Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Devices:Touch HD
  • Twitter:@NikLP
Oops. Next!

Attached Files

Edited by NikLP, 11 October 2006 - 11:42 AM.

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I've got a bloody complaint alright, having just received my first bill since getting the """""unlimited""""" bandwidth installed on my contract.

I'll assume despite the slightly fuzzy image that its impact will be no less dramatic. I'm absolutely fuming and now I've got to try and get the money back from the idiots who don't know that WAP and INTERNET are the same thing. Why the hell are they measuring these differently, and how the hell are we supposed to know what's what, if it's called "Orange World Browsing"?

IDIOTS!!

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping
  • Devices:Desire S
  • Twitter:@chucky_egg
I think Orange count on people not understanding the tariffs

AFAICT the "unlimited browsing" is unlimited browsing of the Orange WAP pages off peak. TBH I'm not certain, and I don't know anyone who is.

T-Mobile. £7.50 for 1Gb of proper-honest-to-goodness-internet-access
Can't beat it

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

AFAICT the "unlimited browsing" is unlimited browsing of the Orange WAP pages off peak. TBH I'm not certain, and I don't know anyone who is.

Can't beat it

Nope, check Markcouk's post in "orange unlimited browsing" - his bill is clean as a whistle. This is just some sort of madness...

Suffice to say it's just more time wasted and no doubt they will find some way of screwing the money out of me.

richard_d

richard_d

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2

Can't beat it

The unlimited browsing with the current Panther plan is certainly off-peak only - as to what other offers/plans they've had I haven't a clue and I'm not sure they do...

Richard
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous phone - Nokia 6630, Previous Mobile Windows Device - IBM z50 !

Orange Issues

Orange Issues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:SPV M3100
guys, here's a link to Orange price guides, which should highlight how various charges are made. Hope this answers some of your questions

http://www1.orange.c...ice_guides.html

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
I'd have to echo the above.

- CS taking hours (no exaggeration) to answer, and being badly trained. I asked for the World Cup Unlimited bundle over the summer which the CSR assured me had been applied when i asked. Next bill - no sign of ANY changed.

- Unlimited data plan. Personally i think the devices and plans are pretty good atm. The reason i'll leave Orange at my next upgrade will be the lack of a reasonably priced unlimited data plan.

I still exist

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Also NikLP - The WAP usage is if you used the old-style dialup access. This IS still possible on any WM handset. Are you using the phone that came with your contract and with an Orange ROM? I've had similar issues in the past with non-Orange devices defaulting to WAP access, its still paid per min afaik!

I still exist

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil

I've got a bloody complaint alright, having just received my first bill since getting the """""unlimited""""" bandwidth installed on my contract.

I'll assume despite the slightly fuzzy image that its impact will be no less dramatic. I'm absolutely fuming and now I've got to try and get the money back from the idiots who don't know that WAP and INTERNET are the same thing. Why the hell are they measuring these differently, and how the hell are we supposed to know what's what, if it's called "Orange World Browsing"?

IDIOTS!!

The way I understand OWU is that it is unlimited EXCEPT when a black cat is within 20 yards of you OR the wind is blowing from the South East except on Thursdays when it's the North West.

I could be wrong.....

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

The way I understand OWU is that it is unlimited EXCEPT when a black cat is within 20 yards of you OR the wind is blowing from the South East except on Thursdays when it's the North West.

I could be wrong.....

Yes, but it was a Blue Moon, and I was wearing the correct garters!

To you foolish detractors above, go read the THIRTY PAGE thread on the matter HERE - more specifically (in relation to my previous comments above), this post.

I have contacted Orange (Premier) and they THINK it was an error, but they're not sure. Either way the bill doesn't look right... but I will hopefully getting my money back.

In light of the problems I've had, should I be disabling one of my connections? I've got Orange World containing 'Orange GPRS/WAP' and 'Orange Internet', but what's the difference? It's set up on auto pick. PM me if this is too off topic, thanks.

Edited by NikLP, 11 October 2006 - 12:51 PM.

benzo

benzo

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
This may not be constructive criticism, but I'm so glad I left Orange.

I was an O customer for 10 years. For the last 5 years, I was a big spender.

Did O reward me? NOPE! People joining O on low end contracts were getting better deals than me.

Furthermore, the customer service people were useless. I got all my Orange network information from the Modaco website. I would get a different answer from the CS people... no consistency whatsoever.

And the data charges were criminal!

I have now cut my phone bill from approximately £120 a month with O to £45 (inclusive of my Web-n-Walk) a month with T-mobile. It's so refreshing to get a good deal, surf on 3G without worrying about data charges and have a great phone that was competitively priced considering the cheap contract I took out with them.

Mr Orange, you're going to have to do a lot more than just pick up on a few issues and "feed them back" to headquarters. O is a sinking ship that requires a complete about turn in marketing, product portfolio, pricing and people management.

Abandon ship!

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
AFAIK "Orange Issues" is not the official replacement for "Mr Orange"

Please correct me if I'm wrong

richard_d

richard_d

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2

guys, here's a link to Orange price guides, which should highlight how various charges are made. Hope this answers some of your questions
http://www1.orange.c...ice_guides.html

No mention of the Orange World Unlimited either in present or discontinued plans/services as far as I can see.

Richard
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous phone - Nokia 6630, Previous Mobile Windows Device - IBM z50 !

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

No mention of the Orange World Unlimited either in present or discontinued plans/services as far as I can see.

Hell's Bells...! IT'S NOT ON ANY LISTS, that's why no-one has got the damn plan apart from a few!

We lucky few...

Orange Issues

Orange Issues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

AFAIK "Orange Issues" is not the official replacement for "Mr Orange"

Please correct me if I'm wrong

yes that is correct. :-) Mr O is still very much Mr O!

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

IDIOTS!!

Not the first person to report a problem with OWU Nik and I will guarantee not the last. The fact no one in OCS even knew the product existed, I was given a multitude of different explanations as to whether it was full internet or WAP only or what this represented and O do not mail out a contract stating T&C's when you upgrade did not fill me with one iota of confidence and helped push me over to TMob. So far, so very happy.

Orange Issues

Orange Issues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Oops. Next!

please read all - check your preferred connection on the phone before connecting.

WAP

What is it?

Short for the Wireless Application Protocol, a secure specification that allows users to access information via mobile phones.
WAP is not the internet. (Although some handsets do have additional capability to allow internet sites to be viewed).

WAP is the standard for how content from the Internet is filtered for mobile communications.
Ericsson, Nokia, Motorola and unwired planet(now phone.com) founded the WAP forum in 1997. The first WAP phone on orange was the Nokia 7110e and was launched in 1999.

How does it work?

WAP uses WML (Wireless Mark-up Language) which is the format in which the information will be displayed on the screen. This is supported by almost every mobile phone browser around the world HTML (Hyper Text Mark-up Language) is what computers use when displaying internet pages.

There are 2 methods to connect to WAP.

CSD

This is when the customer’s handset dials into the WAP server to receive information. This is often referred to as Dial-up or GSM (global systems for mobile communications).
When using CSD to connect to Orange World the dial up number would show on the screen as ‘+447973100500’
The phone line is engaged, as if you are on a call

GPRS

Instead of a dial up connection information is sent over the network in small packets of information.
Rather than using 1 dedicated channel or line, GPRS is split into ‘packets’ and then re-assembled when received at the customers handset
Customers can receive voice calls whilst in a GPRS data session meaning for example, that they could take a call and rejoin a WAP session on the page they left
How much does it cost?

Using CSD the session is charged per second. This will be charged according to the WAP cost on the customers talk plan

GPRS is charged according to the amount of data transferred during the session. This will be charged according to GPRS bundle.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
With all due respect Orange Issues - we know the definitions but do Orange?
Orange GPRS/WAP' and 'Orange Internet' are both GPRS connections and not CSD. OWU specifically says WAP only or Orange World Only but no details of which connection to use or what the differences are, no one uses WAP unless they have a very old phone and can't use http!

What are the terms of OWU? Why do some people get it and others not? What is included and what isn't?

The answers to these questions would probably help.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

xrchris

xrchris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
I have used Orange for many years and never had a problem with CS always managed to get through within a few minutes and on the 2 occasions my phone (K750i) broke down i was couriered a replacement next day. This damn impressed me as never had such a good service from any company i have ever dealt with in the past.

However, i have now left Orange for TMob as they were blitzed bt the package i got through them. Vario II for £29.99 on Flext 35 WnW. I couldnt say no.

Everytime my contract with Orange has come up for renewal i have moved to another provider as Orange refused to match it on every occasion.

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
This is guess work, but makes sense to me and seems like it's probably how Orange do it: ...

WAP usage is anything that goes through the wap APN. How you get billed will depend on your tariff, and whether you have an off peak bundle.

'Internet' will be anything that goes through the internet APN.

What orange should do, and their staff should know, is describe the services (Such as email or browsing) and crucially which APN that service uses.

The fact that they don't/can't/won't do this clearly, for those that can understand this info, suggests that they are either trying to mislead people or just aren't trying to be clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users