Screen alignment - M3100

Guest andyfitter

Guest andyfitter

Is anybody else out there with an M3100 having the well known screen alignment problems, and if so, have they talked to CS about it?

I ask as I am having the problems, and haven't called yet, but pretty much all the posts on here refer to the problems as mainly affecting Voda and T-mob branded versions.

Andy.

Guest richard_d
Is anybody else out there with an M3100 having the well known screen alignment problems, and if so, have they talked to CS about it?

I ask as I am having the problems, and haven't called yet, but pretty much all the posts on here refer to the problems as mainly affecting Voda and T-mob branded versions.

Andy.

I think it's just that there are more Vario's out there. It certainly effects the Tytn branded Hermes as well.

HTC are saying it's a harware issue and units need to be replaced.

Richard

Guest andyfitter
I think it's just that there are more Vario's out there. It certainly effects the Tytn branded Hermes as well.

HTC are saying it's a harware issue and units need to be replaced.

Richard

I guess with Web'n'walk it enticed many people away from their currrent operator and onto the Vario II. I managed to get the unlimited data tariff from O so ended up staying.

Another thing to add to the list of things to talk to CS about... If only they would answer the phone occasionally!

I'd ring orange now because by the time they answer your 12m warranty will be nearly up!

I have an M3100 And I get sporadic misalignments.

in about 6 weeks Ive had about 3 bad days (realigned a lot during those days) at other times it's been perfect.

very strange problem

not rang to get replacement cos couldn't resist swapping roms :rolleyes:

Guest bydandie
not rang to get replacement cos couldn't resist swapping roms :rolleyes:

Reading through your warranty and EULA where does it state that your warranty is void if update the software?

right...so I have had an M3100 for 2-3 weeks now and suddenly yesterday the screen goes way out alignment.

It's a pain now as it seems to loss calibration several times a day but is quite variable (i.e sometimes it's way out, others it's not too bad...with no re-calibration in between). re-calibration only improves the issue, I can't actually get the pointer spot on after calibration

Things I've noticed are

1) changing Text Size appears to have an effect on how far out the pointer is...large text size seems to be better (but still can't get it accurate)

2) pointer appears ok on the left edge of the screen but gradually 'lags' as you move to the right hand side (so the mark when you draw on a note is offset to the left of where you press the screen). This is the same in both portrait and landscape when drawing notes - i.e it appears to be a software issue to me.

3) the gap between the plastic frame and the actual screen is smaller on the RHS of the screen than the left (when holding the phone normally)

4) the amount of offset between reality and what actually gets drawn is different between portrait and landscape

anyone got similar observations ?

this is an HT631xxx

Reading through your warranty and EULA where does it state that your warranty is void if update the software?

I've not read these documents.

Ive read (possibly on this forum or over at XDA developers) that network unlocking, changing roms (from an orange to non orange rom) invalidates your warranty.

I do have orange care although the realignemnt problem should be covered undeer the normal 12m warranty anyway.

If my realignemt issues become more frequent it may be worth ringing orange care and sending it back. They usually swap on the door and the postman is hadly going to check the rom. I will have to pay to get the replacement unlocked again however. They may get back in touch when they realise the rom has been changed :rolleyes:

Edited by daddyo

Guest bydandie

Ive read (possibly on this forum or over at XDA developers) that network unlocking, changing roms (from an orange to non orange rom) invalidates your warranty.

I do have orange care although the realignemnt problem should be covered undeer the normal 12m warranty anyway.

If my realignemt issues become more frequent it may be worth ringing orange care and sending it back. They usually swap on the door and the postman is hadly going to check the rom. I will have to pay to get the replacement unlocked again however. They may get back in touch when they realise the rom has been changed :rolleyes:

I'd recommend reading the documents. The alignment issue will be covered, although within the first six months you have an awful lot of rights that you lose after the first six months. The right to choose a repair or replacement and the onus on the seller to prove that there wasn't a fault at the point of sale for example, look at the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumer Regs 2002. This states that any fault like the alignment issue within the first six months will be classed as having failed at the point of sale.

The changing ROM problem is quite an odd one. I'll try to explain it now...

The warranty is something similar too -

*"DEVICE Software*. You may use the DEVICE Software as installed on the DEVICE."

It also states under the section marked

"UPGRADES AND REVOVERY MEDIA."

"DEVICE Software. If the DEVICE Software is provided by HTC separate from the DEVICE on media such as a ROM chip, CD-ROM disk(s) or via web download.....and is labeled "For Upgrade Purposes Only", you may install one copy of such DEVICE software onto the device as a replacement copy for

the existing DEVICE software, and use it in accordance with this EULA, including any addition EULA terms accompanying the upgrade DEVICE software."

Nice read, eh?

:)

Now, if you are putting on a different ROM on your device, and it is not supplied by the same vendor, it IS NOT a replacement.

For example, let's say you have the v1605, and you change the ROM on it to a non-branded ROM. As this is a Vodafone unit any replacement or of upgrade software must also be specifically for a Vodafone device as anything else would not be a replacement.

Make sense?

:(

If you are experiencing screen alignment issues, i would cotact CS ASAP, and get a replacement device. Serial Number plays no part in this problem, it is purely a random hardware issue.

Edited by yrreP

Guest bydandie

*"DEVICE Software*. You may use the DEVICE Software as installed on the DEVICE."

"DEVICE Software. If the DEVICE Software is provided by HTC separate from the DEVICE on media such as a ROM chip, CD-ROM disk(s) or via web download.....and is labeled "For Upgrade Purposes Only", you may install one copy of such DEVICE software onto the device as a replacement copy for

the existing DEVICE software, and use it in accordance with this EULA, including any addition EULA terms accompanying the upgrade DEVICE software."

Nice read, eh?

Now, if you are putting on a different ROM on your device, and it is not supplied by the same vendor, it IS NOT a replacement.

For example, let's say you have the v1605, and you change the ROM on it to a non-branded ROM. As this is a Vodafone unit any replacement or of upgrade software must also be specifically for a Vodafone device as anything else would not be a replacement.

Make sense?

:rolleyes:

Ah, but it doesn't specifically state that it has to be made for the device, just that it is supplied HTC and labelled "For upgrade purposes only". Nowhere does it state within the EULA that a ROM from another vendors is not a replacement.

Given that the only reference to the warranty within the v1605 documentation is that the warranty is void if the outer casing has been open or tampreed with, implied terms under UK contract law would state that unless explicitly stated then warranty would not be void if flashing to a different ROM. The EULA also refers you to the warranty card for coutry specific T's and C's. Anyone found that yet?

Edited by bydandie

Nice read, eh?

Make sense?

If you are experiencing screen alignment issues, i would cotact CS ASAP, and get a replacement device. Serial Number plays no part in this problem, it is purely a random hardware issue.

TBH the problem is so sporadic and for such a short period of time its not a big issue for me.

Other people are having issues with screen alignment much more frequently and for longer.

If it becomes a problem I'll contact CS and arrange a replacmeent under orange care and hope they don't make the changed rom an issue. If orange bring out a rom upgrade i'll stick that on it before sending it back - the the problem is solved. At the moment this is not possible

I don't want to pay to unlock a second device again either so i'm sitting tight at the moment.

Thanks for the info on warranty - very useful. I believe changing rom invalidates warranty based on this info which is what I suspected and TBH is what i'd argue if I were a supplier.

Just as an aside, do you think removing the orange logo is a way of invlidating your warranty? I'm very tempted!!

Edited by daddyo

Guest bydandie
Thanks for the info on warranty - very useful. I believe changing rom invalidates warranty based on this info which is what I suspected and TBH is what i'd argue if I were a supplier.

Just as an aside, do you think removing the orange logo is a way of invlidating your warranty? I'm very tempted!!

Invalidation of warranty by flashing the ROM depends on the terms and conidtions of your warranty. If you were to apply an HTC ROM onto a device for example I would think it very difficult for a court to find on the part of the provider. Even the CID could be difficult to prove that a person would have to realise that they weren't allowed to flash the ROM. Case laws points toward even encryption as not being suffieicient to imply that a person could not access information.

However this does not constitue legal advice. Removing the Orange logo, again dependent on the terms and conditions could invalidate your warranty, slam dunk! This is certainly the case with the Voda t's and c's.

I suppose at the end of the day, you are buying an ORANGE M3100, or a VODAFONE v1605, or T-MOBILE Vario II ... NOT an HTC TyTN.

The devices and ROM build are specific to the providers of the handsets, i.e. the Networks.

Not sure what I am trying to say... but there is something niggling at the back of my mind

Guest bydandie
I suppose at the end of the day, you are buying an ORANGE M3100, or a VODAFONE v1605, or T-MOBILE Vario II ... NOT an HTC TyTN.

The devices and ROM build are specific to the providers of the handsets, i.e. the Networks.

Not sure what I am trying to say... but there is something niggling at the back of my mind

Indeed, and I'm not saying that the networks shouldn't be allowed to stop people from flashing their devices with ROMs from another provider. However, until such time as they actually state it in contractual agreements they cannot legally enforce it. One of the biggest jokes is the period that the vendors use to determine if you can exchange your faulty device for a replacement one.

The sale and supply of consumer goods regulations 2002, clearly states that the buy can required the seller to repair or replace the faulty goods within the first six months after purchase; but we have service providers who interpret things as they wish without recourse to any legal rights the customer has.

The law works both ways, unfortunately until such time as the providers understand the operation of smartphones then they will still be playing catchup.

... Removing the Orange logo, again dependent on the terms and conditions could invalidate your warranty, slam dunk! This is certainly the case with the Voda t's and c's.

how is this covered in Voda's T&Cs? does it say "you must not remove our logo" or is it less obvious than that. I'm trawling through my orange contract at the moment.

Guest bydandie
how is this covered in Voda's T&Cs? does it say "you must not remove our logo" or is it less obvious than that. I'm trawling through my orange contract at the moment.

it states 'your warranty is invalidated if you open ms tamper with your devices outer casing'

right...phoned up Orange CS on Friday and also HTC. HTC gave me a 400 digit reference to give to Orange should I have any issues with Orange. Gave all the details to Orange, and to their credit their Tech Support phoned back on the Monday to confirm a replacement swap on the doorstep. Got it today (Tuesday) and it's an HT 635 serial. Unfortunately, still an offset issue but it does appear to be better if I play with a combination of the Zoom in Notes, and the Letter size under the Screen setting.

It's working ok for now, time will tell as to whether it suddenly 'jumps' out of alignment.

This one certainly has a larger gap between frame and screen to my previous one. Interestingly the screen feels different, almost like it's more sticky (I'm sure i'll get used to it but doesn't feel as smooth ans slick as you drag the stylus)

Ant.

I'm a little concerned about this now. My 3100 is due to be delivered today.

Is there somewhere where the problem is detailed and maybe some screenshots?

Also, I've bought mine from a supplier on the net (on Orange). If it does have a hardware problem will Orange deal with me or will I have to go via the original supplier?

Edited by mbriody

Guest andyfitter
right...phoned up Orange CS on Friday and also HTC. HTC gave me a 400 digit reference to give to Orange should I have any issues with Orange. Gave all the details to Orange, and to their credit their Tech Support phoned back on the Monday to confirm a replacement swap on the doorstep. Got it today (Tuesday) and it's an HT 635 serial. Unfortunately, still an offset issue but it does appear to be better if I play with a combination of the Zoom in Notes, and the Letter size under the Screen setting.

It's working ok for now, time will tell as to whether it suddenly 'jumps' out of alignment.

This one certainly has a larger gap between frame and screen to my previous one. Interestingly the screen feels different, almost like it's more sticky (I'm sure i'll get used to it but doesn't feel as smooth ans slick as you drag the stylus)

Ant.

Just called Orange too as it was starting to really annoy me, and even though she was quite helpful, said she'd never heard of the fault before, and has referred it to the technical dept. Can you give me the HTC reference number just in case I need it?

Ta.

Guest bydandie
I'm a little concerned about this now. My 3100 is due to be delivered today.

Is there somewhere where the problem is detailed and maybe some screenshots?

Also, I've bought mine from a supplier on the net (on Orange). If it does have a hardware problem will Orange deal with me or will I have to go via the original supplier?

Legally, the supplier who sold you the product. Your contract is with Orange though, so you should be able to get is sorted through there.

Just called Orange too as it was starting to really annoy me, and even though she was quite helpful, said she'd never heard of the fault before, and has referred it to the technical dept. Can you give me the HTC reference number just in case I need it?

Ta.

The HTC reference number will most likely be unique to each and every customer... You would need to contact HTC Europe direct to get a reference number of your own...

Guest andyfitter
The HTC reference number will most likely be unique to each and every customer... You would need to contact HTC Europe direct to get a reference number of your own...

Ah, fair enough, misunderstood it to mean a reference number for the general fault type, not the specific instance of it.

I'll call and get one of my own if I need it, but hopefully as Orange seem to be accepting it as a fault now I shouldn't need to.

Guest andyfitter
Ah, fair enough, misunderstood it to mean a reference number for the general fault type, not the specific instance of it.

I'll call and get one of my own if I need it, but hopefully as Orange seem to be accepting it as a fault now I shouldn't need to.

Orange have arranged a swap for tomorrow afternoon, without any difficulty at all. Hopefully this will nail it, but I'm not convinced from what I've read in other threads!

Andy.