105 replies to this topic

yrreP

yrreP

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

CSD

This is when the customer’s handset dials into the WAP server to receive information. This is often referred to as Dial-up or GSM (global systems for mobile communications).
When using CSD to connect to Orange World the dial up number would show on the screen as ‘+447973100500’
The phone line is engaged, as if you are on a call

Using CSD the session is charged per second. This will be charged according to the WAP cost on the customers talk plan

I had heard a rumour that Orange had switched of CSD anyway...

I may have to test this tomorrow

:rolleyes:

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
I had errors on my data charges once and like NikLP's bill they made no sense whatsoever.

Nik used 83Mb of his OWU bundle. In data charges he has been charged for 90Mb of WAP and a few Mb of Orange Internet. If OWU relates to WAP data he shouldn't be ccharged for that or if it is all GPRS data then no data charges should appear. The only way to get things to work as billed is if he has got OUW off peak but that is not mentioned in the T&C's, IIRC.

As I say none of the numbers added up on one of my data bills but since they keep no record of access times and the like it was impossible to say what had or hadn't been fairly charged.

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond
As someone else said - make sure your connection uses the orangeinternet APN. That will avoid any wap charges.

This whole issue highlights that different parts of O use the term WAP differently.

Touch HD runnign Dutty's latest rom

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Devices:Touch HD
  • Twitter:@NikLP

I had errors on my data charges once and like NikLP's bill they made no sense whatsoever.

Nik used 83Mb of his OWU bundle. In data charges he has been charged for 90Mb of WAP and a few Mb of Orange Internet. If OWU relates to WAP data he shouldn't be ccharged for that or if it is all GPRS data then no data charges should appear. The only way to get things to work as billed is if he has got OUW off peak but that is not mentioned in the T&C's, IIRC.

As I say none of the numbers added up on one of my data bills but since they keep no record of access times and the like it was impossible to say what had or hadn't been fairly charged.

Well... it's to do with this, but I don't know what caused it. This is the (horrifically concise) reading from my gprs monitoring software for 9am to 6pm on the day in question.

(yyyy|m|dd|hr|up?|down?|summat else)
2006|9|22|9|222251|179800|42451
2006|9|22|10|75034|51959|23075
2006|9|22|11|34691|19683|15008
2006|9|22|12|7703224|7395877|307347
2006|9|22|13|8637798|8385255|252543
2006|9|22|14|140285|62637|77648
2006|9|22|17|234965|178658|56307
2006|9|22|18|126929|96624|30305

As you can see the data peaks 'somewhat' during the hours of 12-14:00. God only knows where it came from. Their software says I was connected like five times simultaneously or something?!

I hope it wasn't me doing anything outside the T&C's... I can't see how it would be that though? (let me know if you think it is though for god's sake!!)

Edited by NikLP, 12 October 2006 - 03:50 PM.

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Devices:Touch HD
  • Twitter:@NikLP

As someone else said - make sure your connection uses the orangeinternet APN. That will avoid any wap charges.

This whole issue highlights that different parts of O use the term WAP differently.

Are you suggesting deleting the connection 'Orange GPRS WAP' and leaving 'Orange Internet'?
The APN names are different, but the unit (out of the box) connects automatically to 'Orange GPRS WAP'!

I don't know if this is the problem or what, but I used NoData last night to disable the WAP APN and switched GPRS monitoring over to the Internet connection.

I suppose it would help if Orange had a single frickin' iota of a clue about this themselves...

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
In terms of this thread I guess the big gripe is the lack of a transparent, cheap 'unlimited' data package on O. Given that a year ago I can barely think of anyone who was on TMob and now many people upgrading to a data device have moved operator this is definitely haemorageing your customers. Given that many people would consider even 100Mb 'unlimited' in terms of their general mobile access O should really be able to provide this AT LEAST as a match to W&W.

drummer

drummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

Are you suggesting deleting the connection 'Orange GPRS WAP' and leaving 'Orange Internet'?
The APN names are different, but the unit (out of the box) connects automatically to 'Orange GPRS WAP'!

I don't know if this is the problem or what, but I used NoData last night to disable the WAP APN and switched GPRS monitoring over to the Internet connection.

I suppose it would help if Orange had a single frickin' iota of a clue about this themselves...

Before I left O for T-Mob I was on the open access plan which gave me unlimited "wap" access for £4 pm.

I found that changing the APN in all profiles to "orangewap" gave me unrestricted internet access in any guise, including as a modem. I did have to change my laptop settings to use APN "orangewap" as well.

When I received my bill it always listed "Orange Internet" as 0 mb used and all my actual usage was listed as "Orange WAP" and I was never charged for any data use whatsoever, other than the £4 open access charge.

Might be worth a try for the OUW plan.

Edited by drummer, 12 October 2006 - 05:05 PM.

RT_Spruce

RT_Spruce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The point blank refusal to arrange a replacement or repair when a fault develops after 6 months. By law it is Orange's responsibility to do this but tghe supervisor I spoke to last week claimed that was not the case despite me reading the law verbatim from the DTI website. I am currently stuck with a C600 with a white screen (the 2nd time this has happened) and Orange won't do anything & HTC say it's for Orange to deal with(quite correctly). My only options appear to be claim on my phone insurance at a cost of £30 or just accept I have an unusuable phone and live with it.

Fortunately my contract is up in December and I will be leaving after this shocking piece of Customer service

Got exactly the same problem with an m1500. Orange tell me to talk to HTC and HTC tell me it's for Orange to deal with, or I could pay Orange £100 for emergency insurance and have a new phone the next day.

I just don't know what to do, I now have a phone that is still under warranty but no one will take responsibility for it. Any ideas anyone?

Also if this is the way Orange treat a loyal business customer of 10 years then it's probably time for a change.

hunyango_uk

hunyango_uk

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Devices:mda vario II :)
i'm not going to say anyhing, my contract is due and cancel the number. (sigh) haaaaaaaaaaaaa...............

thank you, no more problems for orange. just glad i'm off orange and jump to tmo, me and my wife are with tmo now.

"don't be deceived by the looks, try to look under the hood."

"I love my MDA Vario and glad i upgrade to Vario II. Don't You?!!!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
Just posted this in the Hermes section but would love to know the answer

"BTW, Orange charge you for leaving! I don't know the exact cost but as well as paying off the remaining month of that contract they also levy a fee. If you happen to transfer your number before day 30 of the PAC validity then they charge you on a per day basis. Bloody annoying and I would love to know the justifcation for it! In fact, I think I will ask Orange Issues."

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
You have to give 30 days notice -if you use the PAC before the 30 days is up then you have to pay the remains of the 30 days. Isn't that all this is?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

You have to give 30 days notice -if you use the PAC before the 30 days is up then you have to pay the remains of the 30 days. Isn't that all this is?

No. Thats what I had assumed would happen, but I contacted them on the 1st day of my billing cycle and paid off the remaining months of my contract. So, I had paid my contract for the coming month on my previous monthly bill (line rental one month in advance) and all subsequent months (seperately by Switch) and I ended up PACing my number after about 12 days but on my subsequent bill there was a seperate charge Orange Number Transfer or something like that.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
I didn't think they aere allowed to charge! I never have been from other ops.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
I was surprised also! Someone else posted about this at about the time I was PACing my numbers but I assumed the same as you, that it was simply the cost of paying off your remaining contract, but there was definitely an additional charge. I will try and dig up the bill at some point.

Orange Issues

Orange Issues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:SPV M3100

Just posted this in the Hermes section but would love to know the answer

"BTW, Orange charge you for leaving! I don't know the exact cost but as well as paying off the remaining month of that contract they also levy a fee. If you happen to transfer your number before day 30 of the PAC validity then they charge you on a per day basis. Bloody annoying and I would love to know the justifcation for it! In fact, I think I will ask Orange Issues."

dr who, this is how it works:

every single customer with a contract mobile has to give 30 days notice to cancel the agreement.

When the customer asks for the PAC, this is the start of the 30 day notice period.

If the new S.P should arrange a porting date, say 15 days after the customer asked for the PAC, then even though the number will move to the new network on this date, the customer still needs to pay for the other 15 days line rental under the terms of his agreement.

Whatever the date the customer ports out, they will always be charged 30 days line rental, starting from the date of their original request.

hope this helps

crazyc

crazyc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Devices:O2 XDA Serra, SPV M3100
Rec'd my first bill after having Orange World browsing £8 on my account. Used a total of 25 or so MB, of which 24.5 or so was within my 1Gig allowance. As the phone has always chosen its own connections, I phoned Orange to enquire why the remaining bit was not part of my 1 gig allowance. Now I suspect that the answer is already stated earlier in the post, in that I only use IE and email. I assume that IE uses the connection that is within the allowance, and the email (minimal use) is connecting via the internet or whatever the other option was.

But anyway. called Orange to ask. Nice foreign lady on the end of the phone eventually asked if she could call me back after a chat with the data team. True to her word, five minutes later she did. The data team told her they are getting a lot of queries like this and it is an error on the bill. She said she would send the bill for recalculation and it would take about a month.

I really do fail to see how they can try and bill me for the additional data if they cannot tell me when it was, why it is different or anything like that. None of it is CSD as this shows on the bill as a data call (from memory) and I had none of that. I eaagerly await both my recalculated bill (they will pobably try and charge me for the lot!) and my next bill. Am trying to change the email to use the same APN as IE.

----------------------------------
HTC One X due to arrive
Smartphone History:
Vodafone HTC Desire Z
Vodafone UK Touch Pro 2
O2 XDA Serra
O2 XDA Stellar
Orange M3100

crazyc

crazyc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Devices:O2 XDA Serra, SPV M3100

Rec'd my first bill after having Orange World browsing £8 on my account. Used a total of 25 or so MB, of which 24.5 or so was within my 1Gig allowance. As the phone has always chosen its own connections, I phoned Orange to enquire why the remaining bit was not part of my 1 gig allowance. Now I suspect that the answer is already stated earlier in the post, in that I only use IE and email. I assume that IE uses the connection that is within the allowance, and the email (minimal use) is connecting via the internet or whatever the other option was.

But anyway. called Orange to ask. Nice foreign lady on the end of the phone eventually asked if she could call me back after a chat with the data team. True to her word, five minutes later she did. The data team told her they are getting a lot of queries like this and it is an error on the bill. She said she would send the bill for recalculation and it would take about a month.

I really do fail to see how they can try and bill me for the additional data if they cannot tell me when it was, why it is different or anything like that. None of it is CSD as this shows on the bill as a data call (from memory) and I had none of that. I eaagerly await both my recalculated bill (they will pobably try and charge me for the lot!) and my next bill. Am trying to change the email to use the same APN as IE.

Have now set both options to conenct via Orange World (although this is set to auto pick its conection from the two orange ones).

----------------------------------
HTC One X due to arrive
Smartphone History:
Vodafone HTC Desire Z
Vodafone UK Touch Pro 2
O2 XDA Serra
O2 XDA Stellar
Orange M3100

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

dr who, this is how it works:

every single customer with a contract mobile has to give 30 days notice to cancel the agreement.

When the customer asks for the PAC, this is the start of the 30 day notice period.

If the new S.P should arrange a porting date, say 15 days after the customer asked for the PAC, then even though the number will move to the new network on this date, the customer still needs to pay for the other 15 days line rental under the terms of his agreement.

Whatever the date the customer ports out, they will always be charged 30 days line rental, starting from the date of their original request.

hope this helps

Hmmmm, I was fairly sure that I ordered the PAC on day one of my bill cycle, in which case I have already paid the line rental for that month in the previous months bill? I am going to check this and see, although made a bit more difficult by buying one handset out of contract four months early!

andyfitter

andyfitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Devices:M3100

Just had my first full bill with OWU and it makes little sense too. Here are the selected hilights...

Orange World Browsing : Unlimited browsing
Megabytes available at beginning of period 1000.0000
Inclusive megabytes used 100.5347
Service Plan megabytes next period 1000.0000
Megabytes available next period 1000.0000

data charges
Originating network Place called Call class Megabytes Cost
Orange Orange WAP Data 0.1253 0.000
Orange Orange Internet Data 105.7019 3.300

This seems to say I've used 100 or 105 MB, depending upon which part you believe. I just spoke to premier CS and their explanation was:

"OWU is only for browsing the Orange World portal site, and that explains the 100.5437 MB. I also managed to use 105.7019MB off portal, connected to the internet, and I was billed £3.30 for that". when she realised how cheap that was she said I should keep quiet....

None of this makes any sense whatsoever, and I'm now living in fear that my next bill will be somerthing ridiculous.

Why didn't I go to T-Mobile when I had the chance!

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Why didn't I go to T-Mobile when I had the chance!

The offer didn't fill me with confidence and I have had problems with Orange data before - they had applied two data products to one handset which is apparently 'impossible' and I hadn't noticed for about 18 months with a total cost of about £100. They could only refund me the previous three months charges apparently. They wouldn't add it to my Orange Select 750 accounts anyway, since they weren't Panther accounts but it doesn't seem to have stopped some OCS saying that they HAVE added it to some customers identical accounts.

Who knows with O these days?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users