Skype 2.2 Beta released with new support for Windows Mobile Smartphones

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's been a long time coming... but Skype is finally here (in Beta) for Windows Mobile Smartphones!

skype.png

Posted as Beta version 2.2, the update also adds far better support for low CPU speed Pocket PCs... if a 200MHz CPU has put you off up to now, then you should visit the download page and try it out!

I'm putting it on my P4350 now, and i'll report back with my findings :)

P

Credit: Skype Forums Moderator

Guest Shuflie

I've installed it and they seem to have fixed one of my personal pet hates, it no longer slows down the programs folder on my MDA PRO as it searches for the icon after a reset. :)

ok so i put this in my Wizard and conected it with EDGE and called the test server. i heard my self really well ( i had full signal strengh) and was totaly usable. the test server sounded great could understand all the word she said. i dont have any contacts to call so i cant really test that out and i don't have an account i pay for so i cant call anyone so i can't do a real through test of it. but so far so good. i installed it to my storage card and i dont seam to have any problems with the today plugin or the program. good thing i have an unlimited data account :)

ok so with a reboot of my phone i have ( i have on my today screen the date, messages, tasks, calander, skype, resco today screen plugin with batt statis only, SPB backup on the today screen, and photo contacts pro loaded) 22.12mb free for programs.

once i connect over EDGE and log on to skype i have 16.81mb free. so 5.31 megs to connect to skype and keep it connected not to bad. after making a call i had 15.76 free. so 6.36 megs used. i cant see how many are free after reciving a call but over all not to bad of mem usage.

seams to be a battery hog. to keep the conection alive and make the few test calls i did in the span of about 15 min i went threw 10% of my batt.

Edited by pdtp

Installed it on my i-mate SP5 Smartphone. Puts a welcome and link on homescreen, very nice (see pic.). Signs in OK with interface similar to PC. Have not had a chance to try it as have no contacts on-line. I like it. :)

post-116892-1165960462_thumb.jpg

Guest nickcornaglia

I never really understood the excitment over this app/service. Is this for people who make alot of long distance calls/international calls? I have a decent phone plan and more than enough minutes. Is the intention of Skype just for the above purposes? Could someone enlighten me?

Guest Shuflie
I never really understood the excitment over this app/service. Is this for people who make alot of long distance calls/international calls? I have a decent phone plan and more than enough minutes. Is the intention of Skype just for the above purposes? Could someone enlighten me?

Its biggest attraction for me is the international calling prices, especially if I'm abroad and need to call the missus. It really comes into its own with a WiFI connection, even better if you can get a free connection and are calling someone else on skype. Downside on my phone is that it still hasn't sorted out the speaker connection, would be nice to have the audio come in via the earpiece rather than the external speakers.

I've installed it on my Qtek 8310 and when using Skype all sound comes from the

speakerphone except when using headset.

I've had the same issue with my ETEN M600.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

To complement Shuflie's post:

I'm from Spain, where telephone operators don't offer very good prices.

Instead of using the regular cell net (GSM, GPRS, EDGE, ...), we can use Skype to call land phones for free, using WiFi, that it's also free in a lot of places.

It IS free. That's because we like it.

Salut!

I've installed it on my Qtek 8310 and when using Skype all sound comes from the

speakerphone except when using headset.

I've had the same issue with my ETEN M600.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

its a known bug.

i cant find where i read it but i read it some where on there site.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm not sure it's a bug per se, rather they can't find a way to route sound through the phone speaker, so you need to use a headset.

Would be slick if they figured it out tho...

P

Guest Pagemakers

On my MTeoR the app loads and then auto-closes down as it is dialling a number. Re-booted my phone, and tried about 10 different calls. Each time the same thing happens.

I have Skype loaded on my S620 - Log in is fine on my work wifi connection - I see all my contacts etc ,when I go to make a Skypeout call (to my office PBX) it makes the connection but I can here nothing - same for the Echo test call.

Do not have the headset with me at work so maybe it wil be fine when I try that later tonight.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Treid it with the HTC headset in the mini USB last night but nothing - no sound from either the headset or the phone speaker.

I am connected to Skype and can see my contacts online and offline etc.

Any ideas?

I have Skype loaded on my S620 - Log in is fine on my work wifi connection - I see all my contacts etc ,when I go to make a Skypeout call (to my office PBX) it makes the connection but I can here nothing - same for the Echo test call.

Do not have the headset with me at work so maybe it wil be fine when I try that later tonight.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hey, anyone have any success installing it to a storage card?

I have very little free main mem space on my imate sp5m!

It never gives me the option, though. It just tries to install into main memory and fails intallation every time.

Odd.

If you create enough space on your main memory for it to download then it gives you the option to save to storage card. The other option is to download the CAB file. :)

I'm not sure it's a bug per se, rather they can't find a way to route sound through the phone speaker, so you need to use a headset.

Would be slick if they figured it out tho...

P

Ah, right. So it's not just me then? :)

The installation to my v1240 went without a hitch. I called my home land line and my wife could hear me, but I couldn't hear her.

So I need to use a headset then? That's a bit annoying. :D

Other than that, I'm impressed with its potential. My home phone company charges a 6p connection charge and then 3p per minute, so using Skype on my mobile phone, via Wi-Fi would be a lot cheaper.

Edit: A thought - Skype are advertising a Wi-Fi phone for £99 here. Does that play audio through it's speaker, or does a headset need to be used? How do they manage it with that, but not a mobile? Surely the device can't be that different to using a mobile phone via Wi-Fi?

Edited by sponge

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.