Which device to choose?

Guest amo

Guest amo

Ok, so I've got a contract with T-Mobile who i've found to be fantastic. I'm paying ?17.50 for the Flext 35 (staff discount) but have a Nokia 8800 (Don't ask!).

So now that the unlimited data bundle is available i'm after a new device for data.

I was thinking about holding out for the Sony Ericsson P990 as I've had the P800, 900 and 910i and they've been the only phones i've Ever kept for a full year (I even still have my P910i!).

They're excellent phones, which are reliable, dont have memory issues and can do most of the things I'd use a Microsoft device for.

But, what are the best alternatives..

Ideally I want integrated WiFi (and obviously bluetooth). Am I right in thinking this would allow me to use the device as a wireless modem to let me browse the web at upto 386kb speeds with the web and walk bundle?

So come on, what should I go for? MDA Pro perhaps? Pro's (excuse the pun) and cons of whatevers out would be nice...

Guest sporkguy

Paul and co seem quite keen on the Hermes that they suspect will be announced on tmobile next month.

It'll have the wifi and 3G that you're used to with the MDA Pro.. but it'll also have HSDPA

which is 3G on steroids :)

oh, and its a WM5 device.. can't really go wrong!

and can I just say... 8800.. wtf man!

Guest sporkguy
Lol i did say don't ask :)

You got any links to the 'hermes'? God the name puts me right off i must say :D

here's pretty much one of the only photos i've seen of it thus far: clicky

looks a tad on the bland side, but who knows what the MDA version will look like!

Guest amo

To be honest, I don't want to be a beta tester again so would never buy a WM device upon launch ever again.

I think its between the P990 and the MDA Pro at the moment...

Guest confucious

The Pro is a great device - I love mine. But if you're used to Symbian you *might* find it difficult transfering to WM.

3G is great but HSDPA will be even better. The keyboard and screen on the Pro are excellent but you might be put off by it's size.

Personally I much prefer the Universal (mine's an Exec) to anything else available but the Hermes does look good - the fact that it runs WM5 which has been tested on other platforms means it shouldn't be *too* much of a Beta test...

And it will be called the vario II on T so you won't have to put up with jokes about having an STD but only being a carrier....