The official HTC P3300 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Later this week, I will be posting my review of the HTC P3300 Pocket PC. :rolleyes:

In advance of this, this thread is an opportunity for you to ask me anything at all about the device, and i'll try and answer it!

My first thoughts on the device (literally 10 mins after arrival)...

- Looks good, nice and light

- Amazingly sensitive GPS, just walked right round the house and been completely unable to lose the fix

- Trackball is weird, will take some getting used to

- HTC version has WiFi, yay

- Roller feels a bit loose on this unit, again, will take some getting used to

- Nice to see soft keys, start / OK keys and a dedicated IE / nav key

- No Phone Pad!

- AKU3, CF2 in ROM

- No scroll wheel, boo, got quite used to that on my Hermes

- Full size stylus

Enjoy! :(

P

P3300.jpg

Guest The Doctor
No PhonePad as in no T9.

Of course it has the dialling pad...

No 3G.

P

I'm taking that cameraware works well with the intergrated GPS then :rolleyes:

How fast is it though? GPS and WiFi yet it only has a 200MHz OMAP 850? Sounds a bit underpowerd to me :( Whats the speed like when using the device?

Phil

Guest Paul (MVP)

In use, it feels really smooth... I can't really tell the difference in general use between it and my Hermes, which is very surprising!

P

PS Yes, CamerAware rocks with the integrated GPS :rolleyes:

Some websites state that the BT COM ports are locked down to TomTom which means that no other GPS application can be used. Is that true?

Somehow, i think thats incorrect.

Guest omhaigh
Some websites state that the BT COM ports are locked down to TomTom which means that no other GPS application can be used. Is that true?

The P3300 has an integrated GPS receiver, so you wouldn't need to use the BT ports with TomTom or any other sat nav software.

Paul, is TomTom on the ROM?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, that's CamerAware running on it in that picture above, my GPS app, so the port ISN'T locked down :rolleyes:

P

Well, that's CamerAware running on it in that picture above, my GPS app, so the port ISN'T locked down :rolleyes:

P

Great, thanks for clearing that up Paul. Can you try installing iGuidance (if you happen to have it) and let me know if it works well with the device?

My main concern about this is the OMAP processor. What do you have to say about that?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I do have it, I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

I think people probably get a bit too hung up on processor speed TBH... the Prophet was perfectly good IMHO, and i'm guessing they've optimised / improved things on the Artemis because it definitely feels faster.

My main concern with the device is the RollR :rolleyes:

P

Guest Dornier

How does the voicedial feature work? Do you have to train each contact like the T-Mobile Dash or SDA, or does it have a smart voice recognition program?

How does it compare to a T-mobile Dash/S620 as far as size is concerned? Is it as thin or much thicker?

How long does it take to aquire a GPS signal?

How loud is the built in speaker for GPS or phone calls?

Have you tried Skype on it?

How's the camera picture quality?

How easy is it to make a phone call while driving?

Thanks,

GP

Guest Paul (MVP)
How does the voicedial feature work? Do you have to train each contact like the T-Mobile Dash or SDA, or does it have a smart voice recognition program?

It's the usual Cyberon voice dial function, so yes, you have to train each contact.

How does it compare to a T-mobile Dash/S620 as far as size is concerned? Is it as thin or much thicker?

Excalibur - 12.8mm thick, Artemis - 16.3mm thick

How long does it take to aquire a GPS signal?

This varies of course, but with the 'QuickGPS' feature and the excellent SiRF III chipset, it performs very well indeed.

How loud is the built in speaker for GPS or phone calls?

It's quite loud :rolleyes:

Have you tried Skype on it?

No...

How's the camera picture quality?

Typically HTC... i.e. pretty average :(

How easy is it to make a phone call while driving?

Using which method?

I guess voice recognition is your best bet... it's not particularly easy I suppose.

Guest willieturnip

looks great apart from the weird dpad thingy:lol:

and a 200mhz OMAP 850 ia actually pretty fast...i mean..on my m600 it seems fine... no lag in anything really...and you can always overclock :rolleyes:

Guest andyturner

Is that the Premium version with full Tom Tom, or the taster version? The premium version costs a lot more, but I heard it was partly because they have to supply a 2gb MicroSD card for the maps. Is this the case?

Oh, and does the GPS keep a signal when it's in your pocket, or does it generally need line of sight?

Thanks!

Edited by andyturner

Guest NightFox

What do we think the prospects are of O2 releasing this in the UK? I know they have now cut their links with HTC, but as they (O2) have already announced this in Germany, does this mean they could still bring it out in the UK?

Edited by NightFox

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.