Orange problem with N70

Guest tbl

Wasn't sure whether to post in Nokia or Orange, but it's an Orange specific problem so here goes...

I upgraded to an N70 in late November.

Called 2 weeks later to complain that the ringtone selection doesn't work, always plays Nokia tune.

Also my phone reboots quite a lot.

Orange CS were not a lot of help, but I have been dealt with well by the Executive Office.

However, my main problem is that I am stuck with a faulty phone, and although there are rumours of a software upgrade in the near future, I can't get a date.

My questions are:

1. When will this upgrade be coming out, if at all
  2. Why am I not allowed a full refund and termination of my contract - the device clearly fails the sale of good act! (Can't see a better phone which Orange have)

Guest sporkguy

There was a news item on our Intranet a couple of weeks ago regarding this problem.

Unfortunately Nokia and Orange are still trying to come up with a solution, but they are very aware of the problem.

There is, at this moment, no set date for the patch.

Guest mwright
There was a news item on our Intranet a couple of weeks ago regarding this problem.

tch.

Is that for the ringtone problem (which I do not appear to have) or the resetting (which bugs the heck out of me!)?

I have both issues.... yay, check me out.

The ringtone bug can be (partially) remedied by setting the call log to only log 1 days worth of calls.

My query is, why are Orange still selling the phone when it is so clearly defective? :)

Guest sporkguy

We sell it because people would moan even more if we took it off our shelves.

As long as it performs at its most basic level (i.e. makes and receives calls) then it will remain.

Guest Jay3gsm

There is a patch to help resolve the ringtone issue, can be found here:

http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,77767,00.html

Won't help with the constant rebooting though.

The ringtone issue apparently comes into play because the MP3 file being used is too large. So the phone defaults to the standard ringtone. I have never had the ringtone problem but after reading the causes I ensure that any MP3 file I use is cut down to about 30 seconds (After all, after 30 seconds voicemail kicks in and the phone stops ringing anyhow)

Maybe you could try cutting down the size of the MP3 file to resolve the ringtone issue, as well as installing the patch

Jay3GSM,

Already downloaded the patch, it doesn't sort the problem.

I'm not trying to use fancy MP3 ringtones, this even happens with the Ring Ring default tone!

The only way to partially get round it is to change the call log to only log 1 days worth of calls.

It's hopeless.

• 4 weeks later...