Orange Update for C550 - what does it do?

Guest D J Fryer

Guest D J Fryer

Had a SMS from Orange earlier in the week saying that they would shortly send me another SMS with a software update. Received this today

This is a software update for your phone from Orange. Click on the link to download, don't worry it is free and won't take long http://www.orange-update.com/2

So click the link and IE opens, then prompted by: -

Download file 'OrangeUpdate_C550p_signed.cab'?

I haven't said Yes or No yet because I don't want it to undo my unlock or decertification.

Anyone else had this and what did you do?

Had a SMS from Orange earlier in the week saying that they would shortly send me another SMS with a software update. Received this today

I haven't said Yes or No yet because I don't want it to undo my unlock or decertification.

I've had the same message, except the URI on mine navigates to http://www.orange-update.com/3.

Does anyone have any further info on this [alleged] update?

Guest spgster

Hi

I just had the same message.

I am being bold and downloading to see what happens... I am due an upgrade from Orange anyway so if it screws my Phone I am not in too much trouble.

Will post back

Steve

I also got the message with a link to http://www.orange-update.com/2.

I phoned Orange to check what it was. What a menu system! When I called from my mobile I kept getting cut off, or a message that my call could not be completed at this time. I eventually managed to get through on the freephone number from my landline.

The best menu option that I could fin was for phone faults. I got to speak to someone here, who confirmed that the update was from Orange, however as far as he knew the only updates being issued were to Nokia N70's.

When I asked him what the update did, he told me that it 'updated the software'!!!

We agreed that as my phone was woring, here was no problem just ignoring the update. That is what I intend to do untill I ind out what it actually changes.

Guest spgster

I did the update, then you get an SMS form "3341" with the following text :

http://www.orange-update.com/;3341;8661;88...P8q4/zHbzRR316v

Not a clue what to do next. Have tried browsing to the link.. Nothing.

Tried rebooting the phone.. Not alot seems to have changed.

System|About reads:

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

Version 4.21.1088 (Build 15159.2.6.4)

Radio Version 140.299.14_0.11.10

ROM update versions:

Operator 8.2.1.11

Manufacturer 1.0.1.18

Microsoft 4.21.15159.0

Language 1.0.1.18

File System 4.21.15159.0

Any help to anyone?

I did the update, then you get an SMS form "3341" with the following text :

http://www.orange-update.com/;3341;8661;88...P8q4/zHbzRR316v

Not a clue what to do next. Have tried browsing to the link.. Nothing.

Tried rebooting the phone.. Not alot seems to have changed.

System|About reads:

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

Version 4.21.1088 (Build 15159.2.6.4)

Radio Version 140.299.14_0.11.10

ROM update versions:

Operator 8.2.1.11

Manufacturer 1.0.1.18

Microsoft 4.21.15159.0

Language 1.0.1.18

File System 4.21.15159.0

Any help to anyone?

Has the update changed the status of any application/sim unlocking that you may have had?

Guest awarner (MVP)

This massive download of 464 bytes :) is probably nore network related rather than anything for the end user as such.

It's more like the old SIM updates they used to send through.

Check things like IE settings etc as it may have affected these in the update?

I've had a look at the cab file. The update adds some extra funcionality to the camera application.

Try it... take a photo... It adds a wizard-like/guided interface to send images to a friend/online album.

I think there's some other stuff in there too as there are images and sounds that relate to 'calling tunes'; I've not worked out how they fit in yet though.

Edited by cubik

Guest spgster
I've had a look at the cab file. The update adds some extra funcionality to the camera application.

Try it... take a photo... It adds a wizard-like/guided interface to send images to a friend/online album.

I think there's some other stuff in there too as there are images and sounds that relate to 'calling tunes'; I've not worked out how they fit in yet though.

When you take a photo, you get a pop up asking "Do you want to do something with this photo", and new menu option on the soft key "not now"

If you select yes, you get a new Photography page where you can "Send to a friend", "Send to online album", "Dont ask me again"

Whoop-de-doo

Guest criticalhip

These messages smell very dodgy indeed.

My girlfriend just mentioned to me that she'd got those two messages, and I did a quick check online, discovering this thread.

A few things bothered me about the messages my girlfriend got. We're in the UK.

1) The first from 'Orange' was actually from '_Orange'

2) The domain name in the URL of the second message was orange-update.com

3) orange-update.com is registered to melbourneit.com, an Australian domain reseller:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whoi...amp;type=domain

4) The image in the 'thank you page' is referenced from SNAPin.com, not Orange (http://orangehs.snapin.com/getApp?app=4)

In summary, I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole.

Guest alanclose

I installed it and it slowed up my phone and I had to turn it of and on again several times because it kept freezing.

Uninstalling the update returned the phone to normal

Guest max1956bikes

i got this on my c500 so i went ahead and said yes.only thing i can find that has changed when i take photo pop up sayes what do you want to do with photo.so it seems harmless.i have had no problems since.

This is a genuine update from Orange and as someone said earlier, it adds help/assistance menus to various functions.

As far as i'm aware it has only been pushed to C500 and C550 but wil be available for other handsets