Compact III GPS settings

Guest lancaster

Guest lancaster

Hi,

This is my first post on MoDaCo, been lurking for a week or so though!

I started a new contract with T-mobile last Sunday and ordered the MDA Compact III, amazing deal I thought - WiFi and TomTom for £59.99 on a £20 contract. Unfortunately, as you all probably know this is not actually the case and tmobile have pulled a fast one. Now, I really like the phone and I'd still like to keep it despite it not having WiFi or TomTom installed but for some reason I'm having trouble getting the GPS to work.

If I go to the GPS settings the program port is set to COM4, however the hardware port is set to (None) and the baud rate is set to 4800. Could someone who has got GPS working on the UK MDA Compact III please tell me if these are the correct settings?

Thanks very much in advance.

Guest cactusbob
Hi,

This is my first post on MoDaCo, been lurking for a week or so though!

I started a new contract with T-mobile last Sunday and ordered the MDA Compact III, amazing deal I thought - WiFi and TomTom for £59.99 on a £20 contract. Unfortunately, as you all probably know this is not actually the case and tmobile have pulled a fast one. Now, I really like the phone and I'd still like to keep it despite it not having WiFi or TomTom installed but for some reason I'm having trouble getting the GPS to work.

If I go to the GPS settings the program port is set to COM4, however the hardware port is set to (None) and the baud rate is set to 4800. Could someone who has got GPS working on the UK MDA Compact III please tell me if these are the correct settings?

Thanks very much in advance.

Yes these are correct, just set the GPS port in your application to COM4 and baud 4800, it'll then work.

Guest RajuShah
Set the program port to COM4, the hardware port to COM3, the baud to 4800 and connect your application to COM4.

P

hey paul, i need some help. i recently upgraded to a mda t-mobile compact III. i cant get thegps working on it. does this come with software already on it?

Guest coolcatshaft

just a note on the gps settings, the standard settings work fine although if i used the auto detection setting on Cameraware the phone would freeze. after manually entering the baud rate and com port in the application it connected up fine with no fuss.

Guest hooperman

hi, I have a compact 3 and have put tomtom 6 on it. when selecting the gps receiver in tomtom, which do I go for? the choice is: tomtom bluetooth receiver, tomtom wired receiver, other bluetooth receiver or other nmea receiver.

can't seem to get tomtom to connect.

cheers

Guest welshmikie
hi, I have a compact 3 and have put tomtom 6 on it. when selecting the gps receiver in tomtom, which do I go for? the choice is: tomtom bluetooth receiver, tomtom wired receiver, other bluetooth receiver or other nmea receiver.

can't seem to get tomtom to connect.

cheers

I got mine on other nmea reciever baud rate 4800 com4. works fine using tomtonavigator 6

Guest coolcatshaft
I got mine on other nmea reciever baud rate 4800 com4. works fine using tomtonavigator 6

same here, except baud rate is 57600 as set in GPS settings in Start > Setting > System > GPS

• 6 months later...
Guest srigpsguy

Hi Friends,

Recently I bought a MDA Compact III WM, with out GPS software.

Now I want to know how can I use the GPS facility in this WM. I connected to internet and downloaded QuickGPS data. Now what to do. Do I need a navigation software to use GPS. If yes, is there any freewares available for this purpose. where can I download those. how to configure that..

I am very much interested in GPS coordinates (Lat/Lon), distance measurement, compass..type of facilities

I am a newbee to the GPS topic, pls advice me..

Thanks,

sri

Edited by srigpsguy

Guest mrw1004

Hi

Hi Friends,

Recently I bought a MDA Compact III WM, with out GPS software.

Now I want to know how can I use the GPS facility in this WM. I connected to internet and downloaded QuickGPS data. Now what to do. Do I need a navigation software to use GPS. If yes, is there any freewares available for this purpose. where can I download those. how to configure that..

I am very much interested in GPS coordinates (Lat/Lon), distance measurement, compass..type of facilities

I am a newbee to the GPS topic, pls advice me..

Thanks,

sri

I have an MDA III, google maps for windows mobile works well its free it understands the GPS in the handset and will do basic routing etc.

http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html

Smart2go is also free you need to pay only if you want voice directions and works well

http://www.smart2go.com/en/

windows live search is a bit like google maps

http://mobile.search.live.com/about/

have fun

mw