Just got my D900

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

Got my D900 this morning (ordered from OneStopPhoneShop yesterday at about 2:30pm, arrived this morning before 11am)

I haven't got the whole thing setup yet (really bizarre menu system doesn't help) but overall I'd say it's quite nice. Small and light(ish) obviously, but really clear screen and nice "feely" slider action too.

I'm used to a T-Mobile MDA Vario, so I was specifically looking for something small and light as a second phone for when I was out getting lashed. A good quality camera was also a "nice to have"

Downsides:

- Cant change the message alert tone to one of my own. Eh? What is this, 1982?

- Cant work out how to disable the button tones, getting kinda annoyed by them already

- Freaky data cable (not miniUSB) but I knew that already

- microSD, not miniSD, which I knew but still annoys me

Will report back on battery life if there's anything good/bad about it - I suspect it'll be "fine"

Guest chucky.egg

Aha!

To stop the keypad tones:

Close the slider

Unlock the keys (if required)

Use the hardware volume buttons to adjust keypad tones up/down (0-5)

Or, method 2:

Menu, Settings, Display Settings, Dialling Display, Font Type

Change it from "Theme" to "Normal" and this enables the keypad tone options in the menu.

Guest travisb

Hows the battery life? Someone at my office had one and sent it back after 4 days as the battery was lasting less than half a day. That and all the Chelsea wallpapers really put him off!

Guest chucky.egg

Well, I didn't give it a full charge yesterday and I was playing with it almost constantly until about 11pm, and the battery was down to one bar (of 3) this morning.

There is an "engineering mode" sort of thing, but I forgot the code so couldn't get the actual %

Other observations:

- I've messed up the camera settings, so the flash goes out the instant before it takes a picture! Doh!

- Camera lag is up to 2 seconds (depends on settings) which is a lot

- Cant find a way to reduce the font size for menus, messages etc. The large font is a waste of the big screen (unless you're almost blind)

- Cant find the SyncML settings, and I suspect they're not there. I was led to believe this had SyncML support.

- Haven't been able to get my GMail account working. You can have more than one email account on the phone (not obvious from the manual)

On the subject of the manual, mine is all French. Not a word of English in it. You can download the English version, but bad of OneStop IMO.

That all sounds negative. On the whole I like the phone.

I love the size and weight

The screen is really sharp

The keypad and slider have a nice feel

The shortcuts are useful (left=new SMS, right=new email, just like Nokias)

The My Menu (list of "favourite" apps) is very useful

I like the way, when you type numbers it offers common actions - compose an SMS, add an appt, set an alarm etc

The GPRS connection and email downloads are substantially faster than my PDA

The downsides are not insignificant, but as a small spare phone it meets my main criteria well. I'll have to see if I can live with the "flaws"

Guest chucky.egg

Forgot to mention... Picsel viewer is great for Office documents.

I've not used this before, but it's very clear and easy (if a little slow) to scroll around to read.

Guest chucky.egg

Getting GMail to work:

Menu, 5, 5, 3, 3 ,2 (assumes you have already created the account)

Choose your GMail account

Options, 1 (Next)

Username: [email protected]

Email address: [email protected]

Reply address: [email protected]

Options, 1 (Next)

SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com

SMTP port: 25

SMTP user ID: your.address

SMTP password: {your password}

Secure conn: No/unticked

Retrieve server type: POP3

POP3 server: pop.gmail.com

POP3 Port: 995

Same ID and password: Yes/ticked

APOP login: No/unticked

Secure connection: Yes/ticked

Options, 1 (Save)

Done!

Guest goochy1
Got my D900 this morning (ordered from OneStopPhoneShop yesterday at about 2:30pm, arrived this morning before 11am)

Downsides:

- Cant change the message alert tone to one of my own. Eh? What is this, 1982?

- Cant work out how to disable the button tones, getting kinda annoyed by them already

- Freaky data cable (not miniUSB) but I knew that already

- microSD, not miniSD, which I knew but still annoys me

Blimey thats quick service!

My mate has got a D900 and he seems to be getting along fine with it now but to start with it annyoed him. The alert tone is the same with all Samsung phones but is a bit of a bummer.

goochy1

Guest chucky.egg

It's been a quiet weekend, but I've used about 33% of the battery per day so far (based on the standby screen battery gauge)

Now trying to get Opera Mini working...

Guest chucky.egg

Battery life seems fairly stable at <= 33% per day

Still like the phone, but annoyed about (what I believe to be) a restriction on Java which means Java apps that access the internet are blocked.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goochy1

Hiya chucky.egg

Is your D900 quiet as the D900 that my mom got today (really cool) but its seems really quiet i was wondering if it was on silent but i can't seem to change the profile either so i was wondering if you had any advice on the volume or lack of it.

cheers

goochy1

Guest chucky.egg

Do you mean the ringtones are quiet, or the in-call volume?

I did a Google before I got the phone and found some links to a code you can enter which lets you modify internal settings (including the base volume level).

I cant remember the link, but I'll have a trawl through my History.

This is a useful place to start though:

http://forums.mobiledia.com/forum9.html

I haven't found the link yet, but this is the code:

*#8999*8378# (Dial it like a phone number)

2 (H/W test)

2 (Audio Settings)

1 (Normal)

I dont remember which settings I changed though :oops:

Guest chucky.egg

Cant find that link, but I think what you need to do is (follows on from previous post):

Scroll down to Rx vol.

My settings are:

Level1: 19

Level2: 30

Level3: 48

Level4: 76

Level5: 150

Can you post your (default) values too - I never wrote them down

Guest goochy1
Cant comment on slidetones because I turned them off, but the Level5 seems to change the ringtone volume - I don't think it had any affect elsewhere.

Don't worry problem solved i was soooooooo stupid. There was still a little sticker over the speaker. :) I how silly of me not to check there but at least you still got the default no. out of it