T-Mobile Insurance/ phones/ and Me Jumping Ship from O

Guest Jasonkruys

Guest Jasonkruys

A bit of a Ramble, so avoid what's not in bold if you want the direct questions! :D

Ok.....another person about to jump ship from Orange (I think)

Despite not being out of Contract with Orange until November, it is actually going to be cheaper for me to reduce my contract to ?19 a month, pay it off and move to a FlexT 35 + W&W with 25% discount and unlimited data (as im sure you all already know).

Total cost will be ?56.87 (including 19 quid to orange). I currently pay ?65 quid a month!

1. Has anyone had any experience of T-Mobiles phone insurance? How does it compare to O's?

I have an M5000, so thinking of using this.....

2. Presumably I wont have any problems setting it (m5000) up?

If thats the case, I might bin the phone insurance on T-Mobile, get an N70 with the contract (free) and use my M5000 and be done with it.

Thanls :)

3. Unless anyone can advise the phone I should get with my contract (and take the insurance also)?

Guest dr who

Well, I have 9 months left on one of my contracts and I am considering paying THAT off, because I will probably save that in about 3 months.

I had a cursory look at their phone insurance and it looked very expensive to claim to me. Something like ?30 on the first instance, ?60 the second and ?90 then on. I go through handsets and this is one serious downside to me.

If the M5000 was supplied by the big O you would need to unlock it. I think you can pay to have Orange do it or you can probably go into a store to get it done. Alternatively look on Modaco for methods of SIM unlocking it. You will then need to install all the T-Mob defaults (someone posted these on Mobiholics recently) and off you go. Probably worth making some sort of .cab backup once you have done this so you can just run that if you need to reset it.

N70 is probably the best 'high value' phone if you intend selling it or maybe get yourself an MDA?

Guest confucious

How do you work out ?56.86 / month - Flext35 + W'n'W is ?31.88 (inc 25% discount) +?!9 = ?50.88.

I had an O2 Exec which I was using on Orange and went for this - the Universal was made for unlimited 3G data and it's great :)

I went for the compact II + CoPilot and sold the phone to someone at work for ?150 (could have got more on eBay) and the CoPilot (I allready had it on my Exec) for ?122 on eBay. Your household contents insurance covers your phone for most things - as I discovered when I woke up one morning sans phone after a heavy night out.

The O2 Exec was never locked, the M5000 is and I believe imei-check are the only people who can unlock it apart from O.

I reduced my O contract to the ?20 for 3000 texts and gave the sim to my g/f daughter so it will still get used.

T's price plans are just so much better than anyone elses and the Universal screams out for unlimited data - go for it. I did and certainly don't regret it :D

Guest Jasonkruys
How do you work out ?56.86 / month - Flext35 + W'n'W is ?31.88 (inc 25% discount) +?!9 = ?50.88.

I had an O2 Exec which I was using on Orange and went for this - the Universal was made for unlimited 3G data and it's great :)

That was including 5.99 for T-Mob's insurance if I went for it.

I could then even pay for 4smartphones/someone elses push email solution, and it would still be no more expensive than O, even if I did go for T-Mob's insurance!!

Think I am going to go for it. First things first, ring up O and see if they will give me the unlock code for a reasonable fee. Then, get a T-Mob Pay as You Go simcard to make sure I can even get a signal around my house.

Hopefully, T-Mobile here I come!

Guest sporkguy
That was including 5.99 for T-Mob's insurance if I went for it.

I could then even pay for 4smartphones/someone elses push email solution, and it would still be no more expensive than O, even if I did go for T-Mob's insurance!!

Think I am going to go for it. First things first, ring up O and see if they will give me the unlock code for a reasonable fee. Then, get a T-Mob Pay as You Go simcard to make sure I can even get a signal around my house.

Hopefully, T-Mobile here I come!

Mate, don't pay Orange to unlock your phone - its easily done using the several guides available over on Modaco! Doesn't require any flashing, or anything risky.. and takes less than 5 minutes to do :)

Guest confucious
Mate, don't pay Orange to unlock your phone - its easily done using the several guides available over on Modaco! Doesn't require any flashing, or anything risky.. and takes less than 5 minutes to do :)

Not for the M5000. AFAIK it can still only be unlocked by O (?20 if they'll do it) or imei-check (?50) or some greek guy wh'll do it for ?40

Guest Jasonkruys
Not for the M5000. AFAIK it can still only be unlocked by O (?20 if they'll do it) or imei-check (?50) or some greek guy wh'll do it for ?40

Sadly, confucious is, as ever, correct :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andybarker

I also checked my house insurance before signing up with t-mobile, and found i was already covered... and my total house insurance isn't much more than what t-mobile wanted for just a phone!!

Guest dr who

Thats OK as far as it goes, but every time you claim your premium will increase the next year and after so many claims in a short period you may become uninsurable. To be honest I wouldn't think it was worth it - any hike in house insurance is likely to cost you at least ?100 over a year?

Guest confucious
Thats OK as far as it goes, but every time you claim your premium will increase the next year and after so many claims in a short period you may become uninsurable. To be honest I wouldn't think it was worth it - any hike in house insurance is likely to cost you at least ?100 over a year?

Household contents insurance normally allow 2 ckaims a year before hiking the premium. Mine didn't go up with one claim.

How often do you claim?

Guest dr who

Well if I had my phone on there that would have been 7 times over the last 2 years!!!! I have had 3 'real' claims in the last 5 years as well.