T-Mobile confirms VoIP ban

Guest jchamier

Guest awarner (MVP)

They got this bit wrong though

However, the company did say it is considering allowing the use of instant messaging on its network "later in the year". For now, though, IM is likewise off-limits to the company's customers.

Unless MSN Messenger does not count? I use Messenger all the time (when I get a signal)

Guest sporkguy
They got this bit wrong though

Unless MSN Messenger does not count? I use Messenger all the time (when I get a signal)

Perhaps by IM they mean Push To Talk and Skype?

I hope so anyway because I also live on MSN Messenger all day :)

Guest tsutton

What the hell - IM ban?

Discrimination! I use it as a means of communications because I am deaf.

Going to find out more about it...

Guest sporkguy

I think their legal and marketing teams got their wires crossed, they probably mean UMS - as MSN Messenger etc uses very small amounts of data.

Guest mwright
I think their legal and marketing teams got their wires crossed, they probably mean UMS - as MSN Messenger etc uses very small amounts of data.

I would suspect that they DO mean IM. It could be used as an alternative to SMS/Speech and therefore remove some of their revenue stream.

Guest Jasonkruys

If you look at the T&C's, the Pro version mentions 'Instant Messaging' (whatever that means), but the non-pro version does not mention it

Guest tsutton
If they are banning MSN Messenger, why do they include it on the phone? (well at least on my Vario)

Very good point. I would suspect it's because it comes with Windows Mobile. Maybe they can't remove it? Or other reasons.

Guest Tech

if that was the case they wouldnt sell smartphones....

i would not accept this for sure. defo not. i bet its competition which they cant even keep up with

Guest Jasonkruys

I did mention it before, but it seems to have been missed.

The PRO version states:

"Web ?n? Walk Professional is subject to a minimum term contract and credit check. Compatible handset or device required. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, a fair use policy applies. T-Mobile defines fair use as total UK data use (both sent and received) of up to 2GB per month. T-Mobile may contact customers who exceed this volume of data in two (or more) consecutive months in any six month period to ask them to reduce their usage. If usage is not reduced, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission. Use of Voice over Internet Protocol and Messaging over Internet Protocol is prohibited by T-Mobile. If use of either or both of these services is detected T-Mobile may terminate all contracts with the customer and disconnect any SIM cards and/or web ?n? walk cards from the T-Mobile network."

The Non-Pro Version states:

"Relax web ?n? walk and Flext web ?n? walk price plans provide unlimited internet surfing on mobile handsets in the UK. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): modem access for computers, internet based video/audio streaming services, peer to peer file sharing, internet based video download and internet based telephony. If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission."

Note that the Pro T&C's specifically state messaging over internet, but the Relax/flexT does not...

Does this not mean that IM is ok on the non-Pro, but not on the pro?

Guest sporkguy

It seems so..

Having never used the WnW Pc Card, I assume there is some form of SMS functionality on it? Therefore they probably insist you use that instead of a MSN/Yahoo etc..

can't really blame them for wanting to raise revenue.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spacerace
It seems so..

Having never used the WnW Pc Card, I assume there is some form of SMS functionality on it? Therefore they probably insist you use that instead of a MSN/Yahoo etc..

can't really blame them for wanting to raise revenue.

Yes the Pro version, used in a PC Card, could lead to high IM data transfers. Remember Skype acts as a proxy for other users traffic, so even if you're not actively using it you will be transferring data.. I'm not sure T-Mob understand this distinction tho, and probably just don't want high bandwidth in general (like IM with voice/video) being used..

Guest confucious

"Messaging over Internet Protocol" (MOIP) is, so I read somewhere, an up and coming technology not used at the moment (Push to Talk?) and does not, AFAIK, refer to IM such as MSN and yahoo etc,

I could be wrong....

Guest chucky.egg

Wouldn't email count as "Messaging over Internet Protocol" though?

MSN can be removed from the ROM - Orange did it on the M600, so I suspect that the lack of explicit mention of MSN, the low levels of data it produces, and the fact that they left it in the ROM means that you are allowed to use it.

I'm guessing here, just like everyone else.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Wouldn't email count as "Messaging over Internet Protocol" though?

MSN can be removed from the ROM - Orange did it on the M600, so I suspect that the lack of explicit mention of MSN, the low levels of data it produces, and the fact that they left it in the ROM means that you are allowed to use it.

I'm guessing here, just like everyone else.

Just been on the phone to T Mobile

* Quote: "MSN Messenger is not permitted on Web and Walk Pro" (I didn't ask about WnW not-pro)

* Web and Walk when added to Flext 35 and above, is classed as Web and Walk Pro

Guest confucious
Just been on the phone to T Mobile

* Quote: "MSN Messenger is not permitted on Web and Walk Pro" (I didn't ask about WnW not-pro)

* Web and Walk when added to Flext 35 and above, is classed as Web and Walk Pro

MSN not permited - That does suprise me...

But not as much as the second statement! Does this mean I can use my phone as a modem as I'm on Flext35?

Guest mwright
MSN not permited - That does suprise me...

Like I said a while ago - almost certainly revenue related. If they allowed IM/MSN people might not text!

Guest confucious
Like I said a while ago - almost certainly revenue related. If they allowed IM/MSN people might not text!

And like I said a while ago, the original spec said MOIP was not permited and it was explaind that MOIP was an up and coming technology not used muxh yet - I wonder if they have their facts straight. I've been using MSN with no problems so far as I believed it was permited.

Guest tsutton

I was told this:

YES to MSN Messager if signed up with Web N Walk Professional

NO to MSN Messenger if using standard Web N Walk's ?7.50 a month