MDA Compact III now available from T-Mobile UK

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bradzki

Just connected to a new T-Mobile contract with the MDA Compact 3 at my local T-mobile store. Connected to Flext 35 with Web n Walk got Co Pilot 6 Live included and only paid £29.99

Not sure why t-mobile direct/online aren't offering co-pilot??

I'm not complaining tho! :)

Guest Perfectionist

Kick Ass !! Been waiting for this to come out for frikkin ages !!

One question - does this baby give you high speed Internet access like the Vario 2 ??

Actually another question too - is it worth waiting for the rumoured GPS enabled HTC Trinity to be released by T-mob (will it be released by T-mob?!) ...... or should I just get my hands on this one right now ?!

Guest richard_d
Kick Ass !! Been waiting for this to come out for frikkin ages !!

One question - does this baby give you high speed Internet access like the Vario 2 ??

Actually another question too - is it worth waiting for the rumoured GPS enabled HTC Trinity to be released by T-mob (will it be released by T-mob?!) ...... or should I just get my hands on this one right now ?!

No 3G, no wifi - Personally I'd wait for the Trinity

So here's a big question.

on flext25 web'n'walk, the MDA Compact III is £59.99 - very reasonable. The Vario II is now only £20 more though on the same contract! (interesting that the T-mobile website discount the Vario II by £30 if you take web'n'walk, but the MDA Compact III is the same price with or without web'n'walk).

SO is the xtra processing power, WiFi, and keyboard (I'm not bothered by 3G) - worth £20 + bluetooth GPS receiver (any recommendations?).

Or is the smaller size and integrated GPS a better option

e3,

p.s. I don't use a PDA currently so have no idea if I want a keyboard or not! I suspect typing will be done on my laptop not my PDA/SatNav/mp3 player/Phone (I still can't get over the fact one device will do all these & more!)

Guest Paul (MVP)

- Do you text people much?

- Do you think you'll use messenger on the device?

- Do you use satnav much?

- Are you in a good 3G reception area?

- Have you tried the MDACIII RollR in your local t-mobile shop?

- Do you think you'll use WiFi?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's your opinion Confucious... even as a heavy mobile internet user, i'd probably give up 3G / HSDPA if it'd be in exchange for another feature I really wanted!

P

Guest Confucious

You are, off course, right Paul. But I can't think of anything that would make me give up 3G and it will be top of my priority list when I look for a replacement for my Universal - but all I really want is an improved Universal - I love it :)

- Do you text people much?

not a lot - a couple a day usually.

- Do you think you'll use messenger on the device?

almost certainly not.

- Do you use satnav much?

I think this will be fairly important - I started looking at dedicated satNav, and because I don't want a big lump of plastic on my dashboard I really like the idea of using a phone.

- Are you in a good 3G reception area?

I have no idea, seeing as how they don't even broadcast freeview in my area yet I sincerely doubt it!

- Have you tried the MDACIII RollR in your local t-mobile shop?

no, but not having used anything else I doubt I'll be bothered by it. The lack of a keyboard is more of a doubt than the RollR (i used to have a sony cmd Z5 years ago and loved the jog dial!)

- Do you think you'll use WiFi?

If its on then yes, I have a wireless network at home, with a linux fileserver with lots of films/mp3's and backups on it, so I imagine I would use it for swapping files (I intend to use the device as a PMP too). I also have 2meg broadband at home, but do most of my browsing on WiFi with my laptop.

Not sure how I will transfer mp3s etc to my laptop without WiFi (except using the usb cable, in which case I'll probably get a cradle for it).

what is the audio output on the vario II? 2.5mm, 3.5mm or miniusb?

e3.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sounds like either device could work well for you... which probably isn't what you want to hear.

Here's my thoughts...

- If you do any text input on the device, you'll love the Vario II. Text input on the MDACIII is cumbersome, as with all non keyboarded PPCs.

- Windows Live Mobile is coming, and it's stunning... especially on the Vario II.

- Having integrated GPS is great! Bluetooth GPS are pretty tiny now too, so you need to decide how important it is having it integrated.

- Use the coverage checker on the T-Mobile site to check your 3G coverage - you could be surprised! My in laws get no Freeview but great 3G reception!

- The RollR - I really would suggest trying it!

- WiFi - I assume you're thinking about mapping a drive using Resco Explorer or something to your fileserver? Might work, haven't tried it personally. If this is your only reason for wanting WiFi, I wouldn't put too much weight on it. Depending on how often you are loading up the device, getting a card reader on your laptop might be better. To this end, you can get the Vario II microSD out without removing the battery (it's external), on the MDACIII it's under the SIM.

Decisions decisions! :)

P

Guest stephenjfa
So here's a big question.

on flext25 web'n'walk, the MDA Compact III is £59.99 - very reasonable. The Vario II is now only £20 more though on the same contract! (interesting that the T-mobile website discount the Vario II by £30 if you take web'n'walk, but the MDA Compact III is the same price with or without web'n'walk).

SO is the xtra processing power, WiFi, and keyboard (I'm not bothered by 3G) - worth £20 + bluetooth GPS receiver (any recommendations?).

Or is the smaller size and integrated GPS a better option

e3,

p.s. I don't use a PDA currently so have no idea if I want a keyboard or not! I suspect typing will be done on my laptop not my PDA/SatNav/mp3 player/Phone (I still can't get over the fact one device will do all these & more!)

I just looked at the T-Mobile site, and it's still showing the Vario II as 109.99 with flext25 web'n'walk - where did you see it for less?

But I'm in the same boat as you - I was looking at the MDACIII, but I definitely want WiFi - and the Vario II looks great, but it's surprisingly hefty, with that built-in keyboard. I think I'm going to wait to see what they replace the Vario II with, and see if it's any slimmer.

I notice O2 have launched their XDA Orbit - which appears to be the same as the MDACIII, but with the WiFi left in! Pity their price plans are so crap! :)

I just looked at the T-Mobile site, and it's still showing the Vario II as 109.99 with flext25 web'n'walk - where did you see it for less?

I thought this initially also, but if you make sure you select 'web N walk' from the tarif section (see image)

Unfortunately it only seems to save money on the vario II and not the MDC compact III?

webnwalk.jpg

thanks for all your input so far everyone, this is a fantastic site.

and now we have the HTC Herald to consider also. The way things are progressing I am getting put off 18 month contracts!

the Herald looks great, is thinner, has an accessible microSD slot - looks like it solves a lot of my problems. I wonder if T-mobile will pick it up?

e3

Guest Confucious
- Use the coverage checker on the T-Mobile site to check your 3G coverage - you could be surprised! My in laws get no Freeview but great 3G reception!

P

One thing I would disagree on - the rest is fine, but the coverage checker is a good couple of years out of date - if it shows you have coverage then you should do but the coverage has increased a lot since the site was updated - best to see if you can borrow a device and check coverage if possible.

The other point I'd make is Wifi eats battery life which is why I use 3G for all my browsing - even when I'm at home.

The Vario II has a unique headphone adaptor which doubles up as a usb port - one disadvantage of an otherwise excellent device.

Guest Confucious
But I'm in the same boat as you - I was looking at the MDACIII, but I definitely want WiFi - and the Vario II looks great, but it's surprisingly hefty, with that built-in keyboard. I think I'm going to wait to see what they replace the Vario II with, and see if it's any slimmer.

The vario II has only just been released! You could be waiting a while for a replacement!

The Vario II has a unique headphone adaptor which doubles up as a usb port - one disadvantage of an otherwise excellent device.

I think the MDA Compact III has the same port, which is a real shame as I wanted to use and FM transmitter to play mp3s over the car stereo, and it looks like even with an adapter I can't do this while the unit is charging as it uses the same miniusb adapter. Anyone know if this is correct? or are there adapters that will allow audio out at the same time as power in? (or have I made an incorrect assumption?)

e3

Guest timiano
That's your opinion Confucious... even as a heavy mobile internet user, i'd probably give up 3G / HSDPA if it'd be in exchange for another feature I really wanted!

P

You must be 18 stone then, as you surely can't be a internutter if you'd trade HSDPA for some other bell and whistle.

I'd rather give up a testicle than 3G/HSDPA

Guest richard_d
I think the MDA Compact III has the same port, which is a real shame as I wanted to use and FM transmitter to play mp3s over the car stereo, and it looks like even with an adapter I can't do this while the unit is charging as it uses the same miniusb adapter. Anyone know if this is correct? or are there adapters that will allow audio out at the same time as power in? (or have I made an incorrect assumption?)

e3

Adaptors are listed on expansys - but I don't think they're due in for a week or two.

• 2 months later...
Guest felsteaduk
I just hard reset mine and it is running the EXTROM.

I know, because I have the, er, lovely T-Mobile pink theme :)

hehe

P

Does this mean that it may be possible to get the wi-fi working?

THe sales man told me that the wi-fi was never added to this model. Still got it anyway, just waiting for a memory card to arrive so I can load on my tomtom and also waiting for a new case. Don't dare us it until I have the case. Its been sat in a draw witing for a week now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest powerupmobile

We are selling the Compact III on its own, or with CoPilot on Micros SD and also TomTom software plus a 1GB Micro SD card which you wont get from T-Mobile due to their tie in with CoPilot. We are an independant dealer so can sell what we choose. Plus when you buy with a contract you can save a lot of money on the cost of TomTom as well as the phone.

Compact III on its own...

Compact III with CoPilot...

Compact III with TomTom + 1GB MicroSD...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.