has even booted.

If your BIOS has this option Plug & Play OS or Pnp OS or similar then set it to NO. This will enforce IRQ settings and memory address ranges by the BIOS and WIndows will not try to be clever in forcing various devices onto ONE IRQ.

Oh, yes, BIOS! Forgot about that.

Check for any BIOS related upgrades for your m/board. These generally help with resource issues and what not.

When it showed up as the RNDS device (or whatever) I just went into Device Manager, found the entry under USB for the device and deleted it. When I disconnected the device and reconnected it started up as normal.

Don't know whether it exists on the Vario but it apparently can help to go into Settings-Connections-USB Connection and uncheck advanced USB function.

When it showed up as the RNDS device (or whatever) I just went into Device Manager, found the entry under USB for the device and deleted it. When I disconnected the device and reconnected it started up as normal.

Don't know whether it exists on the Vario but it apparently can help to go into Settings-Connections-USB Connection and uncheck advanced USB function.

Yes you generally dont need the networking wifi component to be accessible from the desktop so the tick option to disable this is what i set. Otherwise you get a Windows Mobile networking device under network in device manager. I also found on my PC that is this was so, when I disconnected, my PC internet then took an age to resolve DNS!

Guest jce_hope

OK -- Wow -- massive thanks to everyone who has contributed here. There's a lot of info here and I'm a little worried I don't fully understand everything here. If I can just clarify some things...

All

Please refollow my post EXACTLY looking for any Windows Mobile/Windows CE/Pocket PC related registry keys in the locations given.

OK, I've tried this, but I'm not sure I've got your meaning right... When you say

Sometimes you may need to delete registry keys in these locations (any that relate to WINDOWS MOBILE or POCKET PC or CRADLE SYNC)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}]

and sub keys off CLASS key (look through for any that relate to WINDOWS MOBILE or POCKET PC or CRADLE SYNC)

Do you mean (1) to delete the registry key named

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]

*or* (2) to delete any subkeys that contain within their name any of the terms from {WINDOWS MOBILE, POCKET PC, CRADLE SYNC}

I interpreted as per (2) as a conservative measure, but I found no keys or values that matched the description (even before uninstalling AS). If you meant (1) then these subkeys are present, and I could delete them.

(Excuse my ignorance. I have had to apply myself already just to finding out what the registry is etc.)

Also, can I just check, is it safe to disable hardware in the BIOS? Is there any way I can screw up here (you can see I'm a tad worried about getting out of my depth!).

Presumably, any hardware I disable in the bios will not appear in the device manager for me to disable there -- this is effectively a more robust method of achieving a similar objective, yes? Is there anything I would be better off disabling in DM than in Bios?

Finding the OEM*.inf and paired .pnf files was no problem I think.

One thing troubles me though: when the device registers as Windows Mobile Device #3, this implies that somewhere the system has a record of installing the device before, but I thought that by doing all these things we had wiped the slate clean... Does it matter that it is registering as #3, or is that incidental?

I will try the install/uninstall of AS 4.0 (Jason kindly provided me with link to the setup file: http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/4...4e4d/setup.exe). [Even though this procdure does sound a bit like black magic...]

I cannot find Settings-Connections-USB Connection on the Vario, so that avenue appears to be closed.

Yes, I will try to try it on another PC to help isolate the problem (unfortunately, my flatmate uses Windows ME -- bleagh). If it fails to work on other machines I guess I'd be justified in sending it back to T-mobile (it is still under Warranty).

I think that's all for now...

...and thanks again, I'm hanging on every word of you guys!

Cheers, Joe

--

I wouldnt muck around with your BIOS too much. Simply remove the hardware from within DM itself, this should be sufficient...

A BIOs update (if available) should help as well.

Registry editing seems a bit hardcore, maybe consider testing on another machine prior to that - just to rule on or the other out of the equation!

Guest jce_hope
I wouldnt muck around with your BIOS too much. Simply remove the hardware from within DM itself, this should be sufficient...

A BIOs update (if available) should help as well.

Registry editing seems a bit hardcore, maybe consider testing on another machine prior to that - just to rule on or the other out of the equation!

Ok, I'll try with DM first (and maybe Penfold later... :( )

BIOS update. Urk -- that sounds to me like *more* hardcore than fiddling with the registry. Is it actually simple?

There may be a realatively simple solution to the problem of connecting the Wizard I to ActiveSync... I just posted it in the Tips 'n Tricks section of http://www.gadgetapps.net/forum/index.php

It's worked for me on the Wizard I and saved me a lot of aggro! :rolleyes:

[For the purposes of removing one hoop, this solution is at http://www.smartphonefrance.info/actu.asp?ID=3492 -- BTW, the English translation is extraordinary ]

Cheers for the tip. Can I ask were you having similar problems to mine before you installed this app?

How would I install without syncing? Via SD card? Do I just stick it on the card and launch it from File Explorer in WM5?

Many thanks again all!

Joe

....[For the purposes of removing one hoop, this solution is at http://www.smartphonefrance.info/actu.asp?ID=3492 -- BTW, the English translation is extraordinary ]

Cheers for the tip. Can I ask were you having similar problems to mine before you installed this app?

How would I install without syncing? Via SD card? Do I just stick it on the card and launch it from File Explorer in WM5?

Many thanks again all!

Joe

Hi Joe, I'm using an AMD Athlon 2500+ powered laptop, running XP Home SP2 and ActiveSync vers. 4.2.0 (build 4855) BETA. No, I didn't exactly have the same problems as you, you seem to have progressed in a much more exciting fashion! :( I didn't even get an initial connection on the Vario (Wizard I), nothing! zilch! nada!

Install without syncing.. Yes, I see your point... It's a standard CAB file, so as you say, stick it on the card and fire it up from File manager, I installed to device btw, though I'm not sure if it matters unduly which you install to.

Incidentally, I didn't have to make any alterations to any part of the software, connection settings, firewall, etc. Which is probably just as well in my case! :)

Good Luck with it! :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I got my qtek8500.

I have Windows XP SP2, active sync 4.5

I immediately wanted to synch all my contacts, it didn't work however. The phone established only a guest relationship, so I could browse the phone but no synchronization. Reinstall didn't help at all, neiter did a hard reset.

After about 4 hours of looking for a solution I finally found it. Its not mine but taken from

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/t-shootactivesync.htm

- really wonderful guide to active sync problems.

The solution: (a quote)

"Check and see of the registration key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services and see whether a key named GuestOnly has a value of 1. If it does then change the value to 0 to allow you to setup a partnership."

after that - just one mean digit, it simply worked.

hope it helps anybody in any way :)

Edited by dakiro