Nokia E61 or E70?

Guest clv101

I'm looking for a replacement for my Treo 650, any opinions on these two handsets:

Nokia E61 ?254.95

Nokia E70 ?284.95

The features/firmware are very similar but the form factors are very different. The only real feature differences are the camera on the E70, no camera on the E61 and the screens and that the E61 has a 320x240 screen whereas the E70 has a 352x416 - physically the E70 screen is smaller though!

I'm looking for a 3G device with QWERTY keyboard for under ?300 - there doesn't seem to be much choice to be honest!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mark4130

I cant give an opinion on the E70 as I havent used one, but I can give an opinion on my E61.

Im very pleased with it (up to a point).

As a phone it has very good reception, it has never dropped a call, the loudspeaker option works exceptionally well - I can leave the phone on my passenger seat when driving and have a clear conversation, the person on the other end not once unable to hear me.

The keyboard is surprisingly good once you get used to it. The buttons are responsive - yes they are small, but not too small that they are unusable.

The wi-fi option is quite fiddly. It works very well, it just takes a little bit of mental dexterity to make sure its working! The menu paths dont seem to be logical regarding wi-fi.

I must admit, I didnt think I would miss having a camera but there have been times that I have wished it had one. Not too often though.

The screen is good, the orientation makes writing texts and emails very easy.

Response wsie, there isnt any noticable drag when changing between progs.

Battery life is ok, better than on my SPV1500, not as good as my W810i.

Hope that helps

Mark

Guest confucious

Why are you paying for a phome not getting one free on contract?

Don't know a lot about the Nokias but 3G with keyboard? have you considered the HTC Universal or Hermes? Not sure if they're in your budget though.

I'm looking for a replacement for my Treo 650, any opinions on these two handsets:

Nokia E61 ?254.95

Nokia E70 ?284.95

The features/firmware are very similar but the form factors are very different. The only real feature differences are the camera on the E70, no camera on the E61 and the screens and that the E61 has a 320x240 screen whereas the E70 has a 352x416 - physically the E70 screen is smaller though!

I'm looking for a 3G device with QWERTY keyboard for under ?300 - there doesn't seem to be much choice to be honest!

I was looking at the E70 but decided to go with the N73 instead, mainly for the camera. I'm not sure I made the right choice though. It would be great to have a proper keyboard and wifi would be good too...

I also have an HTC Universal which I use as my business PDA. It's great as an online data device but the voice call quality, Bluetooth, battery life and camera are not in the same league as Nokia or Sony Ericsson which rules it out as a primary phone in my case. The TyTN might be better on those points, I couldn't say as I haven't used one, but it is still pretty big to use as a phone when you are out in jeans and a t-shirt.

I would say if you don't care about the camera go for the E61 for the bigger screen and slimmer shape. If the camera is important go for the E70. Or if the camera is REALLY important and you can live without the keyboard and wifi go for the N73.

If Nokia could give me the N73's functionality AND an E70 style keyboard and wifi I'd be prepared to spend quite a lot of my own money on it!

• 1 month later...
Guest willieturnip

dude, 300 quid?....you could get a REALLY nice WM5 device for that...

like the Qtek 9100... 360 quid sim free from expansys...

orrrr... an Imate JAMin

i have a JAMin and its feckin brilliant! (no keyboard though :) )

the Qtek 9100 would be a good bet... massive keyboard compared to most devices and its a pretty small little pda anyway tbh

and btw, they both have WIFI...802.11b/g compliant....

Guest rockykabir

If you have an unlimited internet tariff (e.g. WebNWalk), go for the E61 - as the internet browsing function (with the larger screen) is second to none!

However, I do occasionally miss the camera....

*Apparently* there is a rumoured e61i that is gonna come out which has a camera.

Guest confucious
If you have an unlimited internet tariff (e.g. WebNWalk), go for the E61 - as the internet browsing function (with the larger screen) is second to none!

However, I do occasionally miss the camera....

*Apparently* there is a rumoured e61i that is gonna come out which has a camera.

I think you'll find it's a very poor second to The HTC Universal.....

Guest rockykabir
I think you'll find it's a very poor second to The HTC Universal.....

hmm...I've had WM5 phones and gave the HTC Universal a try but there are some sites that is not properly formatted - with the nokia browser you can view the javascript dropdown menus of ebuyer for example. I don't remember this being possible when I had the Vario.

Additionally - for one handed use with its onscreen cursor - internet browsing wins hands down against the bulky Universal and its stylus. I've also found the browsing experience to be a lot quicker - I'm definitely using the internet far more compared to when I had the Vario or the Universal.

Another huge benefit is that google doesn't recognize the E61 as a mobile browser - so you can view the google page as you would on a regular computer (except smaller). This basically means that I have regular google web, image, news and froogle search under your fingertips :)

Of course, different strokes for different folks - but I definitely rate the nokia browser much more than the current pocket IE browser.

Guest richard_d
hmm...I've had WM5 phones and gave the HTC Universal a try but there are some sites that is not properly formatted - with the nokia browser you can view the javascript dropdown menus of ebuyer for example. I don't remember this being possible when I had the Vario.

Additionally - for one handed use with its onscreen cursor - internet browsing wins hands down against the bulky Universal and its stylus. I've also found the browsing experience to be a lot quicker - I'm definitely using the internet far more compared to when I had the Vario or the Universal.

Another huge benefit is that google doesn't recognize the E61 as a mobile browser - so you can view the google page as you would on a regular computer (except smaller). This basically means that I have regular google web, image, news and froogle search under your fingertips :)

Of course, different strokes for different folks - but I definitely rate the nokia browser much more than the current pocket IE browser.

Just add PIEPlus to PIE and you can access pretty much anything well.

Guest rockykabir
Just add PIEPlus to PIE and you can access pretty much anything well.

Might give that a try :) - btw, did I mention that the E61 displays 16 million colours? google maps and browsing looks class! :D

Guest confucious
Might give that a try :D - btw, did I mention that the E61 displays 16 million colours? google maps and browsing looks class! :P

But it's omly QVGA as opposed to the Universals VGA :)

Still, it is a nice phone - be better with a camera but nothing to tempt me away from my Universal. Certainly not a bad choice if you're looking for a new phone tho.

Horses for courses and all that.

Guest zoidster

I have always been a fan of Nokia communicators - but for some reason , the 9500 didn't do it for me this time around , had one , got bored , sold it

When i saw the E61 for the first time , it seemed obvious to me that this was the "progression" from the 9XXX - I remember hearing Nokia refer to the 9300 as a "smartphone" rather than a PDA - and I think that Nokia have used that as a stepping stone to turn the businees user from the communicators to the smartphone

- TBH I'll be surprised if we see another S80 device

But anyway , to the point

I ordered one of these (E61) on Three , then , after it arrived , realised that it was a bad idea & sent it back - but before I did , I had a little play - and I have to say it was a joy to use

I have now got one coming from vodafone (I want to try mobile TV out) & I am really looking forward to it

I never thought I'd say this about an s60 handset - but I think I am going to prefer it to my SPV m3100

Guest richard_d
I have always been a fan of Nokia communicators - but for some reason , the 9500 didn't do it for me this time around , had one , got bored , sold it

When i saw the E61 for the first time , it seemed obvious to me that this was the "progression" from the 9XXX - I remember hearing Nokia refer to the 9300 as a "smartphone" rather than a PDA - and I think that Nokia have used that as a stepping stone to turn the businees user from the communicators to the smartphone

- TBH I'll be surprised if we see another S80 device

But anyway , to the point

I ordered one of these (E61) on Three , then , after it arrived , realised that it was a bad idea & sent it back - but before I did , I had a little play - and I have to say it was a joy to use

I have now got one coming from vodafone (I want to try mobile TV out) & I am really looking forward to it

I never thought I'd say this about an s60 handset - but I think I am going to prefer it to my SPV m3100

Does it have enough memory for running multiple apps? That's always been S60 devices biggest flaw (well and it seems less stable than WM5 - but only marginally so). Personally I'd like Nokia to abandon S60 and switch to WM5 - you could get some great devices - can't see it happening though.

Richard

Guest darkin1
Does it have enough memory for running multiple apps? That's always been S60 devices biggest flaw (well and it seems less stable than WM5 - but only marginally so). Personally I'd like Nokia to abandon S60 and switch to WM5 - you could get some great devices - can't see it happening though.

Richard

I have only owned my Nokia E61 for a few weeks now, but I must say that I am very pleased with it.

As I mainly SMS on my mobiles, the qwerty keyboard layout suited me right down to the ground. It only took a few texts to become familiar with the function keys, and I was composing and replying at much faster speeds than previously accomplished.

The 64MB MiniSD card was immediately replaced with a 512MB card, and mainly holds my custom ringtones and wallpaper graphics. I was delighted that these files did not have to be copied onto the main phone index, thus leaving that memory free for other apps. Individual contact ringtones (mine are all truncated mp3 based files) are linked from the contact details to the MiniSD card. This is a feature very sadly lacking from other manufacturers, which insist that you copy the tones into phone memory, wasting that memory and limiting the number of tones available. The same with your custom graphics. No waste of internal memory. Well done Nokia!!!

A major drawback for me, as I am a major texter (mainly SMS, not so much MMS), was the absence of the contact ringtone identifying the sender of the SMS. There wasn't even a murmur about it in the blurb, but my old trusty Motorola E398 was able to do this. I always knew which one of my cracked friends was replying to my SMSs because their contact ringtone would sound off (only playing through once, as opposed to 'repeating until you answered it' with normal voice usage) - and as you can well imagine, because I have had this feature in the past, with such a prestigous unit as the E61, I'd like to see it as a standard feature. Of course, you can assign any built-in tone or custom tone to any of the messaging systems on the E61, but it will only play the listed tone for each type of message, whether it be e-mail, MMS or SMS. I hope Nokia makes this particular feature a standard, or at least brings out an app to do so.

The absence of a camera, personally, did not affect me in anyway. The novelty of the feature wore off with me a long, long time ago. I was also less than impressed with the various claims spouted by the R&D teams. A 2MP camera on a mobile phone does not equate to a dedicated photographic imager. Sorry. It could be seen as a handy feature, but the more I viewed images, the more critical I became of the feature. All of my background and wallpaper screens are from dedicated units, and as such, the image quality is quite obviously higher than that of most (not all) mobile phones and PDAs. I still have images captured from my list of previous phones, but they look like they came from mobile phones. There is no mistake.

The utilities available on the Nokia E61 are all good, I have found. Obviously, not a replacement, but an asset to your computer's tried and tested applications. The ability to view and partially edit features of docs and presentations is handy. One of my first objectives was to implement Adobe Reader from the Adobe site (I downloaded the incorrect one first, and the E61 wouldn't run it, but I did get the correct one in the end) and it gave me limited access the pdf files. I say limited because the phone is obviously not going to load up an eBook or anymore than a few pages. But, to it's credit, it can load a few single page pricelists that I carry around with me. These are indispensible to me, and I thank Adobe Systems for allowing Nokia access to such a handy utility! Don't expect a Mobile Office! It won't live up to that expectation. But, as an access to view some of your documents, it's great. Check that it's what you need first!!!

My last paragraph falls into the category of "Listen All Manufacturers": I am, as well as many mobile cellular network users, quite proficient in computer use. Without compromising the sacredity of your product, you could allow the person who buys your product greater flexibility in moving about it's systems. I remember back when the IBM PC was so rigid, that everybody used the same applications because that's all they could really get. Now we have USB and Bluetooth and Wireless access. But we're really only following those items to the paths and doorways that you have left open. I realise in most cases that this is a good thing - you don't want just anybody fluttering around inside your product. I have long since pondered over a limited pathway system. Where Customisation of your mobile phone was truly advantageous to the end-user, but kept the product as part of the original manufacturers specs. Bear with me this example...

When ON is pressed >MANUFACTURER< logo displayed 10secs

then >CHECKPHONESYSTEMS<

then >PERSONALBMP< displayed for 5 seconds

then >PERSONALMP3< plays once for 5 seconds

then >FINDMISSEDMESSAGES< check network

then >FINDMISSEDCALLS< check network

then >DISPLAYMISSEDALL< list by date/time

then >ASSOCIATECONTACTVOICEANDMESSAGES<

I suppose I could go on, but I am really saying that most people turn away from the mobile phone because they are either far too simple or far too complicated. Yet logic systems are not new. Our real limitations come with limited memory on PDA-type systems - or large memories on inflexible systems - or APP systems where most people are wanting an application but do not have the ability to write one, or don't know where they can go to enquire about it. Wishlists tend to end up on forums, with nowhere a manufacturer to be truly seen. I know that many people want to ask those same manufacturers about product implementations they would love to see, but can't find it on the HomePages.

I have spouted enough for now. I hope a few people have found this worth a read!!!

Regards, D

• 3 months later...

Nokia E61 ?254.95

Nokia E70 ?284.95

So what did you go for in the end?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest clv101
So what did you go for in the end?

I'm still using the Treo 650!

I think I'll get the E61i as soon as it appears though.

I'm wondering what to do about GPS though. I have Tom Tom on the Treo with a bluetooth GPS receiver. What's the best thing to use when I sell the Treo? A stand alone Tom Tom or a GPS solution for the E61i?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xerxes
I'm still using the Treo 650!

I think I'll get the E61i as soon as it appears though.

I'm wondering what to do about GPS though. I have Tom Tom on the Treo with a bluetooth GPS receiver. What's the best thing to use when I sell the Treo? A stand alone Tom Tom or a GPS solution for the E61i?

TomTom 6 runs on the E61 so it should be fine on the E61i. I'm using it on the N73 with no problems but I think it would be better with the E61i's bigger screen.

I don't know how urgently you need to change phones but you might want to think about waiting for the E90, due out in September. It will have an 800x352 screen, a full qwerty keyboard, a built in GPS and a 3Mpx camera. It has a clam shell form factor with a full Series 60 phone on the cover when closed.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4346040