72 replies to this topic

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Milestone

hi, off subject slightly but i am thinking of getting a p525, my question is: i dont want to use a case to protect my phones because of the size. is the asus p525 screen protected enough with the screen proctectors alone. i just cant imagine putting my ipaq with nothing less than hard protection in my pocket. thank you. andy.

All PocketPC phones (ones with touchscreen) have delicate screens - they have no protective glass above screen, as usual (non-touchscren) smartphones do.

So I wouldnt recommend to put it in same the pocket with the keys for example.

Edited by Ingvarr, 02 November 2006 - 08:22 AM.

zen123

zen123

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
OK the Asus is a great device. Does everything I need it to & is the most stable PPC phone I've owned to date. But its not all roses.

I'm having a hard time getting extra chargers for it. Although it uses the standard mini usb interface none of my existing chargers work. I have a brace of usb wall adapters at home & at work but none of them will charge the phone. My 3 different cigarette adapters for the car don't either so I can't use the sat nav I've loaded as it drains the battery too quickly. I've ordered a usb charging kit off ebay which claims to be for the Asus so hopefully by this time next week I'll be happy again.

The other problem I'm having is when dragging & dropping files too & from the phone over activesync. Sometimes when I drag a file to the phones memory (or the minisd card) I get an error message in that it either says there's not enough memory or incompatible file. It doesn't happen with all files & not all the time but it does it enough to be a big annoyance.
The only way around this is to revert to usb mass storage mode (great feature that's built into the phone) or take the minisd card out & use a card reader.

My Phones :

LG Optimus 2X

Iphone 4

Samsung Galaxy Tab

skontald

skontald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Asus p525

OK the Asus is a great device. Does everything I need it to & is the most stable PPC phone I've owned to date. But its not all roses.

I'm having a hard time getting extra chargers for it. Although it uses the standard mini usb interface none of my existing chargers work. I have a brace of usb wall adapters at home & at work but none of them will charge the phone. My 3 different cigarette adapters for the car don't either so I can't use the sat nav I've loaded as it drains the battery too quickly. I've ordered a usb charging kit off ebay which claims to be for the Asus so hopefully by this time next week I'll be happy again.

The other problem I'm having is when dragging & dropping files too & from the phone over activesync. Sometimes when I drag a file to the phones memory (or the minisd card) I get an error message in that it either says there's not enough memory or incompatible file. It doesn't happen with all files & not all the time but it does it enough to be a big annoyance.
The only way around this is to revert to usb mass storage mode (great feature that's built into the phone) or take the minisd card out & use a card reader.

hi everybody, I bought a p525 a few days ago, and here is my first feedback

PLUS
- speed! fantastic, btw is first in every speed contest
- screen, brightness of the screen
- quality of the camera: outstanding!

MINUS

- a bit heavy
- I am italian and there is no italian t9 (I have a french version, with only french and languages), I tried to install it following modaco and others posts but nothing worked out for the moment
- a BIG MINUS: in the phone application, you cannot select a name with the t9 phone keyboard!!!! this is a pity, because this means that you cannot select a contact with one-hand. I am trying now some additional software to do this, like Vito Quick Contact (which allow you to find a name with the number pad but is not quick at all!) and FingerClix (which is working fine but you use the screen to find the name, no number pad!)

here you are, if you have any idea for the installation of other t9 languages, thank you!

srj

Edited by skontald, 04 November 2006 - 05:22 PM.

zen123

zen123

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

- a BIG MINUS: in the phone application, you cannot select a name with the t9 phone keyboard!!!! this is a pity, because this means that you cannot select a contact with one-hand. I am trying now some additional software to do this, like Vito Quick Contact (which allow you to find a name with the number pad but is not quick at all!) and FingerClix (which is working fine but you use the screen to find the name, no number pad!)
here you are, if you have any idea for the installation of other t9 languages, thank you!

srj

I use the HTC speed dial application. You can download on the xda-developers site. Works a treat.

My Phones :

LG Optimus 2X

Iphone 4

Samsung Galaxy Tab

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
... or you can use EZDial2 for same effect.

skontald

skontald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

... or you can use EZDial2 for same effect.

Ingvarr, thank you for the reply, but EZDial2 is not working with keyboard as well!

srj

skontald

skontald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I use the HTC speed dial application. You can download on the xda-developers site. Works a treat.

Zen123, thank you for the reply.

I tried a solution published by some russians friends and it is working very well!

Can you post the link to the HTC speed dial application so that I can try the original one?

thanks,

srj

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Ingvarr, thank you for the reply, but EZDial2 is not working with keyboard as well!

srj

The last beta is working with keys.

HTC SmartDial is not a stand-alone application, it originally ships only in ROM of HTC-made devices. All distribs around here made by people who extracted the needed files from ROM. There are a lot of different versions, look for one that suits you best.

Edited by Ingvarr, 06 November 2006 - 08:10 AM.

sloper

sloper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:ASUS P525

HTC SmartDial is not a stand-alone application, it originally ships only in ROM of HTC-made devices. All distribs around here made by people who extracted the needed files from ROM. There are a lot of different versions, look for one that suits you best.

hi all owners Asus p525 PDA phones,

please if you want, post here some camera pictures from Asus p525

I want buy this phone, but I dont see camera pictures

many thanks

regards
sloper

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

sloper

sloper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
thanks man,

Nice Photos :)

I think that Asus P525 make best photos on 2.0 Mpix phones

skontald

skontald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thanks man,

Nice Photos :)

I think that Asus P525 make best photos on 2.0 Mpix phones

I totally agree! here is a B&W picture from South Of Italy!

srj

Attached Files

sloper

sloper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
please some pics on street, auto, building.

Maybe I buy this phones.

I need PDA with good camera

Thnaks in advance and sorry for bad english :)

Hookani

Hookani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hmm, it looks like it doesnt see the GPRS network for some reason. So I suppose you need to get the "G" icon before any settings can have effect...

Why it doesnt see it, I have no idea - first time I hear about this problem. Maybe your US cell operator have some standard differences in particular in GPRS implementation?

I suggest you try to do a technical inquiry using ASUS tech support site and see if its a known problem, or at least notify them it exists.

Well I figure it's just a problem with TMobile as I tried my unit with a Cingular US SIM card and everything worked perfectly, got the 'G' and was able to connect to their GPRS system. What the problem is with TMobile I do not know and nobody seems to know the answer. TMobile tells me to talk to ASUS and ASUS tells me talk to TMobile, nobody knows what to do.

One guy at ASUS thinks that maybe the unit needs some special hardware or software to work on US networks and one guy at TMoblie thinks maybe it's an authentication problem (Tmobile uses CHAP and not PAP). Not sure if any of those ideas are true since my unit works on Cingular's network and my old Imate JAM was set up with PAP authentication and it worked o.k. so I don't know what to believe.

I suspect maybe it's a registry setting somewhere that may enable the unit to pick up TMobile's network but I'm just grasping at straws since I've run out of ideas on how to get it to work with TMobile and nobody at TMobile or ASUS US or Australia can figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ho'okani

skontald

skontald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Ingvarr,

did you find out how to add a T9 language to the p525? I have the dlls, what is the procedure?

thanks,
srj

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
Attached - the cab that I've made to add Russian T9 language.

You can modify it to include other languages you need.

You will need T9yourlanguageLdb.dll and T9ImeRes.Dll.yourlangcode.mui for new language.
Not all dll versions work, I've looked over several from different WM5 smartphones until I came over "proper" ones.

Also you will need to modify
"HKLM\T9 Input Method\MUI\Languages" "Available" value to include new language codes,
"HKLM\T9 Input Method\LDBs" to include new LDB with lang code
and "HKLM\MUI\Available" to include code with language description

Attached Files

moonqsai

moonqsai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Well I figure it's just a problem with TMobile as I tried my unit with a Cingular US SIM card and everything worked perfectly, got the 'G' and was able to connect to their GPRS system. What the problem is with TMobile I do not know and nobody seems to know the answer. TMobile tells me to talk to ASUS and ASUS tells me talk to TMobile, nobody knows what to do.

One guy at ASUS thinks that maybe the unit needs some special hardware or software to work on US networks and one guy at TMoblie thinks maybe it's an authentication problem (Tmobile uses CHAP and not PAP). Not sure if any of those ideas are true since my unit works on Cingular's network and my old Imate JAM was set up with PAP authentication and it worked o.k. so I don't know what to believe.

I suspect maybe it's a registry setting somewhere that may enable the unit to pick up TMobile's network but I'm just grasping at straws since I've run out of ideas on how to get it to work with TMobile and nobody at TMobile or ASUS US or Australia can figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ho'okani

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=5]
I am currently using P525 in US too, I can grap gprs in some area only, this is weird. I am sure all settings are fine since I can conncet to it (if G is present), but whenever the G is not shown, there is a triangle thing instead...do you have that too?

Hookani

Hookani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=5]
I am currently using P525 in US too, I can grap gprs in some area only, this is weird. I am sure all settings are fine since I can conncet to it (if G is present), but whenever the G is not shown, there is a triangle thing instead...do you have that too?

Yes, I get the triangle also. I don't get the 'G' at all but I'm in Hawai'i so I can only go so far to see if it's different in other areas. It does work fine on the Cingular network though.

Ho'okani

moonqsai

moonqsai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes, I get the triangle also. I don't get the 'G' at all but I'm in Hawai'i so I can only go so far to see if it's different in other areas. It does work fine on the Cingular network though.

Ho'okani

I think what happening to you, is excatly what happening to me, you are right, Cingular is work perfectly fine on this phone, G all the time and anywhere, but TMo..for some reason..is not really working on this particular phone, and I know the sim card is getting G on another phone, so...I am totally lost now..~~~ I just call TMo again to see if they are able to do anything or at least to let me know what is the problem, but i got cut off twice...m*f*er....

endura

endura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:null
i have been using my P525 for few days now. Some question,

1. selecting CPU to turbo will drain my battery faster?

2. why some time when I capture picture "Capture abort" message appear?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users