- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Xinxe

Xinxe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Update: i-mate's Norwegian support team have been in contact and have furnished me with the install files for the additional software... screenshots below!

Paul, maybe it's a stupid question, but can everybody get this software for free? And is Word or Excel installed on the SPL, or can it be installed?

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,228 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
No, and no...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

MitchellO

MitchellO

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire

after receiving it and attempting to use it, I found it awkward, slow and perhaps just too much of a culture shock after using a Pocket PC, perhaps if I was more used to Smartphones it would have been easy.

Yes I have to say Windows Mobile Smartphone is a real step back in terms of functionality. It didn't take me long after I received my imate SP5 to miss my K-JAM. I stuck with it for about 5mths before I moved back to a touchscreen device.

I am now in wait of a a Treo 750v :)

mo_sjo

mo_sjo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SIII
I currently have a SPV C550 (Tornado?).. I'm fairly happy with it but i've had it about 18 months now and want to change/upgrade.. Would you folks recommend this as an upgrade? I think the Qtek 8500 looks tacky and my other option is the HTC Mteor...

Thoughts appreciated

Thanks,
Stu :)

Samsung Galaxy SIII < Google Nexus One < HTC Rose < HTC Touch Diamond < BenQ E72 < HTC Vox < Motorola V3 < Sony Ericsson T610 < Sony Ericsson T61 < HTC Hurricane < HTC Typhoon < More phones than I care to remember!

roma0803

roma0803

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia II/Nokia N82
Owning an i-mate SP5m (Tornado ), a Qtek 8500 and an i-mate SPL I'd say, go for the 8500. Great looking set, but more important a fast phone. The SPL is also a nice phone, but with a way slower processor you will not experience it as an upgrade. Though the 8500 lacks WiFi, I experience it as a worthy successor to my Tornado.

Topic edited per forum rules

Edited by Pondrew, 06 December 2006 - 05:01 PM.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

I currently have a SPV C550 (Tornado?)..

Just a small correction, the SPV C550 is an HTC Hurricane rather then a Tornado. Main differences being the Hurricane had an older operating system (WM2003 SE), older processor, and no wifi.

mo_sjo

mo_sjo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SIII

Just a small correction, the SPV C550 is an HTC Hurricane rather then a Tornado. Main differences being the Hurricane had an older operating system (WM2003 SE), older processor, and no wifi.

.. does that mean the SPL (and/or even HTC S310) may not appear as slow as first thought compared to the C550?

Samsung Galaxy SIII < Google Nexus One < HTC Rose < HTC Touch Diamond < BenQ E72 < HTC Vox < Motorola V3 < Sony Ericsson T610 < Sony Ericsson T61 < HTC Hurricane < HTC Typhoon < More phones than I care to remember!

jp heuvel

jp heuvel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:SPL
Has anyone got any great App's foor this device? I've been playing with it since I received it this morning but the working software is hard to find.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

.. does that mean the SPL (and/or even HTC S310) may not appear as slow as first thought compared to the C550?

Maybe. All I can say for sure is that the OMAP 730 in the i-mate SPL is an older design of processor then the OMAP 750 in the SPV C550...

van_dommele

van_dommele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8300
Hey Paul,

It's worth to mention in your review that the taskmanager as to be found on the HTC/Qtek 8300 is missing. I'm using that piece of software a lot to keep it fast.
After a bit of googling I've downloaded Celetask and it works great (free space / battery info and ability of closing processes).

Rest of review is very good. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Van_Dommele

sideus

sideus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:i-mate spl

Hey Paul,

It's worth to mention in your review that the taskmanager as to be found on the HTC/Qtek 8300 is missing. I'm using that piece of software a lot to keep it fast.
After a bit of googling I've downloaded Celetask and it works great (free space / battery info and ability of closing processes).

Rest of review is very good. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Van_Dommele

Hi

the lack of a task manager is a bit dissapointing as I am afraid to say is the SPL. Got rid of my C600 and loved the compactness of the spl but it feels and looks cheap, and is notably slower than my c600 was. Thinking of a qtek 8500 is this notably faster. Dont run lots of apps just love the functionality of smartphones and hate the joystick on the c600 i had

moonshot

moonshot

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Devices:Sony Xperia Ray
Nice review Paul. It was good enough for me to rule out the SPL as a possible next phone, if it appeared soon on t-mobile.

With the key pad issue, you said
Of course, if I was a multi-tapper rather than a T9'er, I might not be so happy..
I'm glad you pointed this out because that is just not good enough.

Also, one of my gripes as you may remember from some of my other posts, is the weight of smartphones. The SPL is 7mm smaller in depth than the c600 and it has the flat keypad, yet it is only 3grams lighter than the c600.

So what is my point........................the c600 type of keypad works just fine, so why does the SPL have the flat type keypad? It's not to reduce the phones weight so it must be for looks rather than use.

Using a flat keypad i-mate have managed to create the illusion of a lighter mobile in return for a 'not so good keypad'. Unlike say Samsung who's flat key pad phones are that way for a reason........to make them much lighter.

Once again, where do c600 smartphone owners who want to upgrade go next. It seems that Microsoft have done their part creating the operating system but are being let down by the phone manufactures and network companies. Where are all the new non qwerty candybar, flip and slider smartphones that Nokia and SE and Others seem to produce so well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users