i-Text

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy

I'm a beta tester on something called i-Text, which is essentially, a way of sending free texts from your mobile in exchange for viewing a small ad over GPRS or on the website every so often.

I'll give you the blurb from the website:

You use text messaging for everything, don't you? You get in touch with mates, check on your Gran, contact colleagues and ask about the footie game. Haven't you ever thought, then, that text messaging should cost much much less?

The fact is that unless you are on a contract that doesn't always suit you, you end up spending up to 12p for every time you send a text message. Haven't you ever thought this was a problem?

We used to think about this all the time. Then one day, we came up with i-text.

Welcome to the trial version of a technology that is about to change text messaging forever.

sounds good? here's more:

free to text who you want to text

Email, instant messsaging and VOIP have set a blazing trail in the way you communicate. You can now contact friends and family all over the world at virtually no cost. i-text is the final piece of this puzzle, changing the cost of the last remaining, and most expensive medium of them all - text messaging. With i-text, you get to send almost-free text messages from your mobile phone, in exactly the way you're used to.

To use i-text, you will have to pay your provider at their data rate, but this will typically be no more than a penny per message, depending on your provider. Some don't charge anything for the very small amounts of data in an i-text, which suddenly means text messaging becomes totally free, as long as you i-text.it.

So you can finally text that friend you made on holiday, keep in touch with family anywhere in the world, and even make friends with that great guy who happens to be on a different mobile network from you. And remember having to spend several times more just to send a text message to a different country? Well, you can forget all about that now, because with i-text, text messages will cost the same regardless of where they are going. You see, no matter whom you text, we will charge you the same thing: absolutely nothing.

So its a pretty new idea, and hopefully it should take off.

You can sign up at their website over at http://www.i-text.it and cross your fingers that you're one of the lucky few selected to test.

btw, I don't work for this company, nor am I affiliated with them in any way shape or form. There is, however, a referral box, and if you would like to use me as your referral, send me a PM and I'll give you my number :D (no perverts please! :))

Hmm it seems the SPV C550 isn't compatable with the application, i get an error message when i try to download it. I have contacted i-text just waiting for a reply. :)

Guest sergiom
Managed to sort it with Martin's help, have installed on my SE P910i now and have managed to send via GPRS, sweeeet :)

but, your wireless company, doesn?t charge you for use GPRS????

in that case, you are lucky... here at Argentina, the company charge you for use GRPS

That?s my Company CTI Argentina

pricegprs6pq.jpg

The price is in argentinian peso - $3 pesos = U$s 1 US Dollar

but, your wireless company, doesn?t charge you for use GPRS????

in that case, you are lucky... here at Argentina, the company charge you for use GRPS

Hi Sergiom, working for Orange in the UK we get an inclusive 30mb of GPRS usage everymonth.

Guest sporkguy
' date='Feb 18 2006, 01:54' post='797']It will be interesting to see what the actual real cost of using this service is.

Hopefully the adverts you get sent are not too big or too often, once in a while can mean a lot of things.

I've built myself up to 50 credits using the online ads section, so really there's no real need to view the ads on your phone == not much cost (except for the pennies to make the actual connection to send the sms).

• 1 month later...
Guest xda_gangsta

hmmm do u think its possible the cost of using GPRS is more expensive than sending a regular text message? lol, here its 4 cents per KB, I wonder how much data it uses to send 1 text message with 165 characters.. an interesting idea tho and I would use it - no biggy to look at an ad for a second & save some cash :)

Guest sporkguy
hmmm do u think its possible the cost of using GPRS is more expensive than sending a regular text message? lol, here its 4 cents per KB, I wonder how much data it uses to send 1 text message with 165 characters.. an interesting idea tho and I would use it - no biggy to look at an ad for a second & save some cash :)

I'm assuming, that 165 characters is 165 bytes - plus the headers of who its from, where it's going to etc, I can't see it being more than half a KB per message.

the main cost comes from viewing the ads - but you can do that online (not at the moment, but you used to) to save yourself money.

Its a good idea - just a shame the iText client doesnt work properly with my D600, or I'd be using it more.