wen n walk & MSN messenger on ppc

Guest andynumpty

Guest confucious
Hi, just woundering if any wnw people are using MSN on there PPC,s with out any probs.

Thnaks

Yes, but there is some debate as to wether it is allowed on W'n'W

Guest andynumpty

yes...thats why i'm asking........T-mobile says you can't use IM on wnw......but how do they know through the gprs/3g network that u are using it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MARKUKCOUK
T say you can't use MoIP on W'n'W - MoIP is not, I believe, the same as IM.

No, they have been asked, repeatedly, if MSN is banned on WnW and the answer is Yes.

Guest Shuflie
No, they have been asked, repeatedly, if MSN is banned on WnW and the answer is Yes.

If they want to ban MSN then why allow access to it on the phone? The original ROM that came on my MDA PRO didn't have MSN installed but the last two ROMs have had it, and the latest ROM was released well after the terms and conditions for Web'n'Walk were posted. You would think that if they didn't want people to use it that it would have been removed again. Incidentally, its only Web'n'Walk Pro that has the bit about MoIP not being allowed, the consumer version doesn't mention it. I suspect that when t-mobile customer services are saying that MSN messenger is not allowed it not because of any offical stance, more that they are looking at the terms and conditions and interpreting MSN messenger as MoIP.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
If they want to ban MSN then why allow access to it on the phone? The original ROM that came on my MDA PRO didn't have MSN installed but the last two ROMs have had it, and the latest ROM was released well after the terms and conditions for Web'n'Walk were posted. You would think that if they didn't want people to use it that it would have been removed again. Incidentally, its only Web'n'Walk Pro that has the bit about MoIP not being allowed, the consumer version doesn't mention it. I suspect that when t-mobile customer services are saying that MSN messenger is not allowed it not because of any offical stance, more that they are looking at the terms and conditions and interpreting MSN messenger as MoIP.

Ring them and ask then. I've rung numerous times (To try and get a VII launch date) and asked each time.

Sometimes they say no, somethings they query a supervisor, or pass you to data dept, who also say no.

Guest confucious

But if you don't ask them there is nothing to stop you using it. I am still of the opinion they don't know what they are talking about so are just covering their arse back...

Guest mwright
But if you don't ask them there is nothing to stop you using it. I am still of the opinion they don't know what they are talking about so are just covering their arse back...

Sorry - how does that work?

Just because you have not ASKED if something is allowed does not mean it IS allowed.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" - if I remember correctly.

Guest Jasonkruys
Sorry - how does that work?

Just because you have not ASKED if something is allowed does not mean it IS allowed.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" - if I remember correctly.

Yes, but if you don't ask, there is no reason for you to think that it is not allowed, as there is NO mention of it in the terms and conditions (unless you are on PRO).

I think the law will agree that if it is not mentioned in the terms and conditions, then it doesn't matter what a customer services rep 'believes' to be the case

Guest dr who
if it is than thats pathetic - MSN doesn even use much data and besides, what would the point on W'nW be?

Ultimately I think the way to approach it is to use it until they formally warn you that you aren't allowed to, much in the same way they will warn you if you use more than the cap each month.

Guest andybarker
If they were that worried they should/could/would block MSN at their gateway.

And not supply it on the phones!

I think they ban IM programs and VoIP programs as that would reduce their income from SMS and voice calls.