The official glofiish X500/M700 press launch 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[teaser]Evening all!

I'm writing this on the train back from the London launch of the glofiish X500/M700 devices. At the conference both devices were of course present, and i've included some pics below (more after the jump for those on the news page!) Included are the all important with-competing-devices shots that you only get from us. Nobody else wants to buy all the devices :D

As well as taking the pictures I gave the devices a good going over as it were, so this thread is your opportunity to ask me anything you like about the new glofiish devices! :)

To get you started, the X500 is a Pocket PC with a Samsung 400MHz processor, GPS, WiFi and quad band / EDGE connectivity, coming in at a cool 15mm thick. The M700 is a Hermes-style device with a slide out keyboard, packing virtually identical specs to the X500. Again, no 3G connectivity.

First impressions... X500 - impressively thin and amazingly light, very desirable, lack of Flag / OK buttons a shame. M700 - not as thin as I had hoped, not as pretty as the X500, similarity to the Hermes makes it a tchnology choice between 3G connectivity or GPS.

We have a few other tidbits of information from the launch that i'll post seperately but for now... ask away! :P

P

x500-withcompactiii-resized.jpgm700-withvarioii-resized.jpg

[/teaser]

x500-withcompactiii.jpg

x500-withcompactiiibottom.jpg

m700-front.jpg

m700-withvarioii.jpg

m700-withvarioiibottom.jpg

m700-withvarioiiopen.jpg

m700-withvarioiiside.jpg

Guest richard_d

Hhhmm I like the styling of the x500, but I just can't make my mind up over the M700. Still if they haven't got 3G I'm not in the market. Any idea on pricing though?

Guest richard_d
I'm not sold on the styling of the M700 myself either :)

Pricing to follow shortly...

P

I can't say I exactly hate it but it's not appealing either ...

Is it me or is the screen smaller than the Vario 2?

Thanks for the pics Paul. As always, we can depend on you to provide the earliest reviews and information!

I am really interested in the M700 and i think its almost perfect. I don't particularly care for 3G considering the the price we have to pay for unlimited connectivity, so for now EDGE is fine with me. I'm just curious as to what its going to cost and when it will be available for purchase.

Thanks for the info!

Guest genaldar

I wonder if either will make it stateside. Because if the m700 is making it over I doubt I'd pick up the mda (wizard) now, I'd just stick with my mpx220 until this made it over..

Guest genaldar
Don't forget the Cingular 8525 into the equation stateside too (Hermes)...

P

True, but I'm happy with t-mobile and from what I hear when we get 3g it'll be on some funky frequency or something so it won't work with current 3g phones. And since I couldn't bring myself to spend the $700 to buy an unlocked tytn I guess it's out of the running. Of course even if either of them make it over here they'll probably go to cingular since t-mobile (usa) doesn't give a crap about ppc or smartphones (mda, sda and dash are the only 3 since mpx200).

Guest sacosta74

:)

3G versus GPS capabilities?

The m700 looks very attractive so far. I will wait until we get the price. Right now Cingular is subsidizing the 8525 (tytn) so the price is not bad for a two year agreement.

It looks like the m700 looks thinner, it also looks actually larger (longer)

I could just see it now on my belt now, but it is slim enough to go on a jacket.

Price for the X500 is 898CHF/532€ as seen on www.eten.ch, didn't you know this?? I only found this forum because thres a link on their page ^

Edited by __a

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.