7 replies to this topic

oliverv

oliverv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Films, Music and Gadgets!
  • Devices:SPV C500
Im planning on switching to T-Mobile from O2, mainly to take advantage of the web'n'walk data allowance. The Blackberry Pearl has caught my eye but despite having read through the t-mobile site im still a bit confused, so maybe someone here can offer up some advice.

If I go in to the shop and buy the Blackberry Pearl and get a Flext tariff with the web'n'walk option does that actually entitle me to use the Blackberry services like the email push? (im not even 100% sure that question makes any sense!)

We have a blackberry server at work that I could well be using, so its not the end of the world if I dont get anything as standard. I just dont really understand how it all works and want to be a bit better informed before going in to the shop!

Any advice much appreciated.

chetzy

chetzy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Devices:mda compact II
hey im planning on doing the same thing, ive got an upgrade due.

afaik
to get the push service, u need to pay ?10 on top of your voice contract
or ?15 on a stand-alone blackberry service.

w'n'w doesnt have any impact on the email service, but its handy to have if you want to browse the net,

i was thinking of gettting / finding some sort of pop3 application i could use on the perl to check my emails using data connection and not the blackberry service.

chetzy

chetzy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ps forgot to mention,

if your on a o2 store (not online) contract already you can now add
blackberry service for ?10 xtra monthly if your line rental is ?35 +

also that will give you "unlimited" email and web browsing

- fair usage of 75mb, which may be enough,

so if your happy with the o2 service, then you could do this.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil

ps forgot to mention,

if your on a o2 store (not online) contract already you can now add
blackberry service for ?10 xtra monthly if your line rental is ?35 +

also that will give you "unlimited" email and web browsing

- fair usage of 75mb, which may be enough,

so if your happy with the o2 service, then you could do this.

Isn't the ?10 option to use 02s blackberry server? - if you're using your own then W'n'W should be fine.
I used to have a T-Mob Blackberry when they first came out but now have a WM5 device running Push email from my own server. 75Mb s/be OK with a Blackberry coz they are only GPRS, ny device is 3G and I use 250 - 500 Mb / month - but I can view attachments and do a lot more than you can with a blackberry.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

chetzy

chetzy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
sorry yup knew i forgot something.

?10 is to use the o2's servers , but you mentioned you have work servers so you should be ok.
at moment, o2 data tariffs are very step. so you could ust add it , so u can do the 75mb of browsing.

rockykabir

rockykabir

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Devices:C500
AFAIK, if it is a WebNWalk tariff, using Blackberry will cost you ?5 extra per month (instead with ?10).

Posted Image

oliverv

oliverv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Films, Music and Gadgets!
  • Devices:SPV C500
Cheers for all the info so far. I have a couple more questions that you might be able help with.

I quite like the look of the Pearl as a device whether I use the Blackberry functionality or not. Would this work if I just wanted to get that phone to use like any other, just to make calls and use the web on it. I read somewhere that you couldn't use the internet on the phone unless you sign up for the Blackberry extras. Is that anyones experience?

Im also a little unclear as to how the Blackberry email stuff works. Would i get a new email address that i would have to use to get the push functionality?

chetzy

chetzy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
You could use the blackberry as a "normal" handest, ie. make calls/texts etc

dnt see why you would need any additional services.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users