Media 10 library losing storage card music

Guest AndrewH13

Guest AndrewH13

Hi,

I have a 2GB scandisc MicroSD in Vario II and have loaded a few programs, some docs, but mostly mp3 albums. Every few days, WM10 loses the albums from its Library, and sticks when trying Update Library.

I reformatted card and added album by album, then file by file, looking for a corrupt file, but everthing is then ok for a further few days, then they all become inaccessable again. Taking card out, updating library with none, then re-inserting card still sticks every time adding music to library. But always, tracks can be played via File Manager but only ONE by ONE. Anyway of playing more than one track from File Manager?

So I copy all files from card to desktop, reformat card, add back same files and its ok.... for 2 or 3 days!

Any idea what is wrong?

Guest Confused Stu

OK, apologies for asking the dumb question that you would already have thought of! Now I've got the disclaimer out of the way :rolleyes:

Every few days my Media Player seems to change from displaying the songs on the Storage Card to only showing those on the phone. Don't know why, it just does! To fix it, you just have to go onto the Library screen, click Menu,Library,Storage Card.

Still a pain in the backside though. :(

Assuming yours isn't suffering from the same problem as mine, don't know - good luck!

Andrew - if this happens, you need to delete the folder "\Storage Card\MSMETADATA". Then run WMP and Update Library. You will need to have "View all files" switched on in File Explorer to do this. This might require SPB Pocket Plus/Resco Explorer on the unit to perform this task. Otherwise you should be able to do it via your PC, but you will probably need to actually get the card connected via USB rather than try deleting the folder thru ASync.

HTH

Guest AndrewH13
OK, apologies for asking the dumb question that you would already have thought of! Now I've got the disclaimer out of the way :rolleyes:

Every few days my Media Player seems to change from displaying the songs on the Storage Card to only showing those on the phone. Don't know why, it just does! To fix it, you just have to go onto the Library screen, click Menu,Library,Storage Card.

Still a pain in the backside though. :(

Assuming yours isn't suffering from the same problem as mine, don't know - good luck!

When WMP loses Card access, Libary only shows Device (till card re-formatted).

Thanks anyway.

Edited by AndrewH13

Guest AndrewH13
Andrew - if this happens, you need to delete the folder "\Storage Card\MSMETADATA". Then run WMP and Update Library. You will need to have "View all files" switched on in File Explorer to do this. This might require SPB Pocket Plus/Resco Explorer on the unit to perform this task. Otherwise you should be able to do it via your PC, but you will probably need to actually get the card connected via USB rather than try deleting the folder thru ASync.

HTH

Thanks HTH. I can see that folder in ActiveSync Explore (showing all files) and will try deleting next time Albums disappear from WMP.

If this cures it, is the MSMETADATA file getting corrupted every few days, rather than the card itself faulty?

Does WMP create this file each time you Update Library? (When I update it FINDS all files but cannot ADD them)

If it was the card, I would have thought I would not be able to see files and play via File Manager.

Guest AndrewH13
AndrewH13 Im having the exact same problem as you. Hope we can get to the bottom of it soon.

Cheers S

Have been able to delete MSMETADATA folder from card directly from within VarioII, then a WMP Update Library re-installs them. But why does this keep happening? Where is the corruption? Glad I'm not alone!

Hi I tried deleting the MSMETADATA folder an it fixed things for me too. I dont understand why this is happening though. Its begining to annoy me now.

Cheers S

Guest AndrewH13
Hi I tried deleting the MSMETADATA folder an it fixed things for me too. I dont understand why this is happening though. Its begining to annoy me now.

Cheers S

After doing this it still lost albums later. I have reset whole device and will see if problem persists.

Guest keffordt

I have found this only happens when I take out the microSD then put it back in. My fix has been to stop taking the card out (I kept showing people how small a card you could get 2Gb onto).

Guest AndrewH13
I have found this only happens when I take out the microSD then put it back in. My fix has been to stop taking the card out (I kept showing people how small a card you could get 2Gb onto).

It happens to me without taking card out. Unless it loses contact as sometimes have to put it in a few times for it to be accepted. But if that was the case, files wouldnt play one at a time from File Manager.

Guest tboy2000

I had same problem and then realised there was a simple menu option that solved problem for me. On the Library Screen, press right soft key to access menu, click on library (4), choose (2) Storage Card. Now it will use storage card as default viewer of files.

Simple I know but I totally missed it ans some others here may have too.

Guest Fredde87

tboy2000 no that is not what their problem is. The problem they are talking about that I also suffer from is activesync crashing the library. I get this problem when I try to sync music from the different PCs, abort a music sync or when I manually copy files to the music folder on the memory card without going via the sync in activesync. I havent found a solution for it, took me ages to figure out it was the MSMETADATA folder. I deleted on thing at a time on the memory card when I was on an two hours train ride.

Guest AndrewH13
Thank you for all of you who posted the solution. This had been driving me crazy and is now solved........much appreciated!

FG

Not sure we have full solution, deleting a folder several times a week to play albums is not satisfactory. However, since I reset Vario a few days ago, it has behaved so far......

Guest thenonoman
Not sure we have full solution, deleting a folder several times a week to play albums is not satisfactory. However, since I reset Vario a few days ago, it has behaved so far......

Media player 10 drove me nuts. I could never get the buggy thing to work. I switched to TCPMP. It is free, plays more formats, has a better playlist system, and is more stable. With the right tweaking, you can even get it to play .aac and .m4v files made for ipods. While I am on this topic, the music transfer feature from WMP 10 on the desktop is SLOW. I use Musicmatch (the free version works for this) to recode my music from 128 kps to 32 kbs. When I play the recoded music through headphones, I can't tell a difference, though I can when I run it through my home stereo. I can then fit four times the music on my device. I have 1500 songs and two movies, as well as podcasts and other documents between my two 1gb cards. You can convert them in batches. Converting takes less time than the transfer from WMP. I then take the card out of my device and use a USB card reader to transfer the music. It takes WAY less time to transfer than with the card in the device, even if you don't recode. This does not work with DRM though. If you have .wma files, you are stuck with the slow transfer. I have been running TCPMP for almost a year and I have never had any issues with it. Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

HTH

Yeah this works.... Perfect!

Guest AndrewH13
Media player 10 drove me nuts. I could never get the buggy thing to work. I switched to TCPMP. It is free, plays more formats, has a better playlist system, and is more stable. With the right tweaking, you can even get it to play .aac and .m4v files made for ipods. While I am on this topic, the music transfer feature from WMP 10 on the desktop is SLOW. I use Musicmatch (the free version works for this) to recode my music from 128 kps to 32 kbs. When I play the recoded music through headphones, I can't tell a difference, though I can when I run it through my home stereo. I can then fit four times the music on my device. I have 1500 songs and two movies, as well as podcasts and other documents between my two 1gb cards. You can convert them in batches. Converting takes less time than the transfer from WMP. I then take the card out of my device and use a USB card reader to transfer the music. It takes WAY less time to transfer than with the card in the device, even if you don't recode. This does not work with DRM though. If you have .wma files, you are stuck with the slow transfer. I have been running TCPMP for almost a year and I have never had any issues with it. Just an idea.

I always use a card reader to transfer mp3s, its MP10 on the device that has problems. TCPMP doesnt easily work with the Vario and has now been discontinued. Its replacement Coreplayer also does not support the Vario II's processor at the moment, although they are trying to work on a fix.

I always use a card reader to transfer mp3s, its MP10 on the device that has problems. TCPMP doesnt easily work with the Vario and has now been discontinued. Its replacement Coreplayer also does not support the Vario II's processor at the moment, although they are trying to work on a fix.

Got the same problem here and I believe (in my case) it only appears when I accidentally press the camera button... (don't really use camera much..)

• 3 months later...
Guest Spunkyboy

I had a similar problem which I was initially fixing by deleting the MSMETA folder (whatever) as described above.

However, that method stopped working for me today but I still managed to fix it by another way:

I went into the 'library' section of the WMP and then ejected the storage card, waited a few secs, then just put it back in again. It immediately asked if I wanted to update the media from the storage card.

Hope that might be of some use to some of you!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sandstorm

Great - thought I was alone on this one and tearing my hair out. Deleting the file as mentioned worked for me - lets see how long it lasts.

Thanks guys.

;)