The official HTC S620 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

The build of TomTom 5.2 i've tried, which I believe is the latest, doesn't like being run in Landscape, nor the QWERTY keyboard

Is TomTom (5.2 is the actual smartphone version) although usable despite of these two restrictions?

Can you choose to run it in Portrait mode and do you get a correct display output?

Or is TT5.2 not usable at all?

The S620 would fit my needs exactly what I've heard so far but I would love to have a usable navigation software on it.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I think it should work, but in the menus it looks screwy, and address input uses the number keys in multitap... not ideal.

I hear TomTom 6 DOES work on it, though I haven't verified this yet.

P

I think it should work, but in the menus it looks screwy, and address input uses the number keys in multitap... not ideal.

I hear TomTom 6 DOES work on it, though I haven't verified this yet.

P

Is TT6 smartphone version available yet?

Guest awarner (MVP)

TomTom6 will not work properly as this is not a PocketPC.

Unfortunately TomTom are not releasing version 6 for the Smartphone at the moment. Hopefully this may change.

TomTom6 will not work properly as this is not a PocketPC.

Unfortunately TomTom are not releasing version 6 for the Smartphone at the moment. Hopefully this may change.

So I have to go with Route66 which is cheaper in addition :)

I suppose it should work on S620, because they list the Moto Q in their supported phones list and show a picture of I320 running Route 66

Has anybody experience with Route 66 on a S620?

I love mine. Bought through T-Mobile USA. The default T9 function is a pain to drop ... is there a way to lose that option in the registry?

Hold alt+space when its in xt9 mode and you can turn it off. You have to do this in a few places (email, web text field) but once you turn it off somewhere it stays off.

hth

gr

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

I've had the HTC S620 from two weeks now, and couldn't be happier. Size is superb, really pocketable - coming from a Nokia E61, an MDA Vario and a Treo 600 before that.

The OS is really snappy, almost no delays in loading things, especially once you've loaded them once in the memory. No hang-ups or resets at all. It suits my needs, I mostly use it for calls, sms, Calendar and Tasks. I don't use it for surfing the web.

The keyboard is easy to use, the buttons are equivalent in use if not better to my E61 and better than the Treo 600. And I have large hands (I wear XL sized gloves).

Battery life is amazing, I think I can get almost 3 days worth of battery out of it. One thing that I've noticed is that it slowly trickles down to 30-35% and then the rest goes by quite fast, not sure if it's just my battery still conditionning. But I am really happy with battery life.

Furthermore, as a phone it is one of the best I've had. Excellent reception, speakerphone is loud and clear (louder than the E61), easy to dial contacts (just start typing the name in the Home screen and it filters through the Address book), and the pairing with my Plantronics 640 was a breeze.

Overall, I'm ecstatic with this phone, I was expecting it to be really good reading the reviews and I'm even more impressed. For my usage it really does not miss anything. 10 out of 10.

Finally, there are always better and improved phones coming out. Just yesterday the successor to the Excalibur was rumored, plus the Samsung i600 etc. Nonetheless, this is trully an excellent phone that you can have NOW! .... so don't wait around for the next best thing, because you'll end up waiting forever...

Hope this helps some people make up their mind!

L

Edited by Loukas

Guest griffog

Just got mine and am very impressed with it. The only thing is the JOGGR scroll bit, I keep accidentally selecting the email shortcut button. Is there a Reg hack to change the assignment for this as I like the Scroll function but want to disable the email button.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.