Orange EDGE network

Guest morpheus2702

Guest morpheus2702

I just want to get some opinions on Orange's EDGE network, given that Orange are introducing more EDGE enabled phones?

Simply, what is the rationale of having EDGE when the networks have spelt billions on establishing 3G networks? Is EDGE based on GPRS technology and so is a quick/cheap addition for them to implement?

Guest moroni
I just want to get some opinions on Orange's EDGE network, given that Orange are introducing more EDGE enabled phones?

Simply, what is the rationale of having EDGE when the networks have spelt billions on establishing 3G networks? Is EDGE based on GPRS technology and so is a quick/cheap addition for them to implement?

without being geeky about it, as its not a field i am hugely familiar with, i am finding EDGE to be rather nippy.

I think it is being used as a stop-gap for those areas that dont/wont get 3G, the sort of place where it may be economically unviable to put up lots of masts due to lack of populace, or maybe even because i imagine its getting harder to obtain permission to put up more masts?

Guest sporkguy

Moroni is correct. Edge networks are not something new being established, rather, Orange are upgrading existing GSM masts that are in need of an upgrade to include Edge as their latest technology.

The new Nokia masts that are being used to replace the older existing masts have Edge support as standard, and its a lot cheaper to upgrade them to edge than it is to tear the thing down and put up a brand new 3G mast.

I've used Edge AND 3G, one on my D600 and the other on my 6630 and I can't see much difference. Its just the few kilobytes differences for those larger downloads that make it matter.

Guest martin
Simply, what is the rationale of having EDGE when the networks have spelt billions on establishing 3G networks?
EDGE is an upgrade to BTS sites on the 2G network. It doesn't affect the rollout of the 3G network.

Is EDGE based on GPRS technology and so is a quick/cheap addition for them to implement?
I'm certain that if implementing EDGE was cheap then all operators would have upgraded their 2G network a long time ago :)

Personally I would prefer to have both EDGE and UMTS :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

On some HTC handsets you can enable an 'E' icon instead of 'G' in EDGE areas, not sure about on Nokias tho...

P

Guest sporkguy
On some HTC handsets you can enable an 'E' icon instead of 'G' in EDGE areas, not sure about on Nokias tho...

P

I experienced EDGE for the first time in my life yesterday. Was out having a nice meal with my folks at an expensive restaurant on the outskirts of Lichfield, and when my SP5/8310 bleeped to alert me of an email (god i love push mail!) - I noticed a large E up top and the signal bar was maxed out!

Loaded up IE, and its quite nippy.. you certainly notice the difference in speed compared to GPRS, and it sync'd my contacts rather fast too.

Shame tho, cos as soon as I got home, it went back to GPRS :)

Guest jchamier
I experienced EDGE for the first time in my life yesterday. Was out having a nice meal with my folks at an expensive restaurant on the outskirts of Lichfield, and when my SP5/8310 bleeped to alert me of an email (god i love push mail!) - I noticed a large E up top and the signal bar was maxed out!

Anyone know if you have to have a certain tarrif for this? Considering GPRS in the US and elsewhere can get 50kbps, but O seem to limit it to 28.8kbps, anything faster is worth it....

Guest Paul (MVP)

No, EDGE is automatically available so long as you have coverage and an EDGE enabled handset obviously.

P

Guest jchamier
No, EDGE is automatically available so long as you have coverage and an EDGE enabled handset obviously.

Cheers, quick reply :) Guess I'll have to keep any eye out for the E instead of the G.

Guest sporkguy
Cheers, quick reply :) Guess I'll have to keep any eye out for the E instead of the G.

'Fraid you wont on that 6230i of yours.. afaik there's only a select few handsets available from O that support it :/

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
On the plus side I believe that EDGE is only being rolled out in areas that have no 3G reception.

How is that a plus side? I have great O 3G coverage here in Guildford, damned useless on my EDGE enabled C600 though!

Guest mad4mobilephones.com

T Mobile are investing in high-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA) for a new broadband 3G service so this may take over in the future.

Guest dr who
How is that a plus side? I have great O 3G coverage here in Guildford, damned useless on my EDGE enabled C600 though!

Yerrrrssss. Obviously a plus for those with Nokia handsets that will only revert to EDGE/GPRS in a non-3G area. Thats the trouble with HTC phones at the moment they are waaayyyyyyyy too far behind. Having to wait however many months for the Breeze is a joke and it doesn't even have Wifi. Until they catch up I will be forced to catch the next Nokia bus out of here (against my will!).

Guest confucious

I'll stick with my Universal - 3G is fast enough for me :) At least until HSDPA becomes more widely available...

Guest dr who
I'll stick with my Universal - 3G is fast enough for me :) At least until HSDPA becomes more widely available...

I'm well looking forward to bagging a Hermes when they appear!

Guest jchamier
'Fraid you wont on that 6230i of yours.. afaik there's only a select few handsets available from O that support it :/

Guess that's a network setting that will prevent it then? (Its not an Orange modified 6230i). Still want the 9300i too, and that claims to (hopefully?) support edge, as it has no 3G.

A 3G communicator from Nokia would be the dogs bollox, but they'd insist of having video-phone capabilities, and that is something I'm not remotely interested in. Actually by not having a camera, the 9300i is fantastic.

Hi,

Edge has been rolled out to increase bandwidth outside 3G areas, to provide non 3G users with more bandwidth. (although some areas have 3G as well as Edge).

My understanding is that it is a software upgrade rather than new hardware. It is also called Enhanced GPRS.

Guest sporkguy
Hi,

Edge has been rolled out to increase bandwidth outside 3G areas, to provide non 3G users with more bandwidth. (although some areas have 3G as well as Edge).

My understanding is that it is a software upgrade rather than new hardware. It is also called Enhanced GPRS.

as far as my understanding is, its a hardware upgrade to the latest nokia masts that replace the old ones that are due for upgrade.

EDGE is standard in these new masts, so it is in orange's best interests to enable the function (Orange make their most profit off data)