The official Virgin Mobile Lobster 700 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Well, I got it this morning and have been playing with it pretty much since then.

At first I tried it without the Sim, and was interested that you can recieve DAB radio without a sim-card. TV however needed a license as was earlier discussed.

The DAB radio is really really really good. I was so impressed by this feature, the sound quality is fantastic with a great range of channels (I was hoping for more rock orientated ones though).

The TV... well.. it's pretty crap. The fact the phone is being marketted entirely on one of it's poorest features is a shame because a whole heap of people are going to be dissapointed by it.

I came from a C500, running Windows Mobile 2003, so Windows 5 was new to me. Using the Lobster really makes me want Windows 5 on my C500, especially the new style camera application! I have been impressed with the software side of the phone, a lot more than I had expected to be.

The phone itself... well.. it's very very big, and it's pretty damn uncomfortable to hold and use - but it's certainly somthing anyone would eventually adjust to.

I really really wish the phone was inside a different case, and smaller. I've enjoyed using it, and for the price it's excellent.

Anyway, to cut it short, I don't think I'll be keeping the phone (although I wish I could keep the number!) but will be switching to the

Edited by RT87

What about the keypad!

Is it just me, or is the right hand side screwy?

Glad it's not just me that had a bad TV experience :rolleyes:

P

The keypad is okay for me. I don't mind it actually! The right hand side is certainly screwy, but that's because of the ridges they added, which seem like a rather odd addition to me.

The biggest problem is pushing left on the joypad!! It seems you have to hit it really specifically to get it to move left, whereas the other buttons seem okay.

I really really want this phone bad, but in a smaller package! WIFI and MiniSD would be nice too!

Edited by RT87

Guest preetkk

I got my lobster 700 TV today i was impressed for this being there first windows phone (as i had a SPV C550 which is rubbish compared to this) i think the 700 is a good phone it doesent lag like my C550 did (which i replaced with a Nokia N80)

I paid

Guest preetkk

i got about 20 quid knocked off cause i got my sis to buy it for me as she used her UNI student card

And i think i got a extra tenner credit

But i wasen't the one to go and get it so aint sure

Edited by preetkk

Guest minty1978

the only question i have is:

shall i get this phone as a replacement for my vario??

i like the look of the phone, however it is missing wifi....

my only real worrys:

the TV reception/quality is bad

ROM updates will be few and far between

I just called in to the local virgin store...so far they havent sold a single lobster :rolleyes:

he said it is a good phone, and that the TV side of things works well, however he wouldnt want to watch a 2hr film on it.

so, shall i go for it??

Guest minty1978

well....

I want something smaller...which it is...just :rolleyes:

i want something which 'normal' people dont have (i like to be different)

i want it to work! the chap in the virgin shop couldnt show me the TV as he couldnt get reception, though he said when he went on the training course to use it in london it was great...but i live in Coventry and work in Leamington.

thanks in advance :(

Guest preetkk
are you enjoying the phone? is it better than your c550?

Will I bought the Nokia N80 about a month ago which turned my SPV C550 into my 2nd Handset (as I unlocked it and could put my T-Mobile sim in it and benifit from 5p calls) so now I have the lobster I have put the SPV to one side and use the N80 and the Lobster now and do not use my T-Mobile sim and SPV anymore(But I will use my t-mobile sim when my N80 is unlocked)

Anyway back to your question you asked, the Lobster is way better than the SPV & yes I am enjoying the lobster

Paul - The lobster's keypad is fine just that the TV buttons shouldn't have the little extra plastic bit on as it gets in the way

Edited by preetkk

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yep, i'm returning mine tomorrow... keypad is killer for me TBH.

Besides, a T-Mobile Dash is $349 sans-contract in the US... and it's a better device :rolleyes:

P

Guest Advancer

Picked up one of these a few days ago and I have to admit that I'm quite impressed.

I have to agree that the TV side of the phone is probably its worst feature which is a shame as this is what is being pushed the most at retail. It would have been better to brand it as a very cheap WM5.0 smartphone!.

I find the digital radio is pretty good wherever I am although does seem to drop the signal if I walk around. As for the TV, well I work in Coventry city centre and the reception in the office is very poor. However, if I move outside then its actually quite watchable. The most annoying thing is that the picture and sound are never 100% in sync!

So far I've not found the keypad an issue although not too sure how long they keys will last, they seem very plasticky.

All in all, not too bad. I got it on a decent contract, the phone was free and there's

Guest preetkk
Yep, i'm returning mine tomorrow... keypad is killer for me TBH.

Besides, a T-Mobile Dash is $349 sans-contract in the US... and it's a better device :rolleyes:

P

Did you get your full amount paid back mate?

As I only got somet around 160-170 back because I had 30 pound credit from 35 pound left on the sim so kept the sim, I never went to return it myself so aint sure how much we got back exactly lol

Guest Bongmaster

Hi i just got a lobser 700 yesterday on contract, and i am new to windows mobile, and smart phones..

i am wondering if there is any way i can get round the lockouts (sims, folder permissions, etc..)

has anyone got quake running on one yet? i would be trying it wen i get my microSD card delivered

i have found quite a few bits of software that are usefull :rolleyes: but some files wont install due to permissions which is mean..

Edited by Bongmaster

Guest Bongmaster

sorry for the double post but..

aaarrrgh! i am sick of getting "the instalation file is not intended for your device" as a feeble excuse for not installing most of the wm5 software i want.. there is no need for it :rolleyes:

is there any way round this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.